What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:07 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:

That's the one Tango. Believe it or not, he is the brother of ex-Boro player Joseph-Desire Job and owns a Cameroonian takeaway on Bolton Market called Nkono! I took Bruce and LE there on a lunch 'date' last summer. The two of them seemed to hit it off! :shock:

Btw it's Beyoncé, rather than 'The Baseballs'! :lol:
Not so my friend. Apparently, there was a copyright on the Beyonce one if used for commercial purposes (which the show was considered to be) so a cover version had to be used, ie The Baseballs. Check it out. Gee, I almost don't want tomorrow to come because the great adventure will finally be all over. Ah well, the B.B.C have promised us all a D.V.D of the whole thing. I'd do it all over again. :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... +baseballs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

That's the one Tango. Believe it or not, he is the brother of ex-Boro player Joseph-Desire Job and owns a Cameroonian takeaway on Bolton Market called Nkono! I took Bruce and LE there on a lunch 'date' last summer. The two of them seemed to hit it off! :shock:

Not so my friend. Apparently, there was a copyright on the Beyonce one if used for commercial purposes (which the show was considered to be) so a cover version had to be used, ie The Baseballs. Check it out. Gee, I almost don't want tomorrow to come because the great adventure will finally be all over. Ah well, the B.B.C have promised us all a D.V.D of the whole thing. I'd do it all over again. :wink:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... +baseballs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahh my apologies Tango. I misread your original comment. :oops:

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:11 am

Looking forward to part2 tonight! Have had all the family watching it on catch up.Was hoping to see that Ikon frontage gone in part2,but I realise it won,t..Can't the owners of the building see the value of it back in its original state? Pardon the pun,but that is one Ikon ic looking building! :oops: :oops:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:24 am

Can I just point out that the song in question isn't called 'Crazy in Love' this is a common misconception. It's actually called 'The Sami Hyypia Song' as it repeatedly features the line "Sami Hyypia's crazy right now". Check it out for yourselves on this incorrectly named piece.

May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:18 pm

A bit like 'The John McGinlay Song' (aka It's My Life) by breakfast cereal-inspired 90s dance group Dr Allbran.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Ahh my apologies Tango. I misread your original comment. :oops:
These naysayers are the price of fame, Tango.
You aren't posh enough for fine wine and you know nothing about pop music apparently. How dare they!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

One thing I really don't get is the owners reluctance to remove the dreadful 'Ikon' façade. Fair enough, they'd have to spend some money on removing it and shoring up the original façade, but surely they'd have a damn sight better chance of selling/renting it looking like that, than how it currently looks! :conf:
See this is where Bolton council are so myopic about their own town. Okay, it's 2016 and we all accept that the Palais will never return to its glory days as a ballroom dance venue in the past sense : It's just too big and costly to maintain for that. Time has moved on and, much though I'd love to see it different, the once proud and glorious town that was Bolton is now a shadow of what it was. It would need filling three or four nights a week as of old.

That said, the BBC make two programmes about our town for national TV, shown at prime evening time, the Bolton News get the date wrong and miss a chance to really headline the town and I'm betting half the council members don't even know about any of it. What a glorious opportunity to showcase Bolton as a thriving multu-cultural northern town! If that happens it will be thanks to the B.B.C and not the town council. Return the Palais fascade to its former glory, open it as a museum to Ballroom dance, let dance schools operate from it, promote enterprise and publicise social events. What other town outside London and Blackpool has a ballroom as glorious as this? Not Manchester, Rochdale, Liverpool or anywhere else.

But no, the Palais site will eventually become yet another hotel, block of flats, skateboard park, trampoline venue or student accomodation. We apply to be a city and don't even have a swimming baths any more and Bury makes our market look Jurassic. Why we need yet multi-million pound interchange when the main entrance to the town is a one-way street going out of Bolton is beyond explanation.

You make me feel like Dancing? Glenn Miller might, Bolton council, you sure don't.

ps: I know the council don't own the Palais, but they could.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Season one of Fargo. Loved the film, found the series to be even better!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:57 pm

What the blithering crin is Bobby George wearing at the darts?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Just finished Peaky Blinders. Excellent. A British version of Boardwalk empire but better imo
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:12 pm

Watched 'The Big Short' last night.

enjoyed it. had the issue that all films about opaque topics have in that it has to stop and explain the plot to the audience at some junctures, but this was done in a clearly knowing way and it was fun.

Brad Pitt doing his standard 'in it for five minutes but will be a poster star' thing.

Have read the book and would recommend that as well.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

johnadams
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by johnadams » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:33 pm

Experimenter (2015)
http://www.intelligencetips.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/IntelligenceTi ... 749492971/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - best tips !

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:49 pm

am working my way through the first series of Jessica Jones on Netflix...

it's holding its own! in fact - quite entertaining! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:50 am

It mentioned ont' wireless this morning that this evening is the premiere for the new Rocky film. Oh, for feck's sake. They did this to death 30 years ago. Let me have a stab at guessing the plot. Boxer overcomes adversity - becomes heavyweight champion of the world - gets the girl - the end!

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:07 am

KeyserSoze wrote:Watched 'The Big Short' last night.

enjoyed it. had the issue that all films about opaque topics have in that it has to stop and explain the plot to the audience at some junctures, but this was done in a clearly knowing way and it was fun.

Brad Pitt doing his standard 'in it for five minutes but will be a poster star' thing.

Have read the book and would recommend that as well.
:lol: One of the things I found annoying with Wolf of Wall Street was the way they knowingly skipped over the boring details of how some of the stuff was done. Being a geek I was interested in that. I'll have to go and watch this now.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 am

Bijou Bob wrote:Season one of Fargo. Loved the film, found the series to be even better!

...............Season two will play with your head then! Great stuff. Yaa.......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:It mentioned ont' wireless this morning that this evening is the premiere for the new Rocky film. Oh, for feck's sake. They did this to death 30 years ago. Let me have a stab at guessing the plot. Boxer overcomes adversity - becomes heavyweight champion of the world - gets the girl - the end!
Agree. One Rocky ( so was one Rambo) film was enough. Paradise Alley was better than anything that followed. Half the problem now is about overdoing everything. Too many films on the same themes and plots become uninteresting, as do too many books of the same. It's a well known fact that for years there have been only thirty nine possible plot variations, They knock that many out in a week now.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:41 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Half the problem now is about overdoing everything.
Lord of the Rings. They made three x three hour films out of a book that's a centimeter thick comprising nothing other than - big fight, on to the next place - big fight, on to the next place ad infinitum.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord of the Rings. They made three x three hour films out of a book that's a centimeter thick comprising nothing other than - big fight, on to the next place - big fight, on to the next place ad infinitum.
I think you're thinking of The Hobbit. The Lord of The Rings was 3 x 3 hour films out of 3 books.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Beefheart wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think you're thinking of The Hobbit. The Lord of The Rings was 3 x 3 hour films out of 3 books.
That'll be the badger, but Lord of the Rings was still shit (Well, the first one was, I ignored the other two).