Freedman out!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

StaffsTrotter
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Freedman out!

Post by StaffsTrotter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:05 pm

the focus has been shifted to and everyone seems to have picked up on the individual mistake mantra, but isn't this missing the point ?

From reports I've read and seen (of watford & other pre season), the issues that made last season such a turgid chore have been maintained. The team appears set up and coached to be :cautious, passive, slow & predictable, immobile, disjointed, with low intensity & creativity. I say appears, because I can't believe that is the purpose, but it is the outcome with such depressing regularity and no matter the personnel used, that the manager must regard it as the best way of winning football matches and hence be his football philosophy.

I know results are the be all and people are influenced by the last result, but can anyone really say that the club has progressed or turned a corner over the last couple of years. Is there really a sense of direction and does anybody really enjoy what they are watching ?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:37 pm

It's not missing the point, it's pointing out that there are two points.

All three goals came about after horrendous individual mistakes. And, regardless of that, from the people who went it sounds like we were utter wank anyway. We appear not to have a situation where the manager is shit and dragging down good players, or one where the players are shit and dragging down a good manager but worryingly, one where the manager is shit and the players are too! Hooray.

He's also at the Owen Coyle point where it doesn't matter either way, because even if it is all the players, he's had long enough to fire them off/ has signed them himself. He gets a bit of sympathy for the striker situation, but even that is limited. Shit or bust time over the next 8-10 games.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:59 pm

Prufrock wrote:He's also at the Owen Coyle point where it doesn't matter either way, because even if it is all the players, he's had long enough to fire them off/ has signed them himself. He gets a bit of sympathy for the striker situation, but even that is limited. Shit or bust time over the next 8-10 games.
This, but bigger and bolder.
Prufrock wrote:He's also at the Owen Coyle point where it doesn't matter either way, because even if it is all the players, he's had long enough to fire them off/ has signed them himself. He gets a bit of sympathy for the striker situation, but even that is limited. Shit or bust time over the next 8-10 games.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
This, but bigger and bolder.
There is a wider point in that we've changed our manager three times now to try and revert a trend downwards. None of them have seemingly managed to do that. In all cases there has been some short term pay-off but the longer term trend only comes back to bite even harder.

Megson kept us up then got us to a respectable 13th the season after. Before taking us back towards the bottom three.

Coyle kept us up and got us to a resepectable 14th the season after. Before relegating us and leaving us 18th in the championship.

Freedman took us from near the bottom to 7th. Before a poor season in the bottom half of the championship.

There is a pattern emerging there. I'm not saying stick with him regardless and yes the whole "but they weren't the right men" blah blah. Possibly not. But then it does show that we are increasingly limited in choices. And that arguably the people with the experience and know-how to turn things round are not going to think twice about us.

We almost might have been better just sticking with Sammy Lee and seeing where he took us. Would have saved an awful lot of money and possibly left us in a more stable state than we are now.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:02 pm

If after this 8-10 games we're still looking at a repeat of last season then I'm for getting a new manager. Any new manager has to be on the basis that the squad is what you have, you can have a striker on top (loan/min fee) and you work with it. Set some realistic targets and they get to stay if they meet them. We may not have great players, but there is enough there to compete for a top half finish without the fans losing the will to live.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:11 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:If after this 8-10 games we're still looking at a repeat of last season then I'm for getting a new manager. Any new manager has to be on the basis that the squad is what you have, you can have a striker on top (loan/min fee) and you work with it. Set some realistic targets and they get to stay if they meet them. We may not have great players, but there is enough there to compete for a top half finish without the fans losing the will to live.
That is the trouble though, I can't see em lining up for that sort of gig. You're looking at someone out of work and cheap. In other words someone who has been rubbish somewhere else.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:If after this 8-10 games we're still looking at a repeat of last season then I'm for getting a new manager. Any new manager has to be on the basis that the squad is what you have, you can have a striker on top (loan/min fee) and you work with it. Set some realistic targets and they get to stay if they meet them. We may not have great players, but there is enough there to compete for a top half finish without the fans losing the will to live.
That is the trouble though, I can't see em lining up for that sort of gig. You're looking at someone out of work and cheap. In other words someone who has been rubbish somewhere else.
Anyone we can afford is going to be either new or have been rubbish somewhere else. Thing for me is that if shuffling the playing pack results in zero change then we have to find someone that can get more out of them. I don't think we're getting even close to getting the best out of what we've got.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

I have heard he's been given 10 games then his position will be "reassessed".
I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Does that mean Prufrock is Eddie Davies?
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

lovethesmellofnapalm
Reliable
Reliable

Post by lovethesmellofnapalm » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Ive stopped going

I will start to justify spending the ridiculous amount,of money required for me to attend when we appoint a manager who doesnt take the piss.
"A child of five would understand this- send someone to fetch a child of five"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Anyone we can afford is going to be either new or have been rubbish somewhere else.
Or working their way up - for example, yer man Karl Robinson - and therefore untried at this level. Or maybe has been tried at this level and it hasn't worked (but might somewhere else), like Keith Hill. Or someone who has excelled at this level but is currently out of work, like... well, sadly, I don't know, but wouldn't it be nice if we could find another Bruce Rioch – who, before coming to us, was "out of work and cheap" having been bombed out by Millwall? And if that New Rioch could find us a New Branagan for free and a New McGinlay for buttons, then, well...

Excuse me, I may have to go and sob.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Riviman wrote:I have heard he's been given 10 games then his position will be "reassessed".
Ooooohhhh now this is interesting.

Can I enquire where you have heard this?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:30 pm

What I don't get, and I'm a lone voice crying in the wilderness, is: if you've plumes a hundred million quid into a business as a fan, and you can see that not putting any more money in is as unlikely to pay dividends as using astrology to pick your team, why don't you actually recruit a top class manager who does know how to manage. Yeh yeh yeh, I know it'll cost him a bit, but ffs that way he just might get his money back and some. Because one fings fer sure he ain't getting paid with this strategy.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:31 pm

jaffka wrote:
Riviman wrote:I have heard he's been given 10 games then his position will be "reassessed".
Ooooohhhh now this is interesting.

Can I enquire where you have heard this?
Yes. You can ask.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:29 am

10 games seems to be our standard position. Apart from Sammy Lee where they multiplied it by a height factor.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:10 games seems to be our standard position. Apart from Sammy Lee where they multiplied it by a height factor.
10 games seems reasonable. Had we used that for Coyle we may still be bumbling along in the Premiership.

In Doug-larse's case, given his previous from last season, I'd hope we could give him the benefit of the doubt and move things along a little more quickly.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:41 am

I'd be very surprised if he was "assessed" after 10 games - surely it's far more likely that they'll just let his contract run down and then not renew it at the end of the season. As they did with Ngog, Eagles, etc...

Apathy is the new passion.

Anyway, whilst I wasn't intending to go to any matches this season, I'm now quite excited by the thought of our 11th league match - I want to go to see him beat last season's record winless streak.

#MakingHistoryWithDougieFreedman'sSuperWhiteArmy #Yay #Hashtag

Etc.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:59 am

Lee's reign lasted 15 games in all, although three of them were immediately post-Allardyce. Of his 12 games at the start of 07/08 before consensual departure, three were cup games. I'd forgotten that we only lost one of our last six games under him...

(sort of, as an extra-time loss is technically a draw)

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:35 am

Bin Freedman and his goons right now - were going backwards

His tactics are dire, his team selections unfathomable and his purchases questionable

No use moaning without giving an alternative solution

So my solution is to get Jimmy Philips back in the hot seat.......... and tell him to start blooding the youngsters that he has brought through the academy ranks

As a club we're in deep do do, and none of our current crop of failures has been "improved" by Freedman to the point that people are coming up with offers for our players - seriously - when was the last time someone really wanted one of our players enough to offer some decent money for them ?????

As a club, we have been developing talent with a view to getting them in the first team and then selling them on........... the best man to bring this plan to fruition in our Jimmy

Clough, Threlkeld, Riley, Vela, Hall, White, Wilkinson etc

I'd rather watch this lot losing 3 nil away than the 11 couldnt give a shitters that played last Saturday
At least I'd know that it was young players gaining experience to "improve" them for the future than seasoned pros who are never going to "improve"
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:41 am

nelson66 wrote:Bin Freedman and his goons right now - were going backwards

His tactics are dire, his team selections unfathomable and his purchases questionable

No use moaning without giving an alternative solution

So my solution is to get Jimmy Philips back in the hot seat.......... and tell him to start blooding the youngsters that he has brought through the academy ranks

As a club we're in deep do do, and none of our current crop of failures has been "improved" by Freedman to the point that people are coming up with offers for our players - seriously - when was the last time someone really wanted one of our players enough to offer some decent money for them ?????

As a club, we have been developing talent with a view to getting them in the first team and then selling them on........... the best man to bring this plan to fruition in our Jimmy

Clough, Threlkeld, Riley, Vela, Hall, White, Wilkinson etc

I'd rather watch this lot losing 3 nil away than the 11 couldnt give a shitters that played last Saturday
At least I'd know that it was young players gaining experience to "improve" them for the future than seasoned pros who are never going to "improve"
How long has Jimmy Phillips been at the academy? And what is it's success rate in that time? He was being put under pressure by the club a year or so back to produce results.

But hey lets put the "not so succesful, not even fully qualified academy manager" in charge of the whole kaboodle. What could possibly go wrong?