Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by jmjhb » Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm
We need to sack the lot and start again. I'd even take a two season dive to League Two if it:
A) forced Ken Anderson to sell
B) got us a new manager with a teeny-weeny bit of ambition about him...
and C) got us some players who wanted to actually play football...
You're a ray of light these days :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
We need to sack the lot and start again. I'd even take a two season dive to League Two if it:

That's probably a bit too far - as in suicidal.

At the start of last season Wolves brought in a virtual unknown from the Portuguese league to manage and develop their team. Someone at Wolves had done their homework and brought in a team manager with the tough mindedness and single mindedness needed to push them on. Yes, they had much more money than us to recruit players but it wasn't all about money as the manager was very clear about the type of players they needed and was going to play. No random scattergun approach. From the first time I heard Santo speak in a television interview, it was obvious the guy had something about him plus he was more articulate in English than many of the homegrown managers.

That is not a commercial endorsement for that club (some of my friends are supporters though). It is an example of how a manager can change the performance levels of a team significantly.

Whilst new player recruitment is perhaps more interesting for the average fan, it doesn't automatically change anything on the field. The manager is key. That is why I believe we must dismiss the cautious and plodding Parkinson and replace him with the best we can afford as soon as possible, not when we are part way through the next season.
FFS. Citing Wolves who had more money than ANYONE in the league and dodgy links to a Portuguese "super agent" is stupid. Ridiculous.

They spent more on one player than we have in total since 2010. Its an absolute and utter nonsense. The manager didn't change their performance levels. The huge Chinese investment did.

Lets see how Wolves go in the premiership where the money they spend won't be as drastic. But even then,it is an entirely different situation.

Lets compare Parkinson to Morais - a Portuguese bloke Barnsley went for cos he'd worked with Mourinho....how did that work out?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am

Wolves will be fine. The bottom half of the Prem is poor. In fact I'd go as far as to say all the Championship playoff teams are, even now, better than the 3 that went down.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Which says it all about you.

Whilst the rest of us will be renewing our season tickets and thankful that we survived. What an utterly joyless and miserable life you must have. I don't think I've seen a day go by where you haven't been whining, moaning or totally and utterly depressing.

Life is too short. We survived, we achieved the impossible. Enjoy it and hope for better rather than hoping we recreate our lowest point in existence FFS.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 am

jmjhb wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:35 am
Wolves will be fine. The bottom half of the Prem is poor. In fact I'd go as far as to say all the Championship playoff teams are, even now, better than the 3 that went down.
Might well be. But there were a few minor times they were tactically naive even this season. Lets see what happens next year. They've got some good players so if their manager is up to much they should be more than fine.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Whilst the rest of us will be renewing our season tickets and thankful that we survived. What an utterly joyless and miserable life you must have. I don't think I've seen a day go by where you haven't been whining, moaning or totally and utterly depressing.

Life is too short. We survived, we achieved the impossible. Enjoy it and hope for better rather than hoping we recreate our lowest point in existence FFS.
Pot, meet kettle.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 15, 2018 9:48 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:36 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Pot, meet kettle.
Oh indeed. But even I, even I, am not miserable enough to want us to be relegated to league two! Especially after the events of last weekend but one...FFS.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 am
jmjhb wrote:
Might well be. But there were a few minor times they were tactically naive even this season. Lets see what happens next year. They've got some good players so if their manager is up to much they should be more than fine.
I'm sticking money on them finishing 8th.

Think their promotion is a bit of both. I'm pretty sure Owen Coyle could've got them up with the money and recruitment they had. That said, they've been phenomenal and look like a comfortable Prem team already, before they strengthen again. Lot of credit for that goes to the manager.

However, it's all a bit moot in the context, his two previous jobs were Valencia and Porto. He is not the sort of foreign manager we'd be in the market for...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 15, 2018 10:41 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 am
jmjhb wrote:
I'm sticking money on them finishing 8th.

Think their promotion is a bit of both. I'm pretty sure Owen Coyle could've got them up with the money and recruitment they had. That said, they've been phenomenal and look like a comfortable Prem team already, before they strengthen again. Lot of credit for that goes to the manager.

However, it's all a bit moot in the context, his two previous jobs were Valencia and Porto. He is not the sort of foreign manager we'd be in the market for...
Funny you mention that bucktoothed useless c*nt.... saw this earlier today.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... __hopeless_/
“The first sacking of Jim McIntyre was maybe a bit unfair then Coyle came in. Hopeless,” he told the Daily Record.

“It was all right for a couple of games and then we didn’t work on enough things to prepare for games.

“We were training for cakes and Irn-Bru every day when we needed to be preparing for big games in the Premiership.
And to think there were people on here who when it became abundantly apparent Coyle was destroying and rotting our club to its very core, defended him to the hilt.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm
We've had too many fecking lumps with toblerone boots. That's what 8 years of Darren fecking Pratley does to you. You forget what's possible.

We definitely need steel in the middle. Henry has it, Darren has a sort of bumbling energy in there. I'm far from convinced Vela or Karacan have it. So we need one of those (two if Henry doesn't stay). But we also need folk who can, you know, play football.

Even they probably need some physicality about them, we saw how Cullen struggled in the two (though not sure how often he played with Henry). But Christ, no more athletes without ability or brains, please.
Heh, was thinking of this when I read Barney Ronay's Guardian piece on Gareth Southgate's selection criteria:
These have been simple and refreshing. Do not pick players who are not fully fit. Do not pick players who are too old or too slow. Do not pick players who cannot actually pass the ball, who receive possession in the traditional state of panic, as though the ball is a terrible source of shame, the severed head tossed into your lap by some passing Colonel Kurtz to be juggled on your knee and then hurled away with a sneeze of tears.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Tue May 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Don't worry, Spearing is on his way back I reckon. A man I think Bruce summed up perfectly with the phrase "His second touch is always a tackle". Have no fear!
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Forest have announced the release of Jack Hobbs, David Vaughan and Ashkan Dejagah.

Curiously crumple-faced Welsh midfielder Vaughan was a reasonable midfielder in his prime, but he's now 35.

Iranian winger Dejagah was Fulham fans' player of the year in 2013/14, the season they went down; not exactly Felix Magath's cup of cocoa, he left that summer for a Qatari club and it's been bits-and-pieces since. He's 32 this summer and I'd be surprised if Parky took the risk.

In the middle of the last decade, 6ft3in centre-back Hobbs was the next big thing: Lincoln's youngest-ever debutant, wanted by Arsenal and Sam Allardyce's Bolton, he joined Liverpool on his 17th birthday. Didn't break through, went to Leicester (just promoted from the third and looking to carry on) in 2008, won Young Player of the Year then Player of the Year but Sven didn't like him so he joined Hull and became club captain. Joined Forest in 2013 but his last couple of years have been spannered by back and ankle injuries. He's still the right side of 30 and well-regarded, but he'd be a medical risk. One of those you can sort of imagine taking a chance on but also, if not, no sleep lost.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 15, 2018 8:12 pm

It's all a bit like change partners, but end of day it's getting the individuals into a team that counts. Club loyalty died as a factor a fair way back in favour of the best paymasters, but even they are forever patrolling the maternity wards looking for any kid who can head a balloon. Team organising ( according to Dave Wheater at least, and several others), seems to be accepted as one of Parky's strengths, and maybe if he gets lucky with a couple of decent signings we may progress upwards.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 16, 2018 12:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I can tell you the profile I'd look to sign. Athletic, physical and quick. I want us to be physically dominant next season in terms of size, ability to cover ground and athleticism. And to have genuine pace throughout the side to allow us to hit teams on the break consistently. That is the profile I'd personally be looking for.
Right now, I'd stop thinking we're world beaters and concentrate on a side with guts and some fight who'll keep us from going through this season all over again. Realistically and forgetting the pipe-dreaming, that the profile we need to live with. We had Madine who was useful and first decent offer had him away. Unless capital is injected, same thing will probably happen with anybody who looks like an asset. All the other teams will be in the same mind frame. Pray for a financial saviour or shop at Asda.
I second this. I thought we were fine until I had a closer look. Forget promotion and goals galore. Competitive is the short term aim for this season whether by a few goals from midfield or tightening the defence. There's simply too many horrid stats to correct to compete for promotion.
What could've happened; did.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:45 pm
Forest have announced the release of Jack Hobbs, David Vaughan and Ashkan Dejagah.
Jack Hobbs was a Football Manager 2007 must have. Soooo based on that...
What could've happened; did.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:33 am
bedwetter2 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

At the start of last season Wolves brought in a virtual unknown from the Portuguese league to manage and develop their team. Someone at Wolves had done their homework and brought in a team manager with the tough mindedness and single mindedness needed to push them on. Yes, they had much more money than us to recruit players but it wasn't all about money as the manager was very clear about the type of players they needed and was going to play. No random scattergun approach. From the first time I heard Santo speak in a television interview, it was obvious the guy had something about him plus he was more articulate in English than many of the homegrown managers.

That is not a commercial endorsement for that club (some of my friends are supporters though). It is an example of how a manager can change the performance levels of a team significantly.

Whilst new player recruitment is perhaps more interesting for the average fan, it doesn't automatically change anything on the field. The manager is key. That is why I believe we must dismiss the cautious and plodding Parkinson and replace him with the best we can afford as soon as possible, not when we are part way through the next season.
FFS. Citing Wolves who had more money than ANYONE in the league and dodgy links to a Portuguese "super agent" is stupid. Ridiculous.

They spent more on one player than we have in total since 2010. Its an absolute and utter nonsense. The manager didn't change their performance levels. The huge Chinese investment did.

Lets see how Wolves go in the premiership where the money they spend won't be as drastic. But even then,it is an entirely different situation.

Lets compare Parkinson to Morais - a Portuguese bloke Barnsley went for cos he'd worked with Mourinho....how did that work out?

FFS you have totally missed the point which, with you, is par for the course.

The fact that Nuno Espirito Santo is Portuguese is neither here nor there: a new manager from Alpha Centauri b could have all the qualities needed to succeed and let's face it, he/she/it would probably scare the crap out of the opposition.

It is all about qualities for successful managers and while we are speaking about players, how many wealthy clubs have spent 12 or 15m on players who have turned out to be duds. We have our own recent example in Elmander.

But, for you, it's all about money. That mindset is the reason that clubs spend increasingly stupid amounts on transfers due to pressure from fans. I am not, in principle, against buying expensive players, but the first and most important thing is the manager. The current Bolton manager is not, in my opinion, fit for purpose.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

The fact that Nuno Espirito Santo is Portuguese is neither here nor there: a new manager from Alpha Centauri b could have all the qualities needed to succeed and let's face it, he/she/it would probably scare the crap out of the opposition.

It is all about qualities for successful managers and while we are speaking about players, how many wealthy clubs have spent 12 or 15m on players who have turned out to be duds. We have our own recent example in Elmander.

But, for you, it's all about money. That mindset is the reason that clubs spend increasingly stupid amounts on transfers due to pressure from fans. I am not, in principle, against buying expensive players, but the first and most important thing is the manager. The current Bolton manager is not, in my opinion, fit for purpose.
There is an incredibly high correlation between spending and success in football over the last two decades, and the correlation is increasing in strength.

There will be outliers, but the very fact they are outliers are indicative of what is happening.

My point is that Santo promoted Wolves on the back of massive spending. Prior to that Wolves were languishing in the lower half of this league. There is absolutely zero evidence that Parkinson wouldn't have promoted Wolves in those circumstances nor that Santo would have kept Bolton up in our situation.

The notion that the difference between ourselves and Wolves is primarily the manager is absolute nonsense IMHO. It's as bad as Everton sacking Sam Allardyce for a Portuguese wonder who has a record of relegating Hull and being sacked by Watford.

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 am
bedwetter2 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:27 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
bedwetter2 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

There is an incredibly high correlation between spending and success in football over the last two decades, and the correlation is increasing in strength.

There will be outliers, but the very fact they are outliers are indicative of what is happening.

My point is that Santo promoted Wolves on the back of massive spending. Prior to that Wolves were languishing in the lower half of this league. There is absolutely zero evidence that Parkinson wouldn't have promoted Wolves in those circumstances nor that Santo would have kept Bolton up in our situation.

The notion that the difference between ourselves and Wolves is primarily the manager is absolute nonsense IMHO. It's as bad as Everton sacking Sam Allardyce for a Portuguese wonder who has a record of relegating Hull and being sacked by Watford.

We shall have to disagree. Your argument is more about hope/faith that clear evidence. Given more money, you believe (or wish to believe) that Parkinson would be a revelation. I don't.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 16, 2018 11:00 am

bedwetter2 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:49 am

We shall have to disagree. Your argument is more about hope/faith that clear evidence. Given more money, you believe (or wish to believe) that Parkinson would be a revelation. I don't.
Evidence? We know when Parkinson came here his aim was to take us up, he did it under a transfer embargo. A feat that has rarely occurred in football.

Then his target this season was to finish 4th bottom. Something few, especially those outside of Bolton, believed remotely possible. Yet again he did it.

Since Parkinson has been here we've sold £9M worth of players (12M if you count Holding sold just before Parky arrived) and not spent a single penny on a squad that finished rock bottom of the championship amassing just 30 points.

How by any standards does that evidence point to anything other than a spectacular job having been done?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am

Get Sam involved, he's free.

Tenner on Everton going down next season might be worth a punt now.