Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2018 10:28 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:59 pm
Has anyone asked a Charlton fan has to how Bog-eyed Ben the Hologram's got on this season? I see that they've made the play offs.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 am

Meh. He was in no man's land anyway

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Mon May 14, 2018 11:02 am

Not sure how Charlton staying down will affect the possibility of Amos having another season there, whether or loan or even going permanent for a nominal.

Presuming Magennis will be that more inclined to listen to offers from other clubs (ie. Championship clubs) tho before signing on with them again. A quick search suggests he's on £3k a week. Can't quite believe I'm saying this, but we could offer him a better deal than that. :shock:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 am

Guy should have hit it on his third touch.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am

You'll be unsurprised to hear that Shrewsbury's first-leg winner came from outside the box. Fair hit though...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 pm

I mentioned Jon Nolan in the Parky stay or go thread when talking about Paul Hurst. He looks a really good player, he is really good at arriving into scoring positions from midfield. And he seems to work hard, almost like a positive combination of Nolan (Kevin) and Vela.

Everytime I see Macgennis play I am seriously unimpressed. Nowhere near good enough for the Championship imho.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2018 1:02 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 12:13 pm
I mentioned Jon Nolan in the Parky stay or go thread when talking about Paul Hurst. He looks a really good player, he is really good at arriving into scoring positions from midfield. And he seems to work hard, almost like a positive combination of Nolan (Kevin) and Vela.

Everytime I see Macgennis play I am seriously unimpressed. Nowhere near good enough for the Championship imho.
If Wiki is correct Nolan is 26, and has scored 9 in 43 for Shrewsbury. Doesn't scream out to me.

Neither does Magennis for that matter!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Who do you want to see us sign, BWFCi?

Word is Preston want shut of our old target Eoin Doyle, so you might as well say he's not good enough either before you get busy making your own suggestions :wink:
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 am
He should have dropped his run 2 yards earlier to give him space for that first touch
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:21 pm
Who do you want to see us sign, BWFCi?

Word is Preston want shut of our old target Eoin Doyle, so you might as well say he's not good enough either before you get busy making your own suggestions :wink:
Do we have money or not?

Is suggesting that 26 year old lower league journeymen may be a bit risky, that outlandish?

I can tell you the profile I'd look to sign. Athletic, physical and quick. I want us to be physically dominant next season in terms of size, ability to cover ground and athleticism. And to have genuine pace throughout the side to allow us to hit teams on the break consistently.

That is the profile I'd personally be looking for.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:24 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:03 am
He should have dropped his run 2 yards earlier to give him space for that first touch
I meant the first guy, i.e. once he got within 40 yards :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:29 pm
I can tell you the profile I'd look to sign. Athletic, physical and quick. I want us to be physically dominant next season in terms of size, ability to cover ground and athleticism. And to have genuine pace throughout the side to allow us to hit teams on the break consistently.
All that sounds good. How highly would you prioritise the ability to kick a ball?

I'm only half-serious, but it's a serious half. At the moment it feels like we have no midfielders I'd trust to pass farther than ten yards, which might be important for breaks. (Kirchhoff can pass, but he can't pass fitness tests.)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon May 14, 2018 1:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
All that sounds good. How highly would you prioritise the ability to kick a ball?

I'm only half-serious, but it's a serious half. At the moment it feels like we have no midfielders I'd trust to pass farther than ten yards, which might be important for breaks. (Kirchhoff can pass, but he can't pass fitness tests.)
Well I think we've done ok without passers...but I feel we do definitely need stronger, quicker players.

If we have money then it changes and I'm offering city £150M for Silva.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 14, 2018 3:05 pm

We've had too many fecking lumps with toblerone boots. That's what 8 years of Darren fecking Pratley does to you. You forget what's possible.

We definitely need steel in the middle. Henry has it, Darren has a sort of bumbling energy in there. I'm far from convinced Vela or Karacan have it. So we need one of those (two if Henry doesn't stay). But we also need folk who can, you know, play football.

Even they probably need some physicality about them, we saw how Cullen struggled in the two (though not sure how often he played with Henry). But Christ, no more athletes without ability or brains, please.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon May 14, 2018 4:45 pm

It is hard to find a much more physical midfield than Vela, Pratley and Henry in the Championship. Karacan can run all day too. It isn't more of that we need, we need to be able to keep the ball. The Championship is now at such a high level, you can't just concede 70% possession every game and go chasing after it and expect not to have a bad season, particularly on hot days at the start and end of the season. We need Ben Pearson (Preston), Ryan Woods (Brentford) types. And we also need our midfielders to score a few goals and assist too, hence a Jon Nolan type. Vela doesn't seem to be able to do that at this level.

I think it is very unlikely we will be in the Wolves category of wealth even if we do have investment. Ken doesn't appear to want to give up full control, and even in better case scenarios there is FFP to think about. It is highly likely we will still have to be thrifty. If it is to be Parky, I am very intrigued as to how he would spend a bit of money. We have to make vast improvements in all areas of the team just to be remotely competitive, that is for sure.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 pm

If we had quicker CB's we could play a bit higher and squeeze the midfield. That's where many of our midfield problems lie. We look like we get overrun at times, but that's because of the gap between the midfielders and the centre halves. For pace, start at the back and work your way up
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I can tell you the profile I'd look to sign. Athletic, physical and quick. I want us to be physically dominant next season in terms of size, ability to cover ground and athleticism. And to have genuine pace throughout the side to allow us to hit teams on the break consistently. That is the profile I'd personally be looking for.
Right now, I'd stop thinking we're world beaters and concentrate on a side with guts and some fight who'll keep us from going through this season all over again. Realistically and forgetting the pipe-dreaming, that the profile we need to live with. We had Madine who was useful and first decent offer had him away. Unless capital is injected, same thing will probably happen with anybody who looks like an asset. All the other teams will be in the same mind frame. Pray for a financial saviour or shop at Asda.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 14, 2018 6:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 pm

If we had quicker CB's we could play a bit higher and squeeze the midfield.
That's where many of our midfield problems lie. We look like we get overrun at times, but that's because of the gap between the midfielders and the centre halves. For pace, start at the back and work your way up
For sure - this worked notably at Millwall when Burke was in the three, and their somewhat ponderous centre-forwards were snarling on the halfway line. Course you've got to balance that with not conceding at set-pieces.

I'd also suggest that after a quick centre-back, a quick striker's more important than a quick midfielder - stretch them at both ends.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm

We need to sack the lot and start again. I'd even take a two season dive to League Two if it:
A) forced Ken Anderson to sell
B) got us a new manager with a teeny-weeny bit of ambition about him...
and C) got us some players who wanted to actually play football...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

bedwetter2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bedwetter2 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:37 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm
We need to sack the lot and start again. I'd even take a two season dive to League Two if it:
A) forced Ken Anderson to sell
B) got us a new manager with a teeny-weeny bit of ambition about him...
and C) got us some players who wanted to actually play football...

That's probably a bit too far - as in suicidal.

At the start of last season Wolves brought in a virtual unknown from the Portuguese league to manage and develop their team. Someone at Wolves had done their homework and brought in a team manager with the tough mindedness and single mindedness needed to push them on. Yes, they had much more money than us to recruit players but it wasn't all about money as the manager was very clear about the type of players they needed and was going to play. No random scattergun approach. From the first time I heard Santo speak in a television interview, it was obvious the guy had something about him plus he was more articulate in English than many of the homegrown managers.

That is not a commercial endorsement for that club (some of my friends are supporters though). It is an example of how a manager can change the performance levels of a team significantly.

Whilst new player recruitment is perhaps more interesting for the average fan, it doesn't automatically change anything on the field. The manager is key. That is why I believe we must dismiss the cautious and plodding Parkinson and replace him with the best we can afford as soon as possible, not when we are part way through the next season.