Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by palindromeofbolton » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:46 pm
what with being a bit busy just now I didn't know we'd signed anybody, yet Isles is saying that this Dutch fella's our fifth signing.

Can someone do me a favour and point me in the direction of who we've signed and what it is that they do please?

Very much obliged.
Just to add to the full brief you've already had from the other chaps, I find the Wiki page for the season quite handy for keeping track of transfers. Shows you the outs as well as the ins, and obviously links off to the player pages, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018-19_B ... .C._season

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:36 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:59 pm
Havent seen him play before so went to Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR5Ig3VTiDQ

Looks like a talent. Plays on the left, hits it with both feet, loves to attack defenders. With Ameobi on the other wing, defenders are not going to look forward to playing against us, especially if we get a strong pacy # 9.
The issue with Youtube is it only shows the good bits. Remember how excited people got about Daniel Braaten?

I think everyone agrees he has ability, but that he's still raw even at 26. I think he's a great signing, but I also think he'll need good coaching and the right role to get the most from him. Also, hearing from Wigan fans, whoever plays behind him may have some trouble as he's not as keen to defend as maybe he should be. Sammy was like that when he arrived, though - now he puts a real shift in.

Parky backs his ability to improve players. If he can improve this lad then we'll have done a blinding bit of business.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 pm
I like that we seem to be adding pace everywhere, even if it's just a bit. Olkowski and Wildschut are genuinely quick players for their positions. Lowe and Ozzy, whilst not fast, are quicker than the players they have replaced.

Ideally that continues and we add some pace to left back and centre half.

Lack of pace has been a major issue in the side and even if we just improve that a bit it'll be worth it.
Yeah, pace was much needed. His output and stamina are questionable but he's a game breaker. Bull in a china shop.
More of a rugby player build, and power probably why he doesn't last. A weapon in the armory for sure. Hope we can get the best out of him.
What could've happened; did.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:39 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I like that we seem to be adding pace everywhere, even if it's just a bit. Olkowski and Wildschut are genuinely quick players for their positions. Lowe and Ozzy, whilst not fast, are quicker than the players they have replaced.

Lack of pace has been a major issue in the side and even if we just improve that a bit it'll be worth it.
Yeah, pace was much needed. His output and stamina are questionable but he's a game breaker. Bull in a china shop.
More of a rugby player build, and power probably why he doesn't last. A weapon in the armory for sure. Hope we can get the best out of him.
Not heard any concerns over his stamina from anyone I spoke to. Been told he's a frustrating player to manage because he only shows up in half the games, but he's seen as a fit player. Where have the stamina concerns come from?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm
mullayo wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Not heard any concerns over his stamina from anyone I spoke to. Been told he's a frustrating player to manage because he only shows up in half the games, but he's seen as a fit player. Where have the stamina concerns come from?
Averages 41 mins per appearance in Championship. Less than a half. So why isn't he playing full games? Not producing for full 90 mins.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Well, he looks like he's strong, quick, and very, very direct. I won't pretend that I've ever seen him play but at face value, he's of a higher quality than the players I've been expecting us to sign, and, most importantly, seems to be an upgrade on Morais.

I feel quite excited about him.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Wow really surprised we have got Wildschutt. I thought he would be too expensive a loan, as he would be on decent wages after a £7m move and there was competition.

I wasn't impressed with him when I saw him for Cardiff last season, but he looked awesome at times for Wigan before he moved to Norwich. Searing pace, little end product from what I have seen, maybe Parky can get the best out of him?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:56 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:51 pm
Searing pace, little end product
General view, yes.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:04 pm

I think that Wildschut is an important signing because of the tactical options he opens up, rather than him being an amazing individual talent. If he becomes the player he could be he'll be amazing, but even as he is now he's an out-ball and an option on the counter.

Precisely the "type" PP will have wanted, I'd think.

Also shows ambition.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:48 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:41 pm
mullayo wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Averages 41 mins per appearance in Championship. Less than a half. So why isn't he playing full games? Not producing for full 90 mins.

Probably because he's mostly been brought off the bench in the second half. He's played the full ninety enough times for it not to be a concern, and in any case, the winger must be statistically one of the most substituted positions in football. If he was a centre-back and averaging less than a half per match then it'd be worth getting worked up about, but he isn't.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:33 pm

I remember watching Wildschutt for Wigan at Huddersfield two seasons ago, when Huddersfield went up. He scored the winner and Wigan won 2-1. He played through the middle and looked close to unplayable. Huddersfield couldn't cope with his pace on the counter attack. Playing him through the middle, definitely seems an option for us, particularly away from home. It could give us a whole new dimension.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm

It's certainly an option but with Oztumer here it's surely a secondary one. I've just read through a thread on him on one of Norwich's fan forums and two posts in particular stood out:

"Just looked at his goals/assists at Wigan and surprised to see that his ssuccess there was playing on the left, with decent left foot crosses, as well as cutting in and scoring woth very decent right foot shots. Never saw him play on the left for us, or maybe I missed it, but him playing on the right could be why he is less effective as it negates his crossing ability wiith his left foot."

"I don't think his standard is below championship. He'd be fine in a limited but direct team that needs a few wildcard players to scrape points together."

Based solely on the above, we might be just right for each other.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm

Nice to see we've brought in Wildschut, seemed capable for Wigan.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 pm

We should try for Rhian Brewster on loan from Liverpool.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:34 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 pm
We should try for Rhian Brewster on loan from Liverpool.
He's out with damaged knee and ankle ligaments. Won't play until the new year.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:39 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm
It's certainly an option but with Oztumer here it's surely a secondary one. I've just read through a thread on him on one of Norwich's fan forums and two posts in particular stood out:

"Just looked at his goals/assists at Wigan and surprised to see that his ssuccess there was playing on the left, with decent left foot crosses, as well as cutting in and scoring woth very decent right foot shots. Never saw him play on the left for us, or maybe I missed it, but him playing on the right could be why he is less effective as it negates his crossing ability wiith his left foot."

"I don't think his standard is below championship. He'd be fine in a limited but direct team that needs a few wildcard players to scrape points together."

Based solely on the above, we might be just right for each other.
The Flying Dutchman (C) and SAmeobi together will be awesome attacking dribbling team - going to own the dribbles per game statistic.
He reminds me of former Tottenham player Giovani dos Santos. Strong lower body and centre of gravity.

I also agree with Ghost our new tactic should be to sit deeper and counter attack by releasing the Kraken of SAmeobi and Wildchild (C) . We could play Wild Thing (C) in the stadium like in Major League.
He doesn't get a lot of assists but he draws defenders and breaks defences open.

As far as impact on the team may be the best signing so far - Donaldson is old, Oz is tiny, Olki a minor upgrade over Little, Lowe the same for Henry/Pratley.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:58 am

The pace and direct attack power of our team has gone up a lot.

------------------Alnwick------------------------
-------------Whe---------Evers---------------
-Olki---------Vela------Lowe------Antonee?-
------Ameobi-----Ozzy------Wildschut------
---------------------ALF-------------------------

Or sit deep with a 3-3-3-1
------------------Alnwick---------------------
--------Whe-----Hobbs-----Vers---------------
Olki-------------Lowe------------Antonee?---
--------Ameobi---Ozzy---Wildchild----------
-------------------ALF---------------------------

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am

http://www.footymad.com/hibernian/news/ ... ndex.shtml

Lennon and Hibs after ALF!
Can't see it happening.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:23 am

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am

Can't see it happening.
Why not if it Can it help to fund the younger and more powerful # 9 Phill wants.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:54 am

Can't see it happening.

The thing with le Fondre is, I still can't work out how we'll be able to find him a starting place. It's common knowledge that we're trying to spend what little money we have on a centre-forward, and judging by the names rumoured, whoever we sign will be of the target man mould that Parky's so keen on. This, along with the signings that we've made to date, suggests to me that we're setting up to play the same 4-2-3-1 that's been good for us but with players of an improved standard, and with added creativity now Oztumer's in there.

So it all depends on how happy le Fondre is to go through a repeat of last season, and I think it's safe to say that the answer to that is "not very".