Contract expiry

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Contract expiry

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Get Big Wheats sorted.

Well done, Son.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2017/may/da ... he-season/
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm
Get Big Wheats sorted.

Well done, Son.

This, without any doubt.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Fri May 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Get Big Wheats sorted.

Well done, Son.

Really sorry if I've picked this up in the wrong way, but by "sorted" do you mean as in POY award secured, and not: he's signed a contract? I've checked all the usual channels but can't find anything about him having got down and dirty with the quill...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 26, 2017 9:53 pm

palindromeofbolton wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 7:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Get Big Wheats sorted.

Well done, Son.

Really sorry if I've picked this up in the wrong way, but by "sorted" do you mean as in POY award secured, and not: he's signed a contract? I've checked all the usual channels but can't find anything about him having got down and dirty with the quill...
No, no, Chief. It's my plea to the club to get him nailed on.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat May 27, 2017 5:40 am

As a no-knowt with a bad memory... what's the feeling on Amos? How does he compare to the other two goalkeepers? Is the problem the wages? Thanks.
The players you fail to sign never lose you any money.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 am

After a good loan period Amos got a 4 year contract on silly money. He proceeded to be particularly shit in a sea of shit and thankfully loaned out last season in the Championship. The shitness continued and the bench/changing room became home. We've 2 years left of paying silly money for a player we'll struggle to shift even if we pay half his wages.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 27, 2017 7:07 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 am
After a good loan period Amos got a 4 year contract on silly money. He proceeded to be particularly shit in a sea of shit and thankfully loaned out last season in the Championship. The shitness continued and the bench/changing room became home. We've 2 years left of paying silly money for a player we'll struggle to shift even if we pay half his wages.
Nailed. Right there. It was like having a 4ucking hologram int' nets.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 27, 2017 9:09 am

Amos was excellent on loan, but once signed permanently he displayed such a peculiar weakness for rising long-distance shots that some began quite seriously to question his eyesight. Then he got injured, Paul Rachubka came in and we saw what a REALLY shit goalkeeper is like.

It's not (much) Amos's fault he was given such a ridiculous contract. (One theory is that we prepared a Premier-sized deal for Bogdan and, when he went to Liverpool, simply slid it across the table to Amos instead.) He was playing behind an increasingly awful defence at a club falling apart. Had his wages not been so high or so widely discussed, it's possible we'd be welcoming him back and wondering how he might do in a new, much improved set-up. And neither of the keepers signed by Parkinson were entirely consistent; each is capable of a mistake per game. But with finances tight, it wouldn't surprise me to see us try to edge him out again. Question is, to whom?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 27, 2017 11:19 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:09 am
Amos was excellent on loan, but once signed permanently he displayed such a peculiar weakness for rising long-distance shots that some began quite seriously to question his eyesight. Then he got injured, Paul Rachubka came in and we saw what a REALLY shit goalkeeper is like.

It's not (much) Amos's fault he was given such a ridiculous contract. (One theory is that we prepared a Premier-sized deal for Bogdan and, when he went to Liverpool, simply slid it across the table to Amos instead.) He was playing behind an increasingly awful defence at a club falling apart. Had his wages not been so high or so widely discussed, it's possible we'd be welcoming him back and wondering how he might do in a new, much improved set-up. And neither of the keepers signed by Parkinson were entirely consistent; each is capable of a mistake per game. But with finances tight, it wouldn't surprise me to see us try to edge him out again. Question is, to whom?
It isn't just wages. He isn't very good. His weakness became all too apparent and it isn't something that you can fix. Not like poor decision making on crosses.

I'm not sure what is the issue with Alnwick as 1st choice and Howard as back up. Both perfectly good keepers in my view. Neither a worldy and if one were to come along in our budget then that might change things. We may also already have a young one if our coaches are to be believed.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat May 27, 2017 12:12 pm

Hmmm. I definitely got the feeling after the loan that people generally wanted to sign him up. Could be that BWFC is his golden goose and he's thinking about opening a pub somewhere... or getting into property development, whatever they do these days.

I raised an eyebrow at the 2-year deal for A Taylor, surely a similar deal as Karacan would be safer!? Keep motivation, etc.

Converting loan players into decent permanent signings doesn't seem to be our forte. Although the lack of memory is starting to kick in as soon as I say that. Am I wrong? I can't think of anyone who has signed after a loan that has gone on to be really good. I thought McGinlay and Anelka, but wiki says I'm wrong.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat May 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 12:12 pm
Hmmm. I definitely got the feeling after the loan that people generally wanted to sign him up. Could be that BWFC is his golden goose and he's thinking about opening a pub somewhere... or getting into property development, whatever they do these days.

I raised an eyebrow at the 2-year deal for A Taylor, surely a similar deal as Karacan would be safer!? Keep motivation, etc.

Converting loan players into decent permanent signings doesn't seem to be our forte. Although the lack of memory is starting to kick in as soon as I say that. Am I wrong? I can't think of anyone who has signed after a loan that has gone on to be really good. I thought McGinlay and Anelka, but wiki says I'm wrong.
You can start with Campo if you want a smile on your face :D

The thing with Amos is that his loan stint proved he could be a competent enough keeper at our level, but for whatever reason after falling apart under Lennon he couldn't sort himself out at Cardiff. Maybe Parky can rehabilitate him, but financially we need to get rid. I've no idea how Howard and Alnwick will do at Championship level. I suspect they'll not be the worst but no where near the best either. If we get the defence and midfield right then I think we'll be reet with them.

Armchair Wanderer
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Armchair Wanderer » Sat May 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 12:39 pm
You can start with Campo if you want a smile on your face :D
:D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Paul Rachubka came in and we saw what a REALLY shit goalkeeper is like.

Way harsh, Sir!

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Way harsh, Sir!

This video might just persuade you otherwise, Bruce - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XaIewFtTM.

I can only assume that he has the same agent as Ali Dia.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:49 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 1:15 pm

Way harsh, Sir!

This video might just persuade you otherwise, Bruce - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XaIewFtTM.

I can only assume that he has the same agent as Ali Dia.
Some howlers on there for sure, Nicko, but to be honest I couldn't care less how he got on at Leeds, I really thought he did OK at our place.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Rachubka's rate of shots saved was so low it was almost laughable. If the oppo got two or three shots on target it was literally a matter of time.

There's some stats and responses here.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Armchair Wanderer wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 12:12 pm
Converting loan players into decent permanent signings doesn't seem to be our forte. Although the lack of memory is starting to kick in as soon as I say that. Am I wrong? I can't think of anyone who has signed after a loan that has gone on to be really good.
IMG_6394.JPG
IMG_6394.JPG (37.92 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 pm
Rachubka's rate of shots saved was so low it was almost laughable. If the oppo got two or three shots on target it was literally a matter of time.

Have you the same stats for Amos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Bruno and Diouf too.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 pm
Sat May 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Have you the same stats for Amos?
Other than the directly comparable ones further down that post? :D
In that six-game run last season, here are the number of efforts Rachubka faced (in red) and the number that didn't go in (in green).

5 4 Birmingham (A, L 0-1)
4 2 Burnley (H, L 1-2)
4 2 Leeds (A, L 1-2)
3 1 Ipswich (H, D 2-2)
3 1 Preston (H, L 1-2)
8 2 Bristol C (A, L 0-6)

He faced 27 efforts and saved 12 of them, a 44.4% ratio – although it notably dropped after that first game at St Andrews to 8 from 22, or 27.5%. Ipswich had three accurate shots at our place and got a 2-2 draw; Preston had three and got a 2-1 win. It's a big ask to have to score three goals every game, especially when you're only allowing three shots on goal.

For direct comparison, Amos came in and over the next six games:
Reading had 6 accurate efforts and Amos stopped 5
Brentford 7, he saved 4
Derby 8, saved 4
Boro 5, saved 3
Charlton 2, saved both
Cardiff 8, saved 6
...for a total of 24 saves from 36 - or 66%.

Now obviously Amos is a better goalkeeper than Rachubka, notwithstanding his susceptibility to long shots - Rachubka appears to have a susceptibility to about three-quarters of all shots. I just think we must be able to get someone better - and I also suspect that Parky's half-hoping some sucker takes Amos, so we might have a lot more headroom to get good glove-wearers.