Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:08 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:31 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm
I'd very much like to see what happens if we have more of a dribbly LWB and Iredale as the deeper option at LCB putting the ball into the box when it's on.
This, I can see. Although I'd say Johnston probably offers more ball-carrying threat from LCB than Jack (small data-set caveat).
I’d say other way round tbh. From what I’ve seen of Iredale he’s significantly better on the ball than GJ. Not as good defensively though.

Iredale isn’t a wing back. We need to put that one on its head. He can do it in an emergency or when specific tactics dictate but the lad was physically destroyed by about 70 minutes trying to play that role.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:42 am

It’s only the eye test and perhaps I meant not so much ball-carrying (dribbling) as movement in possession - GJ is good at the give-and-go aspect that’s vital to Evattball.

Mind, it feels a long time since I watched Iredale.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:44 am

Iredale carried the ball from higher positions as he played LWB, so not fair to judge him vs Johnson at that. I do believe that playing outside left of the 3, Johnson is better

Personally, I don't rate Iredale. Doesn't beat mean, not particularly quick, not particularly good one v one defending or attacking and always seemed slow reacting at the back post - Seems a little too passive. Most of his crosses in open play seemed to go out for goal kicks too
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:46 am

He didn't rip up trees, but with a full pre-season, I do think Randell Williams will be the pick of the bunch. A little more direct and that's what we need out there

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:23 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:42 am
It’s only the eye test and perhaps I meant not so much ball-carrying (dribbling) as movement in possession - GJ is good at the give-and-go aspect that’s vital to Evattball.

Mind, it feels a long time since I watched Iredale.
Yeah I think thats true. He offers a little more movement. But Iredale is a better passer and crosser and carries the ball more proficiently.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:24 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:44 am
Iredale carried the ball from higher positions as he played LWB, so not fair to judge him vs Johnson at that. I do believe that playing outside left of the 3, Johnson is better

Personally, I don't rate Iredale. Doesn't beat mean, not particularly quick, not particularly good one v one defending or attacking and always seemed slow reacting at the back post - Seems a little too passive. Most of his crosses in open play seemed to go out for goal kicks too
I thought he was a decent crosser tbh. He’s just never a wing back.

And Johnston all round is better at LCB. But Iredale for me is a LB in a four. Good at that. He can also play LCB. But for me that’s it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:40 am

For clarity, I’m glad Jack is at the club because he offers flexibility and cover. I wouldn’t worry about him playing in many games. Just the odd few where we need to carry a threat in several positions.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:03 am

This comes back to what Ghost said. We dunno in IE's mind whether he has WBs or CBs (or LB's) with some of the folks. And sometime's he's probably going to go with a suboptimal fit, until he thinks he's lined up the real deal.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:10 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:03 am
This comes back to what Ghost said. We dunno in IE's mind whether he has WBs or CBs (or LB's) with some of the folks. And sometime's he's probably going to go with a suboptimal fit, until he thinks he's lined up the real deal.
I think this is where we going to see if Evatt is flexible or not - Will he be guided into his system for next season based on what players we have at our disposal, or is going to recruit especially for a particular system?

If we can't find any proper wing backs and we have to play a back 4, he's going to have to shelve any plans for extra front men!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:03 am
I think this is where we going to see if Evatt is flexible or not - Will he be guided into his system for next season based on what players we have at our disposal, or is going to recruit especially for a particular system?

If we can't find any proper wing backs and we have to play a back 4, he's going to have to shelve any plans for extra front men!
Yeah mate, like you, I thought Randy improved towards the back end of the season and hopeful he could be an important contributor with a full pre-season under his belt.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:54 pm

My recollection with Iredale along with the above is he was another who flattered to deceive in the box - he missed a few chances and should have been handier on the end of crosses. Still, lad needs a pre season and a settled role. Not writing him off - particularly if Johnston is attracting interest.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:00 pm

These are all good players for the level. Randy, Iredale, Johnston, Santos, Toal, Jones...I'm happy seeing any of them start games.

We're in a good place when we're discussing tactical issues and suitability, rather than complaining that they're just not good enough.

If we're just talking about the back then the tactical options we need are a keeper who can play with his feet, a centre half who is comfortable in midfield and an attacking RWB option who can run all day.

The biggest tactical issue we had last season was being overwhelmed in midfield. We need to be able to create overloads there and we do that by moving a defender up into midfield and/or dropping a forward back.

If we can get that keeper we can basically outnumber the opposition 11 to 10 in build up and sort out that issue where we get trapped by the press and have to hoof it ineffectually forward.

That's assuming we stick with the current system.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:13 pm

Transfer rumour?!?! Anyone?!?!? :-)

Don't get lulled by the discussion being about tactical suitability, Ghost. We're just playing along. One poor season and they'll all be shite and we told you so... :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:13 pm
Transfer rumour?!?! Anyone?!?!? :-)

Don't get lulled by the discussion being about tactical suitability, Ghost. We're just playing along. One poor season and they'll all be shite and we told you so... :-)
We've offered a deal to Gary Madine. Down to the player to decide. Has offers elsewhere.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 pm
We've offered a deal to Gary Madine. Down to the player to decide. Has offers elsewhere.
The Washing Machine is signing for Wigan, to help with the money laundering.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:20 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 pm
The Washing Machine is signing for Wigan, to help with the money laundering.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:51 pm

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:24 pm

Well that's one striker in! :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:21 pm

He played very well in the FA youth cup game against the Wombles (I did say I watched too much of AFC).

Can't say I know much about him other than that. Looked a busy sort in that game, but without any massively stand-out attributes like pace or power. Presumably why Leeds let him go.

It's an excellent age profile for the Bs. One for Cameron Jerome to work with, perhaps.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:53 pm

How about stand out attributes like goals? Does he know where they are? Pace and power are nice too... :-)