Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:56 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:41 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:45 am
A propos of nowt, I see Fossey played 90 minutes for Fulham last week in the Carabao

They lost 2-0 at Crawley

Still wouldn’t amaze me to see him come back y’know
He's in his last year at Fulham. Would suspect any loan deal here would have to be in Fulham's interests otherwise he's on his way for free (or whatever development value gets attributed). They've already offered him a deal which he turned down, presumably he's being given a chance to stay at Fulham otherwise Fulham lose out. Probably Fulham digging their heels in and not letting him be loaned out knowing it might reflect badly on how he's been developed at a tribunal.

I would suspect we would've spoken about a permanent transfer at the end of last season. Fulham would've asked for too much, another loan therefore would've been out of the question and now Bolton, Fulham and Fossey are left in an awkward situation. As we couldn't stump up the cash it seems only sensible that Fossey would look around, hence the links elsewhere in the summer.

We've got Bradley in, which is a good transfer, but it leaves us with a problem for next summer. Fossey would be ideal as a permanent transfer at the end of this season, which may be part of the plan after all.
I thought the story around Jan/Feb time was pretty much everything was in place for the transfer. Things change relative to time, including the injury, but I'm not sure how that would balance to "we were always looking at the end of the season after"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:09 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:43 am
A mobile ball winner who can play, a proper striker with some pace and in bed with a cup of cocoa by 9pm, please.

Plus a couple of "SHOCK EXIT!" moments, to balance the books and keep the squad lean.
I’m not being funny but since going into league one Evatt has signed Dapo, Kachunga, Baka, Charles, Bod.

Are you honestly saying we need another striker? I get they’ve all started the season with their own issues but that’s 5 strikers all signed by Evatt for the level we are currently at. For two places. How many do you want?

For me a striker signing would have to be someone demonstrably better than the ones we’ve got and short of say Stocktons goal record (and we’d struggle to accommodate him I think) I’m not seeing many where that is the case.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:22 am

We still need another CD for me. Not a "He's between a LB with maybe a smattering of LWB and could on the third Wednesday of a month beginning with the letter "D" be a CB"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:22 am
We still need another CD for me. Not a "He's between a LB with maybe a smattering of LWB and could on the third Wednesday of a month beginning with the letter "D" be a CB"
Sounds like Ghost feels the same. I think Aimson's improvement might have helped me a bit on that score. Still an unknown though.

Have also sadly come round to thinking that we just give brainfart goals away - happened again Tuesday.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 am

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:22 am
Sounds like Ghost feels the same. I think Aimson's improvement might have helped me a bit on that score. Still an unknown though.

Have also sadly come round to thinking that we just give brainfart goals away - happened again Tuesday.
Yeah, I think both Aimson and Johnston have improved over the summer and Geth ain't really a CD. But as demonstrated too many times already, there are goal giving brainfarts in the centre of our defence

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 am
Yeah, I think both Aimson and Johnston have improved over the summer and Geth ain't really a CD. But as demonstrated too many times already, there are goal giving brainfarts in the centre of our defence
Part of it is high-risk tactics. Wheevers rarely conceded brainfart goals because they usually launched it into a different postcode. (That would surrender possession and put us under further pressure, but y'know, swings and roundabouts.)

But part of it is brainfart stuff. Johnston's last season v Morecambe was the classic, but a few of them have had a go this season too. Santos v Wednesday (and arguably Plymouth). Iredale letting his runner go for Wednesday's second. That one v Villa when Dixon was a mile from his near post. Sounds like Tuesday's was a howler too.

Add in that we're still conceding off set-pieces and it's a worry. The set-pieces thing, I still feel it'd a coaching problem (although more big lads might help). The brainfarts, they're down to the players. Better players make fewer mistakes.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:43 am

Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:55 am
All sensible and fair enough. I just have this odd feeling...
Re-signing Fossey would be great. The level of cover and rotation would prevent something that would derail our season.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:43 am
Plus a couple of "SHOCK EXIT!" moments, to balance the books and keep the squad lean.
(1) Who do you think those are most likely to be?
(2) Who would you like those to be?
[/quote]

1) Isgrove, Thomason, John perhaps
2) No-one really

I think the only one that would come as a shock for leaving would be Joel Dixon, given we don't have cover. Suspect he'll not get a contract at the end of this season so any contract offers coming now would be of interest to the player.
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:56 am
I thought the story around Jan/Feb time was pretty much everything was in place for the transfer. Things change relative to time, including the injury, but I'm not sure how that would balance to "we were always looking at the end of the season after"
I think the current state is as a result of the concerned parties not being able to reach an agreement. Anything regarding looking to the season after is a contingency given the situation.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:46 am

^^ I hear you Mar, but fairly sure we were told on here that agreement was already done (pre injury)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:46 am
^^ I hear you Mar, but fairly sure we were told on here that agreement was already done (pre injury)
Yeah, Evatt quote hinted at it, Iles seemed happy. But it was presumably an unsigned verbal agreement, as something went awry thereafter; I would assume player or agent got Champo aspirations.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:59 am

Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:29 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:07 am
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:48 am
I hear you. But it still wouldn’t amaze me. Interesting day ahead, methinks.
When does the window 'Slam shut' ? :roll:
11pm.
With dusty fax machines being wheeled out at 22:45 :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:00 am

Fossey being linked to Standard Liege according to the BN. Absolutely no interest in brining him back here from myself. Bradley is the better player and will start in all important games, so coupled with the cost and injury risk with Fossey it doesn't make sense.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:05 am

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:32 am
Part of it is high-risk tactics. Wheevers rarely conceded brainfart goals because they usually launched it into a different postcode. (That would surrender possession and put us under further pressure, but y'know, swings and roundabouts.)

But part of it is brainfart stuff. Johnston's last season v Morecambe was the classic, but a few of them have had a go this season too. Santos v Wednesday (and arguably Plymouth). Iredale letting his runner go for Wednesday's second. That one v Villa when Dixon was a mile from his near post. Sounds like Tuesday's was a howler too.

Add in that we're still conceding off set-pieces and it's a worry. The set-pieces thing, I still feel it'd a coaching problem (although more big lads might help). The brainfarts, they're down to the players. Better players make fewer mistakes.
Of course on better players making fewer mistakes. Consistency is a lot of what's being paid for in the upper echelons.

I don't think the answer is at the poles "Santos more than makes up for a couple of brainfarts because he can pass" type of thing, more the "content" needs to recognise that in some situations, carting it over the East Stand a la Traff v Morecambe is the best course of action...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:12 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:00 am
Fossey being linked to Standard Liege according to the BN. Absolutely no interest in brining him back here from myself. Bradley is the better player and will start in all important games, so coupled with the cost and injury risk with Fossey it doesn't make sense.
Better all round player. But better attacking player? No.

Not that I think I’d bring Fossey back because we have cover and it’s other areas that are more pressing. However we need to add some of what Fossey offered in other ways. The pace and direct running and delivery are still missing.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:26 am

Bradley doesn't have pace, direct running and delivery? He's not as quick as Fossey, granted, but I'd argue he's better in the other areas you mentioned.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:32 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:26 am
Bradley doesn't have pace, direct running and delivery? He's not as quick as Fossey, granted, but I'd argue he's better in the other areas you mentioned.
His ability to get down the outside and get a delivery into the box certainly doesn’t look close to Fosseys to me and that was Fosseys great strength. He was not only lightning but also strong enough and good enough to deliver something at pace a lot of the time. I don’t think going forwards Bradley is that level yet. He’s a different sort. More of a conventional wing back than Fossey who absolutely was not so good going backwards but high up the pitch was electric. Just different players. We still lack the outlet Fossey gave us and yes Bradley does compensate for some of that and adds some defensive ability too.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:43 am

You've seen more of Bradley than I have, so you may be right, but from what I've seen he looks very direct, a superior dribbler to Fossey, and with an added goal threat. He's not quite as fast, so won't get to the byline quite as easily as Fossey, but I'd argue Marlon's quality of delivery wasn't actually that great. Anyway, this is by the by, as it seems incredibly unlikely we'd bring another starting quality RWB in at this point.

On John, I can't see there would be many clubs willing to take him on. He's probably one of our top earners, we'd likely want a fee, and he's not good enough that there would be loads of League One clubs banging on the door for him.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:48 am

Rumour of Fossey talking to Standard Liege. Might well be good for him, or another "Wish I'd never left Bolton" move. Weird things transfers. Per Frandsen was sold to Blackburn, then bought back by us, and Kev Nolan said he didn't know he was moving till they handed him his bags.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:55 am

Iles: "Nothing is imminent at Wanderers... but they have a few deals going on in the background. The fact Bolton are keeping a few deals on the go does suggest outgoings are possible, though. Should find out very soon on that one, as we are speaking to Ian Evatt in a few hours."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:00 pm

Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:55 am
Iles: "Nothing is imminent at Wanderers... but they have a few deals going on in the background. The fact Bolton are keeping a few deals on the go does suggest outgoings are possible, though. Should find out very soon on that one, as we are speaking to Ian Evatt in a few hours."
Doesn’t sound like we are banging doors down to sign players more like just having something lined up should a bid for one of ours arrive that is too good to refuse.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:13 pm

Some Fossey v Bradley stats, while we wait, per WhoScored... League One games only, values per 90 minutes.

Key passes -
Fossey 1.5 (less than John, Sheehan, Morley and Isgrove, but more than Sarce and Sadlier);
Bradley 1.4 (less than Morley, John, Sadlier but more than Demps and Iredale)

Passes per 90:
Fossey 32.5
Bradley 31.9

Pass completion percentage:
Fossey 70.1%
Bradley 63.9%

Dribbles per 90:
Fossey 1.5 (0.5 successful, 1 unsuccessful)
Bradley 5 (1.8 successful, 3.2 unsuccessful)

Dispossessed per 90:
Fossey 1.1
Bradley 1.4

Unsuccessful touches per 90:
Fossey 2.1
Bradley 3