Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 11:03 pm

Well that sounds splendid. Just doubled back to re-read Brommers’ blog and he seems happy with him at CB too. So, all good.

(Also noticed Brommers had suggested Jerriel Dorsett as a wildcard, which I forgot when I subsequently suggested him when seeking upper-tier CBs loaned to t4 clubs.)
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Tue May 03, 2022 11:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:54 pm
How good is Iredale at centre-back? I like his versatility and I would now be disappointed if he isn’t confirmed - but does he drop straight into the XI, presumably replacing Johnston?
Tough call that. In terms of ‘defending the box/last line of defence defending’ Johnston is better imo.

Iredale offers a bit more athleticism so may be more suited to that higher line and recovery runs (although Johnston isn’t bad at that). Think Iredale would also be an improvement in terms of on the ball ability so would add a bit more attacking productivity to the LCB role.

Tough decision but nice problems to have and all that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 11:06 pm

What about my oft-banged drum of stopping set-piece concessions?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 03, 2022 11:07 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 11:03 pm
Well that sounds splendid. Just doubled back to re-read Brommers’ blog and he seems happy with him at CB too. So, all good.
I know Hull were very interested at one stage and Luton had people at the Reebok for that February game. Then there were strong links (about which I know nothing) to Preston - so it seems the Championship may have been an option. I think getting him would be a statement and may have something to do with him and Gethin being close.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Tue May 03, 2022 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 03, 2022 11:08 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 11:06 pm
What about my oft-banged drum of stopping set-piece concessions?
Iredale is 6'3", so you'd imagine that might be handy.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 03, 2022 11:11 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:07 pm
Tue May 03, 2022 11:03 pm
I know Hull were very interested at one stage
Pre- or post-takeover? Feels like different terrain either side of the watershed.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue May 03, 2022 11:17 pm

Tue May 03, 2022 11:11 pm
Pre- or post-takeover? Feels like different terrain either side of the watershed.
Over the winter. I think they're after more exotic game now.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 2:43 am

The Twitter conspiracy theorists have noted that we have stated that Xav's loan has ended and he won't be returning, but that we didn't mentioned Traf or Fossey.

Fossey's posting a montage of Bolton moments has further fuelled excitement.

I make him the 3rd best right wing back outside the Championship last season. Wilson > Burns > Fossey. Given that he's the least experienced of the three you can understand why so many want him back so badly. If he could just stay fit...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 10:23 am

That Josh Martin looked v good against us for Donny. My only issue would be where he plays. Looked to be your classic right foot cutting in winger. Which we're only playing one of at the moment, and it will be Daps first choice no doubts as long as he's here next year (and probably also Sadlier's best position. Is he getting in ahead of either of those? Can he do the extra defensive stuff on the right? Or can he play out and out up top?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 10:35 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:23 am
That Josh Martin looked v good against us for Donny. My only issue would be where he plays. Looked to be your classic right foot cutting in winger. Which we're only playing one of at the moment, and it will be Daps first choice no doubts as long as he's here next year (and probably also Sadlier's best position. Is he getting in ahead of either of those? Can he do the extra defensive stuff on the right? Or can he play out and out up top?
He can play left, #10 or upfront. You're right that he's similar to Dapo in that regard, but I think he's a more convincing #10 than Dapo. He seems to see pictures a bit better than our beloved hero and my take on the squad is that if we fix the defence we're only missing three things - a young centre forward we can develop, a #10 who can pick locks when teams sit deep and dominant mid who can drop into defence when needed.

We may or may not do that business, but it's what I think we need to do in order to be a "complete" side at this level.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 am

We've only been playing one in that wide 10/narrow 11 position. Which will be Dapo. And also where Sadlier will want to play. And probably at least one of Sheehan and Lee (given Morley, MJ and Dempsey fighting behind them. We might go to a more orthodox 4231, but then only one of Geth and Fossey (or other RWB).

Obviously it's a squad game, but I wouldn't want to use a loan spot for another Amaechi who's going to be 5th choice or so. So it's a question for those who've seen more of him. Do you think he's good enough to jump ahead of that list?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 11:37 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 am
We've only been playing one in that wide 10/narrow 11 position. Which will be Dapo. And also where Sadlier will want to play. And probably at least one of Sheehan and Lee (given Morley, MJ and Dempsey fighting behind them. We might go to a more orthodox 4231, but then only one of Geth and Fossey (or other RWB).

Obviously it's a squad game, but I wouldn't want to use a loan spot for another Amaechi who's going to be 5th choice or so. So it's a question for those who've seen more of him. Do you think he's good enough to jump ahead of that list?
It may be that Evatt sees Sheehan as the man who can make things happen in the final third. If so, fair enough.

It's a bit thorny, because our creativity at the minute comes primarily from two aspects - wing play and the press. Those are great until we come up against deep sides and then things get trickier. We can't press them, because they don't have the ball enough and we can't get in behind their fullbacks because they're just sat there. This is basically what Morecambe did to us and more sides will do it next season.

Against Fleetwood we tried something a bit new and I think positive. It's something I discussed before on here (last season, I think) as a natural evolution of what we do. We went for what was at times a 4-2-2-2. Morley and Thomason worked as a central pairing and hunted together, then we had Dapo and Sadlier shifting between wide and #10 with a pairing in front of them. Sadlier mostly on the flank and Dapo more centrally, but very much two forwards and two strikers for most of the game.

Evatt has talked about playing two 10s as a natural progression of our style and I think it's the direction we'll go against "lesser" sides who try to contain us. We've shifted totally to two-up-top now, which is genuinely interesting to see. Two up with two forwards in games where we expect to have all of the ball looks like where we might head going forward. That means plenty of games for a more natural #10, especially if Sads is also an auxiliary wing back when we go to a 3-5-2.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed May 04, 2022 12:11 pm

Entirely expected but officially confirmed.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 12:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:37 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:15 am

It may be that Evatt sees Sheehan as the man who can make things happen in the final third. If so, fair enough.

It's a bit thorny, because our creativity at the minute comes primarily from two aspects - wing play and the press. Those are great until we come up against deep sides and then things get trickier. We can't press them, because they don't have the ball enough and we can't get in behind their fullbacks because they're just sat there. This is basically what Morecambe did to us and more sides will do it next season.

Against Fleetwood we tried something a bit new and I think positive. It's something I discussed before on here (last season, I think) as a natural evolution of what we do. We went for what was at times a 4-2-2-2. Morley and Thomason worked as a central pairing and hunted together, then we had Dapo and Sadlier shifting between wide and #10 with a pairing in front of them. Sadlier mostly on the flank and Dapo more centrally, but very much two forwards and two strikers for most of the game.

Evatt has talked about playing two 10s as a natural progression of our style and I think it's the direction we'll go against "lesser" sides who try to contain us. We've shifted totally to two-up-top now, which is genuinely interesting to see. Two up with two forwards in games where we expect to have all of the ball looks like where we might head going forward. That means plenty of games for a more natural #10, especially if Sads is also an auxiliary wing back when we go to a 3-5-2.
Aye, I think the flexibility of Sadlier (a winger who can do a job at WB) and someone like Fossey (a wing back but who is very forward thinking is important to that. We're very much "the formation is a starting point only" recently.

The Cheltenham game was interesting in that after the subs Dapo went and played the weird "high wing back/deep winger " role on the right. Think that was mainly about rotation but interesting that that was on the cards.

Sheehan has always looked more of a 10 to me, FWIW. Think it would suit him more from a pressing point of view too in that he wouldn't have to press high and get all the way back like he struggled a bit with in the flat midfield three.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 12:15 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:11 pm
Entirely expected but officially confirmed.
How did we do it last year with precontract signings? Did we announce they'd signed with us in advance?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 04, 2022 12:33 pm

Johnstone was announced v early I think. Early June. Unless European contacts run out sooner?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2022 12:33 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:15 pm
How did we do it last year with precontract signings? Did we announce they'd signed with us in advance?
Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 12.32.39.png
Screenshot 2022-05-04 at 12.32.39.png (374.04 KiB) Viewed 371 times

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm

We are being linked to Zech Medley....finally.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:15 pm
Precisely that, you'd expect. Evatt talks about character and that shows it, I'd suggest. Wants to prove himself.

What it does mean is we need another centre half in and it gives us a chance to get one in who suits our style of play. Someone like Zech Medley, who was on loan at Kilmarnock last season, would fit the bill - but I'm sure there are plenty out there that Evatt could see doing a job. Someone U21 would be ideal at the minute.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2022 1:05 pm

OK, on the assumption Iredale is coming, and mainly for my own clarity, I've picked through various posts to thin down to the right-siders. Who would you go for?

OVERAGE LOANEES
Hayden Carter (Blackburn, 17.12.99) - my description
Conor Masterson (QPR, 08.09.98) - Brommers piece, my description
Taylor Moore (Bristol City, 12.05.97) - Brommers piece
Brandon Cooper (Swansea, 14.01.00) - Brommers piece

UNDERAGE LOANEES
Dynel Simeu (Southampton, 13.3.02) - my description

POSSIBLE FREEBIES (contract extensions notwithstanding)
Tyler Magloire (Blackburn, 21.12.98) - my description
Peter Kioso (Luton, 15.08.99) - my description
Eoghan O'Connell (Rochdale, 13.08.95) - Brommers piece, Bruce's video
Bambo Diaby (Preston, 17.12.97) - my description
Ross Sykes (Accy, 26.03.99, they have an extension option) - Brommers piece, Brommers' forum post
Matty Platt (Barrow, 3.10.97) - Brommers piece
Sam Sherring (Bournemouth, 08.05.00) - Brommers piece

WOULD REQUIRE A FEE
Joseph Olowu (Doncaster, 27.11.99) – a Ghost recommendation. Originally signed to January and then extended to 2023, when Donny were already second-bottom and obviously struggling.
Udoka Godwin-Malife (FGR, 09.05.00) - Brommers piece
Jack Tucker (Gillingham, 13.11.99, out of contract but they would get a development fee) - Brommers piece

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2022 1:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm
We are being linked to Zech Medley....finally.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:15 pm
Precisely that, you'd expect. Evatt talks about character and that shows it, I'd suggest. Wants to prove himself.

What it does mean is we need another centre half in and it gives us a chance to get one in who suits our style of play. Someone like Zech Medley, who was on loan at Kilmarnock last season, would fit the bill - but I'm sure there are plenty out there that Evatt could see doing a job. Someone U21 would be ideal at the minute.
Just as I publish a list of right-siders... this lad's a lefty :D