Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:33 pm
So is Mendes Gomes another in the line of ‘done announced today’ then not announced and disappears?

Certainly something doesn’t feel too right.
Are you suggesting we should just sign players because they've walked through the door or that we do due diligence, prior to putting pen to paper?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
So is Mendes Gomes another in the line of ‘done announced today’ then not announced and disappears?

Are you suggesting we should just sign players because they've walked through the door or that we do due diligence, prior to putting pen to paper?
I’d suggest that the line about ‘due diligence’ is a nonsense. You do that well before they are walking round the club having medicals.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I’d suggest that the line about ‘due diligence’ is a nonsense. You do that well before they are walking round the club having medicals.
So, what are you suggesting occurred with Baccus and Wilson? They just rocked up without any basis of an agreement between the Clubs? I doubt that...

Edit: for me, anything pre contract that satisfies either party they're good to sign is all DD including the medical, which us an integral part of DD.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:52 pm

Evatt said post match to Jack Dearden ‘Close to signing CMG but not done and won’t count our chickens till it’s actually done’.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:11 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:52 pm
Evatt said post match to Jack Dearden ‘Close to signing CMG but not done and won’t count our chickens till it’s actually done’.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... ker-gomes/
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:38 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:11 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The cat is out of the bag, football and secrets don’t really go well together! As far as where we are right now, it is close. It is very close. But it is not done yet and what I’ve learned in this game is until it is absolutely done and finalised, not to count my chickens. We will not be doing any of that over the weekend.

He is multi-functional, multi-dimensional. He can play wide, he can play up front, he can play as a No. 8 or No. 10. He brings the ability to dribble and drive past defenders, to receive centrally in tight spaces and create. I think that is something we haven’t had, so he adds lots of things. He is a player who I have admired for three years – ever since that season in League Two. It has now become achievable for us and hopefully we can get it finalised and over the lines.
No.8! That'd be a thing. I assume "wide" includes WB in those games where we're front-foot.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:38 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

The cat is out of the bag, football and secrets don’t really go well together! As far as where we are right now, it is close. It is very close. But it is not done yet and what I’ve learned in this game is until it is absolutely done and finalised, not to count my chickens. We will not be doing any of that over the weekend.

He is multi-functional, multi-dimensional. He can play wide, he can play up front, he can play as a No. 8 or No. 10. He brings the ability to dribble and drive past defenders, to receive centrally in tight spaces and create. I think that is something we haven’t had, so he adds lots of things. He is a player who I have admired for three years – ever since that season in League Two. It has now become achievable for us and hopefully we can get it finalised and over the lines.
No.8! That'd be a thing. I assume "wide" includes WB in those games where we're front-foot.
"Multi-dimensional"? We're all multi-dimensional, aren't we?
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:48 pm
Not on here, we aren't :mrgreen:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:25 pm

Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Not on here, we aren't :mrgreen:

:D
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:38 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If that's anything like multi-tasking Mrs Sonic said you can count me out :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:05 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:38 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
TonyDomingos wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If that's anything like multi-tasking Mrs Sonic said you can count me out :shock:

Don't do yourself down, Sonic. You're very adept at putting the kettle on while simultaneously dropping a tea bag into a cup!
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:49 pm

Evatt's comments are very interesting. He says it's not done. Bloke at Luton today told me it was done. Obviously Evatt knows best, but I wonder what the difference there is and precisely what hasn't been signed to make the difference. As Evatt says, until it's all finalised he's not our player. If we're waiting until Monday it may be clearances, which would mean another club could technically come in and gazump us; but it'd mean contracts ripping up.

Ryan Strain played for St Mirren, despite being linked here and elsewhere; so that's another interesting one. If that rumour is correct then that makes CMG primarily a "through the middle" attacker.

I'm hoping CMG's versatility doesn't cause us to sit back a bit on other deals and say "We'll have a look again in January." If today's friendly made anything clear it's that we need midfielders in.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:09 pm

It must be a done deal. Surely, you don't start talking about potential signings in public when it's at the "hopefully" stage. I think it's a presentational ploy following a couple of "almost there; oh, we're not". Cast a bit of doubt so it's all the sweeter when it comes off.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:13 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:09 pm
It must be a done deal. Surely, you don't start talking about potential signings in public when it's at the "hopefully" stage. I think it's a presentational ploy following a couple of "almost there; oh, we're not". Cast a bit of doubt so it's all the sweeter when it comes off.
I've been thinking similar myself. He's probably trying to play it down until the official PSG.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:23 pm

I think were it all finalised there'd be other ways to phrase it than saying it's not done.

I take Evatt at his word on this one, but I would be interested to know where the disconnect is.

This is an example of why you never assume you know what's going on from outside the club, because if Evatt hadn't said that after the game I'd have gone to bed thinking he was a Bolton player.

I hope it gets done, though. You could see in the game today, even in the second half where we were much better, where he'd improve us.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:21 am

Aye, Ghost, seen plenty of deals 99% done, with just that last little (often fairly critical) bit left to iron out at the end - not football related in my case...the assumption often is that one side will give in, as the rest is all tied up. Hopefully, this one makes it.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:16 am

Some ITK BWFC podcasters saying that a Belgian player is flying in for talks with Evatt today. No idea who it may be though & they are saying that they have been asked not to say who it is.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:12 pm

Hopefully a midfielder. Good work, Bertie.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:23 pm

I’d check the name - there’s a new trend of inventing transfer rumours with daft names “Justin Berrasin” etc…

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:02 pm

Rumours that it's Sykes. Very unsure about that! Seems like a decent player, but we don't need another centre back!

Suspect that's 2+2=5 given previous links to him + Belgium.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.