Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:01 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:50 pm
Have we loaned a youther as high as D4 in the Evatt era? Progress for sure.
Not only loaning him to Div 4, but as part of a "transfer battle" for his services.

What a time to be alive.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:03 pm

Contract extension for Morley which seems to end some of the recent discussion on here. Clear that Evatt sees him as someone who can do a job for us long term a division higher.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:05 pm

I'm a little bit surprised at that if I'm honest.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:14 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:03 pm
Contract extension for Morley which seems to end some of the recent discussion on here. Clear that Evatt sees him as someone who can do a job for us long term a division higher.
The suggestion we'd move Morley on was nuts and I'm glad it's been put to bed. A deal until 2027 is a big vote of confidence in him, both as a footballer and a financial asset.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:28 pm

Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:50 pm
Have we loaned a youther as high as D4 in the Evatt era? Progress for sure.

Dennis Politic, although, granted, he was perhaps never really a part of the Evatt era.

Carty's debut goal for us was a great finish, and it's seemed clear for a while he's the brightest prospect in our new reserve set-up. I really hope he does well enough to earn a shot in the first team on his return.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:32 pm

Re. Morley: I'm quite surprised at the length of his new contract but Evatt clearly has a great deal of faith in him and, if nothing else, we're tying down a saleable asset.

With a bit of luck, the security he now has allows him to really knuckle down and nail a place in our starting eleven.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:32 pm
Re. Morley: I'm quite surprised at the length of his new contract but Evatt clearly has a great deal of faith in him and, if nothing else, we're tying down a saleable asset.

With a bit of luck, the security he now has allows him to really knuckle down and nail a place in our starting eleven.
Yeah. Morley start of last season was decent, then he drifted our a bit, for me.. I thought Lincoln was his best showing for a while..

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:43 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:32 pm

Yeah. Morley start of last season was decent, then he drifted our a bit, for me.. I thought Lincoln was his best showing for a while..
To me it feels like he’s plateaued a little while the team around him has progressed. Hopefully he kicks on again.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:04 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:03 pm
Clearly its a deal that suits both parties. I suspect that Evatt and the backroom staff would've provided clarity with his position in the squad and what is expected of him going forward, in a manner that works for him. I can't imagine that anyone will be under the impression that he's progressed this season, but I envisage that his familiarity and professionalism whilst becoming a father (IIRC) and being out of the squad has probably shown enough to think he'll be a good use within the squad.
jmjhb wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:05 pm
I'm a little bit surprised at that if I'm honest.
I'm a little surprised as well. The presumption would be that he was the furthest from the contract renewal based on other contract signings:
CMG - New signing
Maghoma - Loan
Sheehan, Dempsey, Thomason - New contract

If we're looking at improving the squad, then the obvious thought process would be who do we replace. Morley hasn't stood out as our best performer, but more of a consistent performer at this level and question marks would be raised as to his suitability in the league above (as would be the case with the rest of our midfield tbf).

It makes sense from a business continuity point of view. Takes a while for players to get up to speed so I don't think a replacement would likely bed in as quickly as keeping him on the books, and we have hit the stick or twist part of his contract. The last few games may have been a tester to see if he can step up and perform at the level we know he's capable.

I'm glad he's renewed his contract, hopefully that'll settle the squad and provide some relief for Morley.

As for Conor Carty. I do wonder how that deal has come about. They may be looking to improve their forward options or we may have been looking to give him a greater challenge. It seems to suit us. 6 goals in 41 appearances in the LOI doesn't exactly suggest he's ripping up trees, but definitely seems like he's being relied upon and learning his trade.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:27 pm

He simply wasn't going anywhere.

The Lincoln game shows he has progressed this season, undoubtedly. That kind of performance doesn't just happen. It's months of work in training and his dev sessions to show that maturity.

Players can make errors, regardless of where they are in their careers. Tactical understanding and comprehension of your role on the pitch exist apart from whether your passes and touches come off. Morley looked like a senior player at Lincoln and it's probably the first time he's looked like that as a 6. He organised play and played as a proper pivot - picking the direction of attack correctly almost every time.

He's played well in games before in multiple roles (and played better than he did on Boxing Day), but he's always looked young. Not a bit of it on Tuesday, no rawness. Running the game at 23.

Now about that left foot...

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:27 pm
He's played well in games before in multiple roles (and played better than he did on Boxing Day), but he's always looked young. Not a bit of it on Tuesday, no rawness. Running the game at 23.
Easy to forget he's only 23. Great performances for a player of his age.

Close in age to Thomason and yet easy to forget he's very close to being a youth prospect given his age.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Mar wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:21 pm
Easy to forget he's only 23. Great performances for a player of his age.

Close in age to Thomason and yet easy to forget he's very close to being a youth prospect given his age.
Think he's less than a year older than Thomason.

Worth noting that Maghoma is younger than Thomason.

Three really talented young players. All of whom can play Championship football.

At the back we have Toal, Forrester and Ashworth. Baxter is young for a goalie. Nlundulu up front is an inexperienced 24. Johnston to come back

We could do with some similar age profiles (or younger) in attack and out wide.

Loads of potential and cash value in the squad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:18 am

Little Matty Sorinola has been released from his contract over in Belgium to find himself a move back to the UK.

He might fancy something down south, as a London lad; but could imagine Evatt and Markham seeing potential there.

22, plenty of games in him (20-odd a level up), went looking for footy abroad, educated at a Cat 1 academy (at the time), etc.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:35 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:18 am
Little Matty Sorinola has been released from his contract over in Belgium to find himself a move back to the UK.

He might fancy something down south, as a London lad; but could imagine Evatt and Markham seeing potential there.

22, plenty of games in him (20-odd a level up), went looking for footy abroad, educated at a Cat 1 academy (at the time), etc.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Leaving aside all potential jokes about whether he could play the Karl Henry role, I see he’s a wingback that can play on either side, which would be a good fit for our current needs IMO.

Intriguing Evatt interview in today’s paper in which he appears to back away from the idea of signings from abroad until we’re Champo - as if we didn’t chase Flick and Baccus (Scotland being sort-of abroad). It’s being spun as a positive but seems to me a retrenchment given those possibilities led to him saying, IIRC, we could be looking abroad in January.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 am

A suggestion from our old mate BWFC Analysis on Twitter (I forget his username on here): Joe Taylor, contracted to Luton Town but currently on loan at Colchester United.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:58 am

For a "poor team" Colchester seem capable of some nice football? There looks to be something very "John McGilnlay " about Joe Taylor. ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:33 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:09 am
A suggestion from our old mate BWFC Analysis on Twitter (I forget his username on here)
Brommers. 🫡

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:59 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
A suggestion from our old mate BWFC Analysis on Twitter (I forget his username on here): Joe Taylor, contracted to Luton Town but currently on loan at Colchester United.

Interestingly, there’s been a bit of debate between Colchester fans in the comments about his attitude. Some fans saying he’s got a poor attitude and some fans saying he’s just frustrated playing in a poor side. I seem to remember similar things being said about N’Lundulu by Cheltenham fans and I think it’s fair to say that’s not really been the case since he joined us.

Colchester have another couple of players worth keeping an eye on this window - 20 year old LWB/RWB Jayden Fevrier (I think Ghost is a fan as well) and 22 year old attacking midfielder Noah Chilvers.

Fevrier is the more exciting prospect, signed on a free after being released by West Ham last year, he’s made 22 starts in the league for Colchester this season, scoring two and assisting four. He’s split his time between RWB and LWB this season but is naturally left footed and looks to be more at home on the left. He’s got pace, power, dribbling ability and can whip a mean ball into the box.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:30 pm

Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:33 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
A suggestion from our old mate BWFC Analysis on Twitter (I forget his username on here)
Brommers. 🫡

Grazie!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:54 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:59 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

Colchester have another couple of players worth keeping an eye on this window - 20 year old LWB/RWB Jayden Fevrier (I think Ghost is a fan as well) and 22 year old attacking midfielder Noah Chilvers.

Fevrier is the more exciting prospect, signed on a free after being released by West Ham last year, he’s made 22 starts in the league for Colchester this season, scoring two and assisting four. He’s split his time between RWB and LWB this season but is naturally left footed and looks to be more at home on the left. He’s got pace, power, dribbling ability and can whip a mean ball into the box.

Do you think he's ready to make the step up?