Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Who opened the door? My money is on Janus! 2024 January transfer thread.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:16 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:02 pm
Didn't recall it coming from Iles, but thought I'd read MF somewhere too.
Evatt said we'd brought him in to compete down the left side (wingback and centre half), but that he could also cover as a defensive midfielder in a pinch. Can't recall which friendly it was, but when my son was talking to him and Forrester they both described themselves as "defender."

Evatt specifically cited Ashworth as covering the absence of Johnston, in the official press release. Something like, "We've brought in a player who can play George's role, but also others down our left side" or some such.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:20 pm

Ashworth's a funny situation. Had he not arrived on this "loan with a view to buy" business I suggest a fair few of us would be suggesting we send him back to free up a slot, Owen Beck-style.

IIRC he was described as a left-sider who could also play more centrally - not the other way round. Most sources prior to his season cite him as a defender (usually a left-back) who can play further forward.

The flexibility is welcome, but the fact none of us know for sure testifies to his stop-start season - actually far more stop than start. Excluding time added on, he played 200 minutes in August but only 146 since. He had a thigh injury for half of September and calf problem from mid-October to late November. And being away on international duty probably also cost him two Sherpa Van games (Salford and Stockport) he really could have done with.

So - dunno, really. Presumably the coaches know whether he's up to it. We fans are working on scraps of info.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:20 pm
IIRC he was described as a left-sider who could also play more centrally - not the other way round. Most sources prior to his season cite him as a defender (usually a left-back) who can play further forward.
Evatt: "Unfortunately losing George, we needed to bring in someone capable of playing that role – and potentially others on the left side – and Zac fits the bill."

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/zac-makes-it-six

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:27 pm

It's probably worth noting that we've also taken our time getting Forrester used to how we play and I don't think anyone is overly concerned there. He's a year older with a bit more experience, yet he's only started 5 in the league.

I'm not sure I'd hit the "return to sender" button myself. You don't tend to throw centre backs in and see how they do like you might with a forward.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:37 pm

No quantitative way of assessing this but personal taste-test suggests the reactions to Forrester's performances have been largely warm, while Ashworth's have been more shoulder-shrug. Maybe that's because Will's run in the team (during Rico's injury and Geth's suspension) came after Geth had been by his own admission off-form. I don't recall anyone saying Randell's place was under threat after Zac's starts against Barrow, Boro and Vale.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:04 pm

Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:37 pm
I don't recall anyone saying Randell's place was under threat after Zac's starts against Barrow, Boro and Vale.
No. And when we needed someone to come in on the left for Randy Evatt went with Iredale.

However, I think Ashworth handled himself very well against Barrow (and he scored the winner), as well as in the other games.

I'd not be worried if I saw his name on a team sheet, but he is definitely behind Forrester. Then again, Thomason was behind Morley last season.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:38 pm

Peter Kioso, who Posh made their captain, is apparently being recalled by Rotherham.

Excellent player. Very good news for us.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:38 pm
Peter Kioso, who Posh made their captain, is apparently being recalled by Rotherham.

Might not be if promotion hungry Posh replace him with someone better ?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:11 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:

A loan to Bolton perhaps.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:11 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:

A loan to Bolton perhaps.
That would be funny. And not the worst signing, given he knows our style and could cover RWB/RCB.

I did wonder about a permanent move, but when loaning him Matt 'Not That One' Taylor said he had a year on his contract after this season, so he wouldn't be in the bargain bin – and there''d be little point them recalling him before a deal is done, unless they wanted to protect their asset from injury.

Also, plenty of chat that he was miserable at ours - although that was in Covid isolation times.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:46 am

Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:38 am
That would be funny.
They are worried (legitimately so) about a few going.

The ones that might spark interest in Bolton fans are Kioso and JCH.

Posh have some expiring contracts and they will look to sell in January if possible, rather than get absolutely nothing. Asking prices are likely to be less daft than they were in the summer.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:14 am

Feels like new Millers boss wants Kioso for his own purposes. Said a couple of days ago he knew whether he was going to recall Peter K and Jamie McCart - who has been lent to Barnsley and been a regular starter, whereas Rotherham have several defensive injuries... so the ex-Wanderer could be doing us a double favour by weakening two promotion rivals at once.

Indeed, Barnsley might get significantly weaker in January. Earlier this month, Tykes boss Neillllll Collins conceded he had no real say in whether their four loanees stay past January. Middlesboro keeper Liam Roberts could be recalled as Michael Carrick's top two keepers are expected to be away at the AfCon and Asia Cup. Burnley might also decide left-back Owen Dodgson, who hasn't got much game time with Nicky Cadden tying down the LWB slot, might be better used elsewhere – although you imagine Luton will be happy with forward John McAtee's return (plenty of game time and 6 goals in 18).

It's not just the loanees, though. Off the field, Barnsley are in what's best described as a state of flux; they have nine players out of contract in the summer – including Cadden, Herbie Kane, Jordan Williams, Devante Cole, Robbie Cundy and Ben Killip – and have a recent history of selling in January.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:30 am

Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:14 am
It's not just the loanees, though. Off the field, Barnsley are in what's best described as a state of flux; they have nine players out of contract in the summer – including Cadden, Herbie Kane, Jordan Williams, Devante Cole, Robbie Cundy and Ben Killip – and have a recent history of selling in January.
Barnsley have done very well to remain competitive with a lot of the off-field stuff going on there. I expected them to be in a similar position to Charlton at this stage - as did most Barnsley fans (and staff, for that matter).

We can't count on clubs collapsing after January. We have to be better.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:30 am
Damn right. Control the controllables. But it’s also OK to hope for fate to be favourable.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:33 pm

Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:08 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:30 am
Damn right. Control the controllables. But it’s also OK to hope for fate to be favourable.
Hope springs eternal. Keep the faith.. :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:37 am

For anyone with a subscription, there’s an ‘EFL ones to watch’ feature on The Athletic this morning focused on our own George Thomason.

https://theathletic.com/5157107/2023/12 ... ed_article

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:01 am

They're also offering 12 months at £1 a month right now so I've signed up!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:21 pm

Carty headed to Donny on loan. Could be a good move for the boy, and a successful spell in League Two would perhaps mean we could at least get a fee for him in the summer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:41 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:21 pm
Carty headed to Donny on loan. Could be a good move for the boy, and a successful spell in League Two would perhaps mean we could at least get a fee for him in the summer.
Bottom of League Two seems like a logical step. Should get in the 11. Obviously hard to go into a struggling side as a forward, but it's a huge chance for him to develop.

If he doesn't make the grade and we get a fee it's still a win, like you imply. If the Bs can pay for themselves and produce the odd first teamer we're really onto something.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:50 pm

Have we loaned a youther as high as D4 in the Evatt era? Progress for sure.