The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:46 pm
^^ Hmmm when we were talking about "housebuilding" you were effectively advocating for something that would pretty much do exactly the same thing - flood (and crash) the market... :-)
Lowering prices through an increase in supply rather than a reduction in demand wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing all round. It wouldn’t crash it. And it wouldn’t saddle lenders with a generation of ‘poor quality’ debt.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:33 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
^^ Hmmm when we were talking about "housebuilding" you were effectively advocating for something that would pretty much do exactly the same thing - flood (and crash) the market... :-)
Lowering prices through an increase in supply rather than a reduction in demand wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing all round. It wouldn’t crash it. And it wouldn’t saddle lenders with a generation of ‘poor quality’ debt.
Not sure I'm with you there - if the Loan to Value ratio is compressed - then there's much more chance of negative equity...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:33 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Not sure I'm with you there - if the Loan to Value ratio is compressed - then there's much more chance of negative equity...
But the mortgages wouldn’t become unaffordable and the market wouldn’t shrink.

It also isn’t like you flood the market suddenly. It’s a drip feed in that obviously isn’t ideal for home owners BUT the generations behind need it and I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to take this hit.

Regardless IF we see sky high interest rates and the market crashes we have the same and worse outcomes without in any way helping the younger generation get on the ladder.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:02 pm

Of course mate. We do indeed. :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm
It looks like when our fixed mortgage rate ends in December, we will be paying an EXTRA £600 per month.
A fluke by way of timing, I guess, but I've got 2.6% until Oct 27. Where my plan is scuppered though is that I'm looking to have accrued enough to just pay the remainder off too at the end of the period. Obviously that part's now in question.

One can only hope that five years is plenty of time for this cake and arse party to have been long since sorted out.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 pm
https://twitter.com/angelarayner/status ... 7RnDDEIadw

Not everyone’s cup of tea I know but a rarity that this tweet actually made me laugh today.

Rayner is certainly slipping into the Prescott role of offering up the humour well.
Angela Raynor is great!

Those interviews with Truss today - Jesus. She was so bad, it sounded like a parody sketch. How have gone from Blair to this?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:21 pm

Angela Raynor is great!
At what? :lmfao:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Angela Raynor is great!
At what? :lmfao:
She's a great MP and speaks well and passionately on a number of issues. Plenty seem to have a problem with her hard, rough edges but I've no idea why. She's genuine and compared to the car crash in number 10 a bloody towering intellectual!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:48 pm

She's a great MP and speaks well and passionately on a number of issues.
Best we just leave it there, mate. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm

The thing is whatever anyone thinks about Rayner she’s streets ahead of Truss. That’s not up for debate. And truss somehow is actually PM.

Rayner has rinsed her twice in the last couple of days and whilst she’s not my cup of tea Id trust her to run the country far more than anyone on the Tory front bench. Which is a sad indictment of the Tories and the joke they’ve become.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:53 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm
The thing is whatever anyone thinks about Rayner she’s streets ahead of Truss. That’s not up for debate. And truss somehow is actually PM.

Rayner has rinsed her twice in the last couple of days and whilst she’s not my cup of tea Id trust her to run the country far more than anyone on the Tory front bench. Which is a sad indictment of the Tories and the joke they’ve become.
Then by that metric the Rayner-rinsing Penny Mourdant should've romped home.

Shame she didn't.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard any of it but Truss was even well and truly hung out to dry by Radio Lancashire's breakfast presenter this morning, and I believe by several others also.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:00 pm

Then by that metric the Rayner-rinsing Penny Mourdant should've romped home.

Shame she didn't.

BTW, I don't know if you've heard any of it but Truss was even well and truly hung out to dry by Radio Lancashire's breakfast presenter this morning, and I believe by several others also.
The metric of the Tory membership and MPs is not the same as that of the electorate.

I see Labour have a 33 point lead in one poll tonight. I wonder how long the Tory MPs will put up with this for?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:00 pm

The metric of the Tory membership and MPs is not the same as that of the electorate.
Er yes, I'm quite well aware of that thanks - I was following your lead.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 pm
https://twitter.com/angelarayner/status ... 7RnDDEIadw

Not everyone’s cup of tea I know but a rarity that this tweet actually made me laugh today.

Rayner is certainly slipping into the Prescott role of offering up the humour well.
Angela Raynor is great!

Those interviews with Truss today - Jesus. She was so bad, it sounded like a parody sketch. How have gone from Blair to this?
Far enough from Blair not to invade Iraq using dodgy dossiers as an excuse thankfully.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:30 pm

Blair deserves to have his legacy tainted by Iraq but not by bloody Tories who were just as keen to wade in as he was.

Similarly, Tories criticised Labour for the run on the banks when they were campaigning for less controls.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:30 pm
Blair deserves to have his legacy tainted by Iraq but not by bloody Tories who were just as keen to wade in as he was.

Similarly, Tories criticised Labour for the run on the banks when they were campaigning for less controls.
Which just goes to prove the point;

You cannot trust any of them

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:45 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I disagree. I think there are a lot of very decent politicians out there. We just never hear about them.
If you're talking about those at the top table, then you might be right.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Blair is the best pm in my lifetime. Minimum wage. Improved schools to a degree no other government has come close. Massive investment into the NHS leaving it performing to the best standard it ever has. It was a period of growth and massive improvements.

Nobody is perfect though.

I’d still have him over anyone who has come since without any doubt.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:52 am

^ Definitely. I'd kill to have Blair and Brown back in charge.

I see Truss has written in the S*n today that she has "an iron grip on the economy". You've only a tenuous grip on reality love. For the love of God, go now!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:15 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:52 am
^ Definitely. I'd kill to have Blair and Brown back in charge.

I see Truss has written in the S*n today that she has "an iron grip on the economy". You've only a tenuous grip on reality love. For the love of God, go now!
We have the second best PM since Blair in waiting. Starmer will be good. And I think they have the belief now. I think he will inherit an unholy mess unlike Blair and won’t be able to do half as much but will sort out this country piece by piece.