The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:10 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:01 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:36 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:05 am
I'd suggest you two actually research this storage angle, yes some is possible over short term, long term it's Not, lack of the 'ingredients' to use disposal of spent units? Slave Labour digging the raw materials, etc. etc. So back to when it's cloudy and the wind don't blow, yes solar works in cloudy conditions but its effectiveness is massively reduced.
Oh here's a good one for you bloke from our bike club works on windmills and those out at sea he has to be lowered by helicopters at 3 grand plus an hour onto them.
So I make that 40,333,333 hours until the helicopter reaches the cost of nuclear disposal for Sellafield. Not to mention the fact it might be cheaper and put them on land, but our glorious leaders have banned that :roll:

Fact is, we need a mix of power, with the majority coming from renewables. Seems to me we should be looking into more tidal and wind power. Them tides are pretty reliable and there is a lot of wind up here, and not just coming from the SNP.

We need to urgently fix how the energy market works. At the moment Scotland produces enough renewable energy to largely power Scotland. We effectively send the power south into the grid and then 'buy back that power at vastly inflated prices due to transmission charges.

Often the independence argument centres around Scotland supporting itself and that North Sea oil is or isn't enough. The way things are going, Scotland's water and renewables could end up providing the answer to that question the Nationalists seek. Without radical reform in so many areas I think independence is inevitable.
Delighted, someone else has spotted the £120bn bill for decommissioning Sellafield. Hobes seems to keep avoiding the subject. But then again having a bloke from your bike club mentioning the 3k pounds to land someone on a windmill - I mean it's like running nuclear power stations comes "free"
You bang on like Sellafield is a huge nuclear power station, it isn't, the high cost to decomision it is due to the nature of its work, the reprocessing plant, one that put us as tech leaders worldwide and could advance costs safety of decommissioning nuke stations in future. But no you'd rather build even more limited time span windmills, the low carbon made out of steel shipped round the world type lol

Bwfci is right there is a compromise but anyone who thinks second hand petrol/diesel cars won't fetch premium prices in 2030 is living in cuckoo land.
I know Sellafied isn't a nuclear power station. It's currently estimated at £25bn to decommission those. It's an "on top" cost of £121Bn required as part of the reprocessing of predominantly, the Magnox fleet. That's for nuclear that currently provides ~16-20% of our energy. The waste is buried in a hole in the ground and will take more years to degrade than you can count. Not a sustainable long term plan - although probably part of the mix, currently.

By comparison you're banging on about 3k to land a bloke from a helicopter and referring to nuclear energy as "cheap".

You couldn't make it up.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:19 am

Gotta love Kwarteng meeting with bankers to tell them not to back against the pound after his budget. Whilst at the same time providing them with the easiest route to their newly uncapped bonuses by betting against the pound...

Oh and it's currently costing us more than Italy and Greece to borrow all this money we're dumping on the kids/grandkids tabs.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:45 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
I'd suggest you two actually research this storage angle, yes some is possible over short term, long term it's Not, lack of the 'ingredients' to use disposal of spent units? Slave Labour digging the raw materials, etc. etc. So back to when it's cloudy and the wind don't blow, yes solar works in cloudy conditions but its effectiveness is massively reduced.
Oh here's a good one for you bloke from our bike club works on windmills and those out at sea he has to be lowered by helicopters at 3 grand plus an hour onto them.
So I make that 40,333,333 hours until the helicopter reaches the cost of nuclear disposal for Sellafield. Not to mention the fact it might be cheaper and put them on land, but our glorious leaders have banned that :roll:

Fact is, we need a mix of power, with the majority coming from renewables. Seems to me we should be looking into more tidal and wind power. Them tides are pretty reliable and there is a lot of wind up here, and not just coming from the SNP.

We need to urgently fix how the energy market works. At the moment Scotland produces enough renewable energy to largely power Scotland. We effectively send the power south into the grid and then 'buy back that power at vastly inflated prices due to transmission charges.

Often the independence argument centres around Scotland supporting itself and that North Sea oil is or isn't enough. The way things are going, Scotland's water and renewables could end up providing the answer to that question the Nationalists seek. Without radical reform in so many areas I think independence is inevitable.
Delighted, someone else has spotted the £120bn bill for decommissioning Sellafield. Hobes seems to keep avoiding the subject. But then again having a bloke from your bike club mentioning the 3k pounds to land someone on a windmill - I mean it's like running nuclear power stations comes "free"
You bang on like Sellafield is a huge nuclear power station, it isn't, the high cost to decomision it is due to the nature of its work, the reprocessing plant, one that put us as tech leaders worldwide and could advance costs safety of decommissioning nuke stations in future. But no you'd rather build even more limited time span windmills, the low carbon made out of steel shipped round the world type lol

Bwfci is right there is a compromise but anyone who thinks second hand petrol/diesel cars won't fetch premium prices in 2030 is living in cuckoo land.
I know Sellafied isn't a nuclear power station. It's currently estimated at £25bn to decommission those. It's an "on top" cost of £121Bn required as part of the reprocessing of predominantly, the Magnox fleet. That's for nuclear that currently provides ~16-20% of our energy. The waste is buried in a hole in the ground and will take more years to degrade than you can count. Not a sustainable long term plan - although probably part of the mix, currently.

By comparison you're banging on about 3k to land a bloke from a helicopter and referring to nuclear energy as "cheap".

You couldn't make it up.
You could though :D
Take the trick of failing to see just how much money Sellafield has taken from overseas countries to reprocessing their spent fuel, ah well I suppose most of it has disappeared to shareholders like as in your firm :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:48 am

Whichever way you phrase it, or keep offering miracle solutions, the only answer is to ask police style, "Who benefits ?" Money is a commodity, colored paper or fancy metal discs the modern equivalent of conch shells. The only answers are in the owners of such. Unfortunately, the old adage about possession being nine tenths of the law protects the ones using institutions (read banks and blame the Crusaders) from a caring sharing world and allows massive accumulation of funds by those having the know-how to manipulate safeguards (read the law again) and make rules protected by the rich and powerful (read bankers, stock exchanges, governments and politicians) for their own benefit. There are people in the world owning ridiculous property and material wealth while at the other end of the scale some people die from hunger or get incarcerated because they can't afford to live. Deny it if you will, it's nothing but the truth.

Now then....what can be done to change it? Answer; as things stand, very little. One day it will all blow up, that's inevitable. Who benefits then?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:09 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:45 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

You couldn't make it up.
You could though :D
Take the trick of failing to see just how much money Sellafield has taken from overseas countries to reprocessing their spent fuel, ah well I suppose most of it has disappeared to shareholders like as in your firm :lol:
No trick at all - how much was it?

Clue: ~£9bn....which went somewhere other than to me (or my firm) - I recall their directors getting multi million payouts. And then there's the leftover tab of £121 bn. I wish I could afford to sell £9bn of revenue whilst getting some other fcuker to pick up the £121bn cost for it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:59 am

It’s pretty good going to crash the economy in three weeks with a mini budget. We all knew Truss was a disaster. I don’t think anyone could have predicted it would be this disastrous though. The Tories 12 years of utter economic shambles have now come to a head as the BoE has to use its reserves to buy long term debt. Purely as a result of a reckless and foolish mini budget that every major economist predicted would have this effect.

We need a mechanism in the uk where we can directly sack these sorts of governments and replace them with some sort of coalition for national interest. I have no idea how such a mechanism could work but let’s be honest there is no way on earth Truss and Kwarteng should be in their jobs a minute longer. And there is no company in the world where they would be following their performance.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:15 pm

It's about 3 days of actual governing too, given the Queen's death.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:42 pm

Has Truss been spotted yet? She avoided tough interviews before getting the gig but where is she now? Shouldn't she be defending her budget and telling us how all the experts are wrong or holding her hands up and saying she's dropped a Matt Hancock?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:42 pm
Has Truss been spotted yet? She avoided tough interviews before getting the gig but where is she now? Shouldn't she be defending her budget and telling us how all the experts are wrong or holding her hands up and saying she's dropped a Matt Hancock?
She’s no leader. Just an empty headed puppet for the IEA wackadoodles.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:12 pm

I hold up my hands to labour when they are mooting a nationalised energy industry, just so long as they keep the bloody unions out it would be warmly supported.
Water next!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 pm

I wonder how much pension funds are going to be negatively impacted by this giveaway? You know the pension funds people were pretty much forced to buy by government economic policy....It's utter chaos.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:47 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 pm
I wonder how much pension funds are going to be negatively impacted by this giveaway? You know the pension funds people were pretty much forced to buy by government economic policy....It's utter chaos.
Indeed. I’ve been speaking to a mortgage broker this afternoon. He thinks the level of exposure in the market is massive and there will be a huge crash and potentially and worryingly a record number of repossessions.

Banks could also be in trouble if as people come to the end of their mortgages they can’t refix anywhere new so the bank or BS is forced to keep the customer on svr and customer becomes ‘bad debt’ since they fail affordability for anyone else hence inability to port. This is the conditions that they fear most.

His prediction is that the housing market alone will drag is into a long recession. Very concerning.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:47 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:19 pm
Indeed. I’ve been speaking to a mortgage broker this afternoon. He thinks the level of exposure in the market is massive and there will be a huge crash and potentially and worryingly a record number of repossessions.

Banks could also be in trouble if as people come to the end of their mortgages they can’t refix anywhere new so the bank or BS is forced to keep the customer on svr and customer becomes ‘bad debt’ since they fail affordability for anyone else hence inability to port. This is the conditions that they fear most.

His prediction is that the housing market alone will drag is into a long recession. Very concerning.
I mean that’s all logical and similar conclusions to I’ve reached on my own. Inflation / cost of living has been an iceberg coming for a while that Johnson failed to do anything about in his final months. Now Liz has come in done the exact wrong thing at the wrong time that has just pushed us towards it at rapid pace.

I’ve said before that my monthly outgoings will be a grand a month more than they were 6 months ago. I’m lucky in that I can just about absorb that by cutting things elsewhere. A hell of a lot of people won’t though. There will be repossessions, the housing market will tank, and we could end up in an economic situation that we only see in far away places on the news.

I’m not sure how we can turn this around now.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:13 pm

I said on here a while ago that it's part of their plan to have people's homes repossessed and sold at cut price to tory land owners.

Seems legit
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm

It looks like when our fixed mortgage rate ends in December, we will be paying an EXTRA £600 per month.

Kiss goodbye to leisure activities. Again, seems deliberate

Less leisure opportunity, means more time for work
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:22 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:15 pm
It looks like when our fixed mortgage rate ends in December, we will be paying an EXTRA £600 per month.

Kiss goodbye to leisure activities. Again, seems deliberate

Less leisure opportunity, means more time for work
And add on energy bills increase and inflation for food etc and you are looking at for majority of middle income families rises close to £1000 per month - if they have a mortgage that isn’t fixed.

And that’s assuming interest rates don’t hit the heights the market is pricing in which of course if they don’t it means inflation likely is even higher and if they do that number becomes so high it is too scary to contemplate.

People are already sacrificing but they will have to sacrifice virtually everything to bring that monthly additional cost down. And in doing so that will further harm the economy and deepen the recession. Add to that the sacrifice is to protect the billions of profit from oil and gas companies, shareholder payouts and handing the richest massive tax cuts.

Everyone in the country suffers unimaginably to protect the very richest. And maybe in ten years some of that hot piss will trickle down and we’ll all have an extra tenner to invest in a new kettle.

It’s the point at which one can imagine a revolution starting.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:24 pm

I hear you Boris. And to some extent, the problem they've tried to solve is at least partially in your control. You do actually have a choice over heating and eating. You actually have fcuk all choice over mortgage rates - you can't "turn it down a bit" or "eat a bit less of it" (other than you pack up and move if you can't afford it)....It's fcuked.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:30 pm

https://twitter.com/angelarayner/status ... 7RnDDEIadw

Not everyone’s cup of tea I know but a rarity that this tweet actually made me laugh today.

Rayner is certainly slipping into the Prescott role of offering up the humour well.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:24 pm
I hear you Boris. And to some extent, the problem they've tried to solve is at least partially in your control. You do actually have a choice over heating and eating. You actually have fcuk all choice over mortgage rates - you can't "turn it down a bit" or "eat a bit less of it" (other than you pack up and move if you can't afford it)....It's fcuked.
The big big issue looming is that if rates get as high or even half as high as the market is pricing in you will have people looking to fix or re-fix who fail the affordability checks now to do so. Their current provider has a duty of care under financial regulation to keep them. And offer them a mortgage under SVR even though said customer would likely fail their affordability checks.

So mortgage lenders are going to be saddled with ‘bad debts’ they can’t move. That’s ok if the market doesn’t crash as they will repossess…I mean ok for them…

If the market crashes though and prices fall as some expect that will leave them saddled not only with bad debts but no recovery options…

And that is the conditions for…………well……

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:46 pm

^^ Hmmm when we were talking about "housebuilding" you were effectively advocating for something that would pretty much do exactly the same thing - flood (and crash) the market... :-)