The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 am

Piers Corbyn is a dangerous, odious, little runt whose breakfast should be porridge behind bars. I don't particularly like Starmer but that was well out of order.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:16 am

A slight diversion from No 10, but if the situation with Russia v The World escalates into gunfire under the current regime (note the careful language.)our problems may seem slightly smaller (not much granted) than those of the Baltic states and the repercussions.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:19 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:55 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:38 pm

This is a moral vacuum right at the head of our country and a never ending tirade of lies from our government. And seemingly nobody in their party with the moral courage to do anything about it.
You're right, but I think there's a little more to it than 'simply' nobody having the moral courage to do anything about it. There are those such as Sunak, biding his time, keeping quiet and waiting for the inevitable (and one way or t'other, it is inevitable), then there are those such as Gove, Shapps, Dorries etc. who are throwing their weight behind Johnson because they'll all be out on their ears just as soon as he is - and they know it, of course.
Sure. But I think allowing this to continue isn’t a good look for anyone involved. And it’s a bit of an indictment of Sunak that given all that’s happened he still isn’t confident Boris would lose a no confidence vote - in fact they think he’d win…

A few are speaking out and I salute them. But it’s a few.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:23 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:36 am
Piers Corbyn is a dangerous, odious, little runt whose breakfast should be porridge behind bars. I don't particularly like Starmer but that was well out of order.
Oh sure. Piers Corbyn an absolute not right. Funnily enough he’s also Johnson’s mate.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/m ... y-old-chum

But there were more than Piers there. A grouping of far right nutters.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:23 am
Hoboh wrote:
Oh sure. Piers Corbyn an absolute not right. Funnily enough he’s also Johnson’s mate.

I think you will find they weren't all 'far right', just a bunch of 'not rights'. I suspect they would have had a go if Bozo had been there instead.
These people have not the brains to see they fuel any anti protest legislation.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:34 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:14 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:23 am
Hoboh wrote:

I think you will find they weren't all 'far right', just a bunch of 'not rights'. I suspect they would have had a go if Bozo had been there instead.
These people have not the brains to see they fuel any anti protest legislation.
You are making a good point there about the danger to freedoms that these sorts pose in terms of allowing legitimising of anti protest legislation just like the insulate Britain nobs.

However I do think this is a far right group or instigated by far right groups as they seem to have links to the far right in US etc….obviously such a term is a bit nebulous but one of the blokes there seems to have links to that and also has been photod with Boris on some occasions as a former Tory councillor.

It’s a mess.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Actually given those named as the ringleaders of all this you could be forgiven for thinking it was the leaders of momentum behind it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:49 pm
Actually given those named as the ringleaders of all this you could be forgiven for thinking it was the leaders of momentum behind it.
It’s linked to the Canadian truckers thing which is linked to far right groups in the US.

Definitely not momentum. Though of course horseshoe effect and all.

Piers Corbyn is not and was not part of the loony left.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:28 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 pm
Hoboh wrote:
It’s linked to the Canadian truckers thing which is linked to far right groups in the US.

Those who are being named are associated with far left groups, but that's besides the point they are the rabble that want removing from society completely, left or right.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:29 pm

Piers is far right. But as you say horseshoe.

There's plenty of this nonsense on the far left though. It could have been them. This lot was an anti-vaxxer thing (which seems to have ended up a far right Bill Gates wants to control us all position v far left everyone should kick down forever so no-one ever dies of a contagious disease again).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:28 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:57 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Those who are being named are associated with far left groups, but that's besides the point they are the rabble that want removing from society completely, left or right.
Who are the mysterious "those who are being named?"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:29 pm
Piers is far right. But as you say horseshoe.

There's plenty of this nonsense on the far left though. It could have been them. This lot was an anti-vaxxer thing (which seems to have ended up a far right Bill Gates wants to control us all position v far left everyone should kick down forever so no-one ever dies of a contagious disease again).
Yeah this. Could just have easily been far left nobbers screaming stuff at him. On this occasion it wasn’t.

Both extremes as bad and dangerous as each other.

Though not sure I’d characterise the far left with lockdown forever. More like let’s attack banks and businesses. But whatever.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:16 am

I think that this is where we'll start to see a few more arseholes start to twitch. John Armitage, Tory party donor to the tune of something like £3m, has called for Johnson's resignation saying he's "past the point of no return", and that he'll "not be giving the party any more financial support as things stand".

A couple more of these and......
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:43 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:16 am
I think that this is where we'll start to see a few more arseholes start to twitch. John Armitage, Tory party donor to the tune of something like £3m, has called for Johnson's resignation saying he's "past the point of no return", and that he'll "not be giving the party any more financial support as things stand".

A couple more of these and......
But it will be dismissed as he’s a remainer and clearly a balanced and moderate bloke.

The Tories are screaming Trump style towards the extremes. And have been for a while. Johnson purged most moderate Tories who were the biggest number now.

The independent did an analysis and reckon whilst there are 100 Tory MPs ready to submit a letter there aren’t half of them prepared to vote against Johnson in a no confidence vote. Which at this stage is beyond scary. He’s got a grip of them like Trump did and the opposition in the party is written off as moderates or malcontents.

Like the Republicans amongst Tory members Johnson has majority support. So instead of showing moral fibre the front bench refuse to break ranks as they know whoever does is dead with the membership who are now on the extremes.

That’s how I see it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:03 am

I think the chances of Johnson fighting the next election are higher than they look. The letters only trigger a vote of no confidence. Theresa May survived one of those, and I don't doubt for a second Johnson has the brass neck to carry on. What did for May were big commons defeats, and dreadful local elections results.

Johnson has a much bigger majority, and as I understand it this year's locals are a set where Labour did very well last time around so potential losses for the Tories are relatively lower.

My other less clear cut reckon is that medium term prospects for them are bad. The Brexit purity test, and deselection and replacement with compliant nodding dogs means there's a dearth of competent conservative MPs. Leads to Nadine Dorries on the front bench ffs.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:14 am

I'm intentionally not politically knowledgeable to have anything more than a broad opinion based on general opinions over seventy years (that's when I started to realise I couldn't put the world to rights by being a dance lover), I was twelve back then and we'd just come off ration books which about sums up the whole muddle as progress, but:

The only solution is for Boris to ask if the knockers have any solutions to rectify the deplorable state the country is in. If so, then he should resign and let them start to put things right. What we don't need is more of the same, which is probably what well get anyway, which is overall why I never really bother with politics. I'll vote to give Labour another chance in a general election,but it's a candle in the wind hope things will change.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:03 am
I think the chances of Johnson fighting the next election are higher than they look. The letters only trigger a vote of no confidence. Theresa May survived one of those, and I don't doubt for a second Johnson has the brass neck to carry on. What did for May were big commons defeats, and dreadful local elections results.

Johnson has a much bigger majority, and as I understand it this year's locals are a set where Labour did very well last time around so potential losses for the Tories are relatively lower.

My other less clear cut reckon is that medium term prospects for them are bad. The Brexit purity test, and deselection and replacement with compliant nodding dogs means there's a dearth of competent conservative MPs. Leads to Nadine Dorries on the front bench ffs.
The Tories have drifted to the extremes. And purged the moderates. And their membership like Labours under Corbyn has become dominated by nutters.

That’s why Boris is there. What brought May down was ministers resigning. But current ones are too scared to be seen as anti Boris because they know it means the members will be against them.

It’s possible he will be here to fight the next election but I wouldn’t be surprised if he eventually walks before then. As I think they will try and grind him down rather than break cover.

The good thing is that I think this all increases the chance of getting shot of them and restoring some decency at the very least. If nowt else.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:30 pm

The doyen of Insano's dazzling opposition front bench has piped up again.

How comforting her words must be to the family of Jean Charles de Menezes :roll:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/s ... tp&pc=U531
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:09 pm

:Jedi:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:30 pm
The doyen of Insano's dazzling opposition front bench has piped up again.

How comforting her words must be to the family of Jean Charles de Menezes :roll:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/s ... tp&pc=U531
Not a fan of hers as I’ve said before. I think worthy and hoboh are though…. :D

She’s just trying to show she’s more Blairite than lefty luvvie Corbynite here though isn’t she?

And the tough on crime message she was giving isn’t a bad one beyond the headline and how it can be spun. I mean we already shoot terrorists don’t we, if we think they are a threat to life. Not sure that’s anything new. And I mean the headline is probably insanely popular amongst the electorate.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Was on Matt Forde's podcast too which is light hearted and bumptious. I'm not sure it should be taken as a reflected policy proposal. She's just making a point on being tough and crime which is important and correct, IMO.

And I'm not a fan either.