Allardyces dream job...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8324
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Course he is. Unforunately I work with plenty of moneygrabbing cnuts as well and some of them are even good at their jobs.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19905
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:And there are still people who will say the FA had a choice....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... l-for-sal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course they had a choice. They'll answer some questions before the select committee. Oh no. That's happened because of the size of the media storm. Utterly irrelevant as to the underlying issues. Sure, it was easier to sack him, but doesn't mean they had to. They picked the easy option. Because they're cowards.
Nah, they are a organisation that comes under public and parliamentary pressure when the shit hits the fan. They are run by shits, but doesn't take away from the fact they had very little choice. Had they stood by him the storm would be unrelenting. Also their whole push for integrity in the sport would be ridiculed to high heaven.

They had no choice in the real world.

In an imaginary one where people can pretend the FA can ignore the media, parliament and their own charter then yes, perhaps they had a choice....
What on earth are you talking about?

1) Parliamentary pressure. Mike Ashley and Philip Green have been before one (sod all happened) it's the nature of a witch hunt. Parliamentary pressure? Behave.

2) nothing you have said goes towards what he actually said or did. Your point seems to be that, by the very fact there was a media fuss, regardless of the rights and wrongs, they had to sack him. Pure cowardice.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8089
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 pm

Yep, much more to do with it looking bad rather than being bad.
...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38312
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:39 pm

lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:Sam Allardyce was/is a moneygrabbing cnut. If he had not managed BWFC everyone on here would be calling him as such
Most likely. It's his connections with Bolton, nothing more, both as player and manager that make anybody care any more than if it were ( fit any of several names here). Sam Allardyce probably wouldn't give me or you) the time of day and I have no desire to be his house guest or even meet him. It's still disappointing that, particularly when the shxt-flinging starts, people remember him as Bolton's ex-manager rather than just another player in the big money league.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35619
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:57 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Wonder just how many of those throwing the stones are actually without sin? Ver few, I would imagine.....
It's certainly crossed my mind, Tango, that it's members of the fourth estate - a body of people including members who were recently hacking the phone of a murdered schoolgirl, doing the mudslinging here.

When exactly did they feel justified in taking to the moral high ground?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4047
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Enoch » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:11 pm

I've always spoken very highly with regard to gentlemen of the press.

:shock:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19905
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:28 pm

I think it's scandalous to make those kind of insinuations against the kind of people employed by those righteous souls the Barclay brothers.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25616
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 am

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:And there are still people who will say the FA had a choice....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... l-for-sal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course they had a choice. They'll answer some questions before the select committee. Oh no. That's happened because of the size of the media storm. Utterly irrelevant as to the underlying issues. Sure, it was easier to sack him, but doesn't mean they had to. They picked the easy option. Because they're cowards.
Nah, they are a organisation that comes under public and parliamentary pressure when the shit hits the fan. They are run by shits, but doesn't take away from the fact they had very little choice. Had they stood by him the storm would be unrelenting. Also their whole push for integrity in the sport would be ridiculed to high heaven.

They had no choice in the real world.

In an imaginary one where people can pretend the FA can ignore the media, parliament and their own charter then yes, perhaps they had a choice....
What on earth are you talking about?

1) Parliamentary pressure. Mike Ashley and Philip Green have been before one (sod all happened) it's the nature of a witch hunt. Parliamentary pressure? Behave.

2) nothing you have said goes towards what he actually said or did. Your point seems to be that, by the very fact there was a media fuss, regardless of the rights and wrongs, they had to sack him. Pure cowardice.
1) Why are you giving examples of individuals who run organisations without the public funding the FA receives? And therefore aren't publically accountable in the same way, so do not experience the same pressure? Were Sam at a CLUB I don't think he'd have been sacked because a football club doesn't come under the same pressure as an FA that receives large amounts of public funding and is not generally viewed as a publically accountable organisation, certainly not in the wider sense

2) And as I keep saying he worked for an organisation that is publically accountable and said things that embarrassed said organisation along with openly sharing information regarding the bending of that organisation's own rules. Additionally had the FA kept him, they'd have been breaking one of the major points within their own charter on conduct and behaviour that they expect clubs to sign up to.

The FA doesn't have anything LIKE the luxury of free decision making you think it does.

dave the minion
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by dave the minion » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
lovethesmellofnapalm wrote:Sam Allardyce was/is a moneygrabbing cnut. If he had not managed BWFC everyone on here would be calling him as such
Most likely. It's his connections with Bolton, nothing more, both as player and manager that make anybody care any more than if it were ( fit any of several names here). Sam Allardyce probably wouldn't give me or you) the time of day and I have no desire to be his house guest or even meet him. It's still disappointing that, particularly when the shxt-flinging starts, people remember him as Bolton's ex-manager rather than just another player in the big money league.
To be fair, when I was a nipper Big Sam used to help out with managing my Sunday League team (by virtue of his Son, Craig, also playing for them).

From what I remember he was a thoroughly nice guy, and even though the media have had it in for him since he was managing us, he is incredibly well liked and respected within the game.

His big - in fact only - problem in all this is as has been said before - he's just been stupid. What he did or didnt say is hardly earth-shattering, but by being a bit daft and opening his mouth he did effectively give the FA no choice: If they didn't act, and by act I mean do what they did, they would be dragged into the controversy and the media would be accusing them of being comoplicit in corruption and dodgy deals. On the back of everything recently with FIFA etc they had to come out of this whiter than white, which meant he had to go.

Shame though - Bolton connections or not - I think its very sad to see someone who has clearly worked and worked to get the job of his dreams - and have a real genuine chance of doing something good with the England team (we are not going to win a tournament for a long time, probably not even under Sam, but I think he could have got them playing in a way that would have restored a lot of pride) - only for it to be taken away from him in such a brief moment of stupidity.....
Image

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2435
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:56 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:45 pm

Mr. Allardyce, if you're reading this, let me tell you about the lovely mild climate and fine restaurants Seattle has to offer . . .

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19905
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:And there are still people who will say the FA had a choice....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... l-for-sal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course they had a choice. They'll answer some questions before the select committee. Oh no. That's happened because of the size of the media storm. Utterly irrelevant as to the underlying issues. Sure, it was easier to sack him, but doesn't mean they had to. They picked the easy option. Because they're cowards.
Nah, they are a organisation that comes under public and parliamentary pressure when the shit hits the fan. They are run by shits, but doesn't take away from the fact they had very little choice. Had they stood by him the storm would be unrelenting. Also their whole push for integrity in the sport would be ridiculed to high heaven.

They had no choice in the real world.

In an imaginary one where people can pretend the FA can ignore the media, parliament and their own charter then yes, perhaps they had a choice....
What on earth are you talking about?

1) Parliamentary pressure. Mike Ashley and Philip Green have been before one (sod all happened) it's the nature of a witch hunt. Parliamentary pressure? Behave.

2) nothing you have said goes towards what he actually said or did. Your point seems to be that, by the very fact there was a media fuss, regardless of the rights and wrongs, they had to sack him. Pure cowardice.
1) Why are you giving examples of individuals who run organisations without the public funding the FA receives? And therefore aren't publically accountable in the same way, so do not experience the same pressure? Were Sam at a CLUB I don't think he'd have been sacked because a football club doesn't come under the same pressure as an FA that receives large amounts of public funding and is not generally viewed as a publically accountable organisation, certainly not in the wider sense

2) And as I keep saying he worked for an organisation that is publically accountable and said things that embarrassed said organisation along with openly sharing information regarding the bending of that organisation's own rules. Additionally had the FA kept him, they'd have been breaking one of the major points within their own charter on conduct and behaviour that they expect clubs to sign up to.

The FA doesn't have anything LIKE the luxury of free decision making you think it does.
1) because you presented the FA being called before a select committee as an example of the unbearable public positron the FA finds itself in. Well, no. They follow the news. And, as you point out, often question people who run organisations nothing to do with them. That a select committee is looking into this is utterly irrelevant unless you think media pressure in and of itself means he should be sacked. Which is pure cowardice.

2) absolute waffle. That's just platitudes. I've explained on more than one occasion how what he said is fine. You've got nothing. This isn't tax avoidance. It isn't technically legal but morally suspect. The point of those rules was to prevent third party ownership. What he was talking about was buying players outright (literally the aim of the rules) and including various sell on clauses which fallen all the time and are perfectly legal. The only thing that makes this a scandal is the press banging on about "getting around" rules. A leading phrase introduced by the journalist and which didn't actually describe what happened.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12680
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:27 am

H. Pedersen wrote:Mr. Allardyce, if you're reading this, let me tell you about the lovely mild climate and fine restaurants Seattle has to offer . . .
Lovely climate??? It's always bloody raining in Seattle, H.P. Raining hard too.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4047
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Enoch » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:25 am

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:What on earth are you talking about?

1) Parliamentary pressure. Mike Ashley and Philip Green have been before one (sod all happened) it's the nature of a witch hunt. Parliamentary pressure? Behave.

2) nothing you have said goes towards what he actually said or did. Your point seems to be that, by the very fact there was a media fuss, regardless of the rights and wrongs, they had to sack him. Pure cowardice.
1) Why are you giving examples of individuals who run organisations without the public funding the FA receives? And therefore aren't publically accountable in the same way, so do not experience the same pressure? Were Sam at a CLUB I don't think he'd have been sacked because a football club doesn't come under the same pressure as an FA that receives large amounts of public funding and is not generally viewed as a publically accountable organisation, certainly not in the wider sense

2) And as I keep saying he worked for an organisation that is publically accountable and said things that embarrassed said organisation along with openly sharing information regarding the bending of that organisation's own rules. Additionally had the FA kept him, they'd have been breaking one of the major points within their own charter on conduct and behaviour that they expect clubs to sign up to.

The FA doesn't have anything LIKE the luxury of free decision making you think it does.
1) because you presented the FA being called before a select committee as an example of the unbearable public positron the FA finds itself in. Well, no. They follow the news. And, as you point out, often question people who run organisations nothing to do with them. That a select committee is looking into this is utterly irrelevant unless you think media pressure in and of itself means he should be sacked. Which is pure cowardice.

2) absolute waffle. That's just platitudes. I've explained on more than one occasion how what he said is fine. You've got nothing. This isn't tax avoidance. It isn't technically legal but morally suspect. The point of those rules was to prevent third party ownership. What he was talking about was buying players outright (literally the aim of the rules) and including various sell on clauses which fallen all the time and are perfectly legal. The only thing that makes this a scandal is the press banging on about "getting around" rules. A leading phrase introduced by the journalist and which didn't actually describe what happened.
Ah, but where your argument falls down, Prufrock, is you didn't type any words in CAPITAL letters. That always carries gravitas.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38312
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 pm

See Allardyce has signed his oppo, Sammy Lee as Sam's little helper...
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12647
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:36 am

TANGODANCER wrote:See Allardyce has signed his oppo, Sammy Lee as Sam's little helper...
Sam will always 'get a job done' and actually Tango I would love to spend an evening and a pint with him chewing things over (as long as he was paying :D ).

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8089
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:See Allardyce has signed his oppo, Sammy Lee as Sam's little helper...
Sam will always 'get a job done' and actually Tango I would love to spend an evening and a pint with him chewing things over (as long as he was paying :D ).
A pint of wine?
...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38312
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:See Allardyce has signed his oppo, Sammy Lee as Sam's little helper...
Sam will always 'get a job done' and actually Tango I would love to spend an evening and a pint with him chewing things over (as long as he was paying :D ).
Not knocking him Hobes, just passing on info.... :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19905
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Allardyces dream job...

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Good to see the FA demonstrating the finest moral rectitude yet again.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests