World Cup 2018

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:44 am

First half I thought we would walk it, second half the stupid mistakes happened.
Still the penalty hoodoo is laid to rest we could actually win this now.
Columbians are a dirty cheating set of fecker and should get an international ban.
Well done England onwards and upwards.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7019
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:18 am

I can't see us winning it but we could make the final with a bit of luck. Sweden have a days rest plus 30 minutes extra time on us. Could go either way
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25604
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:35 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:18 am
I can't see us winning it but we could make the final with a bit of luck. Sweden have a days rest plus 30 minutes extra time on us. Could go either way
A day's rest? More like a few hours. They kicked off 4 hours before we did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25604
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 am

Oh and England have done well, but apart from Panama who are clearly way off the level of most other sides, we've not particularly played well.

Southgate has a plan though and its working so far. So fair play. And the players finally are a unit and playing for each other, rather than acting like billy big bollocks. Funny how some team unity and graft can take you places.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12973
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm

Colombia will give anybody a game. We were the better side for all but 20 or so minutes of the 130 odd that were played.

Absolutely delighted
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38276
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Colombia will give anybody a game. We were the better side for all but 20 or so minutes of the 130 odd that were played.
Absolutely delighted
That's my sentiment. Well chuffed despite Insaney always running us down. We played very well and deserved our win.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25604
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Colombia will give anybody a game. We were the better side for all but 20 or so minutes of the 130 odd that were played.
Absolutely delighted
That's my sentiment. Well chuffed despite Insaney always running us down. We played very well and deserved our win.
I'm not doing us down. Its great. But we've not played great yet apart from against a poor Panama side.

We're not creating many chances and really are reliant on set pieces currently. We're trying to make the most of what we've got which is absolutely great and a huge stride forward.

All I'm saying is that we are still a limited side in many respects. That isn't a negative when you're accepting of that as we are and have worked to death on set plays, and have a striker like Kane. Can take you a long way.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38276
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Colombia will give anybody a game. We were the better side for all but 20 or so minutes of the 130 odd that were played.
Absolutely delighted
That's my sentiment. Well chuffed despite Insaney always running us down. We played very well and deserved our win.
I'm not doing us down. Its great. But we've not played great yet apart from against a poor Panama side.We're not creating many chances and really are reliant on set pieces currently. We're trying to make the most of what we've got which is absolutely great and a huge stride forward. All I'm saying is that we are still a limited side in many respects. That isn't a negative when you're accepting of that as we are and have worked to death on set plays, and have a striker like Kane. Can take you a long way.
Sorry, I just don't agree. How "great" do you think we'll ever play against other countries' in this day and age? Losing to Belgium was, I reckon, a calculated move with the team we put out, aimed at giving us the best odds of going forward whilst still showing some spirit. The Sprouts didn't leave Hazard, De Bruyne, Kompany and Fellaine on the bench for no reason.

Like I said, I watch all our games and we've played (and played well enough) against them all at top level. We're still and always will be "notes on a small island" in terms of numbers and we're not playing St Thomas's on Holy Harbour but the might of global talent and finance. You say we're not creating many chances, well if that were so (and I refute it) it's because the quality of the opposition defences is so much improved from when Switzerland were regarded as just a bunch of skiers yodelling along munching Toblerone bars and the likes of Tunisia folk lived in tents and rode around on camels . In any sport you can name we're still regarded as contenders at world level and if we don't win it's because we aren't necessarily the best anymore. What we are are England doing their level best and proud of it.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19901
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:50 pm

I agree with you broadly TD, but when it comes to how well we should be doing I'm not buying the Little Ol' England argument.

It's a football obsessed country of 50m which in the Premier League essentially has unlimited money. That we have spent decades lagging behind comparable nations like Spain, Germany, Italy etc is a national embarrassment IMO.

I hope the penny has finally dropped with the suits: St George's is a belatedly much welcomed step forward, and we have some special special talents in the kids.

Previous England youth sides have won by basically picking a team of early blooming 6 footers and running a lot. But in Sessegnon, Foden, Sancho and Brewster in particular we've got some special talents. Kane is only 24 (and already world class), Sterling 23, Alli 22 and Rashford 20. We really should be winning something over the next decade.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Should we not be thanking BSA for Pickering?
:)

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38276
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:01 am

These reports are all lies. Colombia were robbed by cheating English and a biased referee. Harry Kane fouled the defender and got a penalty.....ask Maradona... :lol:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19901
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am

I mean I know all football fans are a bit one-eyed but these lads are something else.

Properly seriously going on about their disallowed goal. If you're confused and struggling to remember that, they genuinely are referring to that bit where there were two balls on the pitch and Maguire turned to kick one off as a throw came in and everyone stopped and the ref blew his whistle and everyone stood still for 30 seconds and then Falcao tapped it into an unguarded net as a "disallowed goal". Tremendous.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38276
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:49 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:46 am
I mean I know all football fans are a bit one-eyed but these lads are something else.

Properly seriously going on about their disallowed goal. If you're confused and struggling to remember that, they genuinely are referring to that bit where there were two balls on the pitch and Maguire turned to kick one off as a throw came in and everyone stopped and the ref blew his whistle and everyone stood still for 30 seconds and then Falcao tapped it into an unguarded net as a "disallowed goal". Tremendous.
Thanks for the reminder! That was so memorable I'd forgotten all about it. I was more ranting about the ten metres they piched walking forward on most of their throw-ins. They are making themselves look utterly ridiculous. Go home and forget the world cup lads, is your best bet. That way folk may quicker forget your disgraceful antics during it. As for Maradona's gibbering, , does anyone actually care? An almost forgotten clown, remembered only for his self-confessed cheating. Pillock. :evil:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25604
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Colombia will give anybody a game. We were the better side for all but 20 or so minutes of the 130 odd that were played.
Absolutely delighted
That's my sentiment. Well chuffed despite Insaney always running us down. We played very well and deserved our win.
I'm not doing us down. Its great. But we've not played great yet apart from against a poor Panama side.We're not creating many chances and really are reliant on set pieces currently. We're trying to make the most of what we've got which is absolutely great and a huge stride forward. All I'm saying is that we are still a limited side in many respects. That isn't a negative when you're accepting of that as we are and have worked to death on set plays, and have a striker like Kane. Can take you a long way.
Sorry, I just don't agree. How "great" do you think we'll ever play against other countries' in this day and age? Losing to Belgium was, I reckon, a calculated move with the team we put out, aimed at giving us the best odds of going forward whilst still showing some spirit. The Sprouts didn't leave Hazard, De Bruyne, Kompany and Fellaine on the bench for no reason.

Like I said, I watch all our games and we've played (and played well enough) against them all at top level. We're still and always will be "notes on a small island" in terms of numbers and we're not playing St Thomas's on Holy Harbour but the might of global talent and finance. You say we're not creating many chances, well if that were so (and I refute it) it's because the quality of the opposition defences is so much improved from when Switzerland were regarded as just a bunch of skiers yodelling along munching Toblerone bars and the likes of Tunisia folk lived in tents and rode around on camels . In any sport you can name we're still regarded as contenders at world level and if we don't win it's because we aren't necessarily the best anymore. What we are are England doing their level best and proud of it.
We played Colombia and dominated the ball for the first 70 minutes. Colombia barely had an attack. We didn't force their keeper to make a single save of note (I'd suspect any at all). And our goal was a penalty. I'm not saying we played badly, or anything. But we are a limited team, making the best of what it has. That is to be celebrated and is great.

But lets not pretend that I'm suggesting we should blow Colombia away. I'm suggesting that other sides in this tournament would with the amount of ball we have had created more.

I personally think we could create more with a few minor tactical shifts. But I'm certainly far happier with this team than what we had previously. Even if on paper these lot are not the same quality players.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38276
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:00 pm

What a finale is being set up. Uraguay out to France, Belgium take out the Samba boys. So many big names bit the dust, Germany, Argentina, Spain, Portugal, and now Brazil and Uruguay. All on the home boys now to beat Swed :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: en tomorrow. They can do it. Come on lads....
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19901
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Several pints in, all I've got to say is: hahahaha feck off Neymar.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38276
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 pm
Several pints in, all I've got to say is: hahahaha feck off Neymar.
He's been nominated and is firm favourie for the Golden Agony Award. :lol:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12677
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:36 pm

What? No outpourings of joy? No complaints from Insano. Oh, I guess everyone is drunk. A bit early here for that but a brilliant game I thought, though we should have had a couple more. Pickford and Henderson were exceptional. I'm sober but happy.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.
:pray:Image

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 pm

Get in there!!!!!!
Hopefully Russia then the French on Sunday.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:40 pm

Pickford or Mac for best player so far.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests