Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:12 pm
IMO the quality of our squad is clearly dependent on KA getting investment in - its becoming clear to me that KA will not put a penny of his own money in to get some of these quality additions into the club, the likes of Wyke, Teixeira, Kone etc...who would significantly improve us.

I think that he has the best intentions of the club at heart, but I don't think that he's that bothered whether it affects our start to the season or not. Its not panic fanny time but its quite obvious to me that we have our targets but we will only proceed if someone else pays for them not KA....and BTW I've always backed KA
In his place, what would you do P.T.? He's still baling out the lifeboat slower than it's filling up right now and balancing the books in fresh air like a Cirque Soliel juggler . At this time of year with no gate money or incomings happening his lot can't be the happiest. So far, he hasn't done so badly in my estimation. Again, what would you do?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 am

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/g ... -scotland/

Scottish training gallery. Anyone spot anyone interesting?
I can't. Only seems to be about 10 people at training...
Chiori and Pritchard are midgets was all I got out of that. Make Oz look stocky too.
What could've happened; did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 am

Peter Thompson wrote:
IMO the quality of our squad is clearly dependent on KA getting investment in - its becoming clear to me that KA will not put a penny of his own money in to get some of these quality additions into the club, the likes of Wyke, Teixeira, Kone etc...who would significantly improve us.

I think that he has the best intentions of the club at heart, but I don't think that he's that bothered whether it affects our start to the season or not. Its not panic fanny time but its quite obvious to me that we have our targets but we will only proceed if someone else pays for them not KA....and BTW I've always backed KA
feck me. For once I actually agree. Ken has to proceed now, he can't wait around for investment. Sign what we can afford now, because there is less than a month to get players now.

Clear that targets are lined up, but seems to be an impasse.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 am

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:36 am
Chiori and Pritchard are midgets was all I got out of that. Make Oz look stocky too.
Both about 5'8", aren't they? They're younger than Ozzy and Spurs and Arsenal won't have had them building up fully in the gym until their early 20s, in order to allow them to develop fully in other areas. That's how it used to work at those clubs, anyway.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:40 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:53 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:02 pm
Here is the interview with Rodwell:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... blame.html

Seems himself as a ball playing CH.

There are some rumours that Sheffield Wednesday are also interested, as well as MLS teams, so it is likely that any low wages offer we make will be trumped by others.

If we were to be in a position to sign him, the comments here about him being scared to get injured is precisely what would be a massive problem imho. For whatever reason he was sat at home uninjured on £70kpw as Sunderland lurched into L1. That suggests a mental weakness. We need the opposite. We need a leader and someone who sets an example to everyone else in terms of commitment at CH. We need someone who will take bruises to win aerial duels and stretch every muscle to keep pace with quick forwards a lot of teams have in the Championship. If we signed at least two more decent CH's, and took Rodwell on some sort of low wage trial basis with a view to rehabilitating him and getting him involved, then fine, the benefits could be great, if he could work with our fitness team and build his confidence. But he doesn't appear to be someone we can rely on from the start.

Smacks to me of a 'come and get me' style interview set up by his agent. Best avoided.
It was a puff piece and his agent will have negotiated the tone as part of the agreement. Can't read a lot into it. Basically an ad.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:45 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 am
mullayo wrote:
Both about 5'8", aren't they? They're younger than Ozzy and Spurs and Arsenal won't have had them building up fully in the gym until their early 20s, in order to allow them to develop fully in other areas. That's how it used to work at those clubs, anyway.
So in other words, forget playing them in the physical championship for at least a year, if not longer.

No chance we're throwing in physically underdeveloped kids. That is just suicide.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:05 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
mullayo wrote:

Yeah but look at him (Pilchard).
He looks scaled down from human size like in the Hobbit. I'd say waste of space but he's not really...

Chiori's (middle) the same and he's supposed to be a back.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:45 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
mullayo wrote:
So in other words, forget playing them in the physical championship for at least a year, if not longer.

No chance we're throwing in physically underdeveloped kids. That is just suicide.
Not having bulked up doesn't mean they're underdeveloped. The kind of weight regime Premier League clubs employ is unusual in professional football, even in other physical leagues like Germany and it's certainly not the sort of thing available to lower league clubs in England. They're not underdeveloped, they're just not the kind of player you're used to seeing on TV on a Saturday. Plenty of players have thrived in the Championship with precisely that kind of physique. Peter Whittingham, Leighton Baines, Jason Koumas...the list goes on.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Plenty of players have thrived in the Championship with precisely that kind of physique. Peter Whittingham, Leighton Baines, Jason Koumas...the list goes on.
Exceptions that prove the rule.
Both Koumas and Whittington have 5cm on small fry Pilchard (as does ALF BTW) they also didn't play with an oompa-loompa in Oz.
Lightweight short-arses need to be ultra big on talent to make up for their physical shortcomings. Unless they're lightning fast?
At 22 or 23, having had years at Prem teams (probably hoping they'd grow) I doubt that is the case with these two.

Can't even ride the pine really. Not physical enough to help shut the game down when you're ahead and not brilliant enough to bring you back from behind. Just Physio fodder.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:49 pm

mullayo wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:22 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

Plenty of players have thrived in the Championship with precisely that kind of physique. Peter Whittingham, Leighton Baines, Jason Koumas...the list goes on.
Exceptions that prove the rule.
Both Koumas and Whittington have 5cm on small fry Pilchard (as does ALF BTW) they also didn't play with an oompa-loompa in Oz.
Lightweight short-arses need to be ultra big on talent to make up for their physical shortcomings. Unless they're lightning fast?
At 22 or 23, having had years at Prem teams (probably hoping they'd grow) I doubt that is the case with these two.

Can't even ride the pine really. Not physical enough to help shut the game down when you're ahead and not brilliant enough to bring you back from behind. Just Physio fodder.
I find this sort of view a bit bizarre, to be honest. Their physiques won't carry them through a lack of ability, but they're either good players or they are not. If they're not, no they won't make it. If they have ability then being around the same height as Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Ryan Sessegnon, Ricardo Gardner and Stelios Giannakopoulos isn't a particular handicap. This weird English obsession with how tall ball-playing midfielders and fullbacks are is a real handicap for the game in this country. It makes sense in some positions, but in others it's really not an issue.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:24 pm

In terms of getting some bigger lads in, Josh Magennis is apparently on the radar. That man is a brick.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:30 pm

mullayo wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:42 pm

If he hadn't been 'earning' 74K per week he might be hungry but he looked pretty ensconced on his pristine ice-white couch.
:roll:
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:24 pm
In terms of getting some bigger lads in, Josh Magennis is apparently on the radar. That man is a brick.
Not very good though....hey ho.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I'm not a big fan, no. It sounds like we tried to get him in in January when we were desperate and then it's come up in a press conference this summer. Maybe that means it's old news and we're no longer in for him, dunno.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:51 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:45 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:38 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I'm not a big fan, no. It sounds like we tried to get him in in January when we were desperate and then it's come up in a press conference this summer. Maybe that means it's old news and we're no longer in for him, dunno.
If I was to read the situation we're in now (in other words blindly guess), I would say that all the rumours of ambitious transfer targets have been true.

But Ken isn't fronting up for those players on his own. Hence we're in stalemate till investors come in or KA gives in and decides to sign whatever gubbins players will play for a packet of crisps and a yoyo.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:13 pm

Ken won't put a penny in of his own money, that's been fairly clear from the outset. I doubt he has enough to make a difference anyway, seems all sizzle and no sausage. There's as much money as the club can generate and that's it unless more comes in. Better than overspending and risking bankruptcy, but means we'll miss a lot of players. It's why I was surprised to get Lowe and Ozzy, I thought they'd get a bit more elsewhere. I think coming back to the north west swung it for Lowe and Ozzy wants to gain stature (joke intended). We need things in our favour to get deals done.

Peter Thompson
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Peter Thompson » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:50 pm
Peter Thompson wrote:

In his place, what would you do P.T.? He's still baling out the lifeboat slower than it's filling up right now and balancing the books in fresh air like a Cirque Soliel juggler . At this time of year with no gate money or incomings happening his lot can't be the happiest. So far, he hasn't done so badly in my estimation. Again, what would you do?
I'd try and get an owner who had the best interests of BWFC at heart, not his own personal gain - we've now embarrassingly had to cancel a friendly match at St Mirren because yet again the players haven't been paid, KA & his son talk the talk...but that's all it is talk....they are in this for profit not because they like or love BWFC they don't care what damage it does to the reputation of 'our' club.

I've always liked & supported KA but this is unacceptable IMO - the sooner they are out of the club the better....hot air, hot air & more hot air & empty promises from KA, he's in for money nothing else !

Is this really going to attract new quality players to the club, what about fans who have travelled to Scotland - this is disgraceful from KA he's just full of shit like his son....a month away from the start of the season as well.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Peter Thompson wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:34 pm

I've always liked & supported KA but this is unacceptable IMO - the sooner they are out of the club the better....hot air, hot air & more hot air & empty promises from KA, he's in for money nothing else !

Is this really going to attract new quality players to the club, what about fans who have travelled to Scotland - this is disgraceful from KA he's just full of shit like his son....a month away from the start of the season as well.

PLAYERS STRIKE for unpaid wages. Pre-season St Mirren game cancelled.

This is bad. A real setback. Sh^t has hit the fan.
Once this gets out what player will want to come here?
How can we pay a fee when we can't pay the few?
No wonder we have a skeleton squad with more trainers than players in Scotland!
Also explains why all the signings have come to nought and why the mystery trainers evaporated... they probably wanted wages...
Best get a new owner in. Pronto... Only real way to reverse this.
Last edited by mullayo on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:57 am

Emperor Ken has no clothes!
With pre-season cancelled, our reputation in tatters and no owner in sight we can forget the Joao Tex's of the world and any players you'd pay a fee for.

Could these 25 be the full Bolton squad of 2018?
Millwall only used 20 last year... Cancel our under-23 team and promote them all?

--------------Alnwick---------------
Little, Wheater, Beevers, Taylor,
---------Vela---------Lowe ---------
SAmeobi--- Oztumer---Will Buckley
---------- Adam Le Fondre-----------

BENCH
TS: Clayton Donaldson
ST: Conor Hall,
AM: Joe Pritchard
DM: Jack Earring
W: Noone, Duke McKenna, Dennis Politic (left),
FB: Darby, Chiori Johnson, Joe Muscatt (left)
CB:Liam Edwards, Harry Brockbank
GK: Turner, Amos

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/33918

Ipswich may be in for Amos if they sell Bialkowski for $3 GBP. Take him but make sure you pay him or you could have a revolt on your hands. That'd be a mill(stone around our necks) off the books. And part of the problem gone...

So pray the big bean-Pole goes to Birmingham, so we can ship our resident dissident straight off to Ipswich.