Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm
Considering the amount of times in the past we were "undone" by the likes of Ireland, Danny Murphy, Stephen Reid and even our onetime own Claus Jensen, it would be nice to think we had a couple (one even) of gamechangers and midfield generals in the side.
Do you mean Andy Reid? Midget midfield maestro.
Strangely I've seen two football games in the UK Ireland vs Bulgaria in 2004 (1-1) and Bolton vs Nottingham Forest in 2012 (2-2). He played and scored in both matches... so I think he's bloody brilliant. Best on field in the Ireland match to be sure, to be sure...
What could've happened; did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:59 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 pm
Considering the amount of times in the past we were "undone" by the likes of Ireland, Danny Murphy, Stephen Reid and even our onetime own Claus Jensen, it would be nice to think we had a couple (one even) of gamechangers and midfield generals in the side.
Do you mean Andy Reid? Midget midfield maestro.
Strangely I've seen two football games in the UK Ireland vs Bulgaria in 2004 (1-1) and Bolton vs Nottingham Forest in 2012 (2-2). He played and scored in both matches... so I think he's bloody brilliant. Best on field in the Ireland match to be sure, to be sure...
Aye, him too.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Oztumer not playing and no mention of Ireland. Team is: Wanderers (4-3-3): Alnwick; Olkowski, Beevers, Wheater, Taylor; O’Neil, Vela, Lowe; Noone, Donaldson, Wildschut.

Subs: Walker, Darby, Little, Hobbs, Buckley, Le Fondre, Ameobi, Edwards, Pritchard, Wood, Politic, Hall

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:32 pm

Interesting line up today 4-3-3. Very defensive middle 3. Maybe O'Neil has a chance. Reinforces my concern about the DM position.
Also of note is 20 year-old DM Marcus Wood on the bench. Former Citeh player. Any chance?

Wanderers (4-3-3): Alnwick; Olkowski, Beevers, Wheater, Taylor; O’Neil, Vela, Lowe; Noone, Donaldson, Wildschut.

Subs: Walker, Darby, Little, Hobbs, Buckley, Le Fondre, Ameobi, Edwards, Pritchard, Wood, Politic, Hall

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Live commentary can be followed via Bolton News...http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16 ... -v-girona/

I hope we will be playing a different game agaist the Spaniards. They'll probably play the possesion and fast break game an if we play wallop bal they'll tear us to ribbons.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:26 pm

Donaldson won a penalty....and had it saved... :cry:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 pm

Apparently we had a good first half although they seemed to get a fair few corners. Pity about the missed pen, but 0-0 at the break.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:03 pm

Might now be an opportune moment to point out that you've both posted about this friendly in the wrong bloody thread?

:wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:12 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:03 pm
Might now be an opportune moment to point out that you've both posted about this friendly in the wrong bloody thread?

:oops: :lol:

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:43 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:03 pm

There's only one thread son!
Good call. I did mention potential signing though in Marcus Woods.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 pm

So the game finished 0-0?
Now we wait for signing announcements?

palindromeofbolton
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by palindromeofbolton » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 pm

According to Iles, Ireland trained with the team yesterday but didn't play today, because calf injury. :|

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:14 pm

Okay game. They went 3-5-2 and their wing backs pushed right up, so our wide forwards ended up pinned in their own half most of the time. Parky being Parky, it took over an hour for him to change anything to try and get us up the pitch; but despite that we did okay.

Olkowski looked a class above every other defender on the pitch - solid tackling, positioned well, good touch and always looked for a forward pass. Wildschut did okay and tracked back a lot. O'Neil worked hard. When Ameobi came on he looked like a grown up playing against kids. Pritchard came on and his touch and movement were better than the three first teamers we started with.

Honourable mention goes to Alf, who had the ball lumped at him when he was against a lad who looked about 6'3" and still made a fist of it. Came close to scoring two or three times.

Negatives, Wheater and Beevers got the run around in the box from a lad who I think was technically a dwarf. Lost him several times and he managed to win headers.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:14 pm
Olkowski looked a class above every other defender on the pitch - solid tackling, positioned well, good touch and always looked for a forward pass.
Sounds like Steinnson when he first arrived. Like Steinnson, I'm sure we'll soon coach that out of him.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:54 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Olkowski looked a class above every other defender on the pitch - solid tackling, positioned well, good touch and always looked for a forward pass.
Sounds like Steinnson when he first arrived. Like Steinnson, I'm sure we'll soon coach that out of him.
"He's a lovely player. Quick, two footed, has loads of creativity.."
"How far can he kick the ball?"
"What?"
"We just want players who can kick it really far."

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Okay game. They went 3-5-2 and their wing backs pushed right up, so our wide forwards ended up pinned in their own half most of the time. A) Parky being Parky, it took over an hour for him to change anything to try and get us up the pitch; but despite that we did okay.

B) Olkowski looked a class above every other defender on the pitch - solid tackling, positioned well, good touch and always looked for a forward pass. C) Wildschut did okay and tracked back a lot. E) O'Neil worked hard. D) When Ameobi came on he looked like a grown up playing against kids. F) Pritchard came on and his touch and movement were better than the three first teamers we started with.

Honourable mention goes to G) Alf, who had the ball lumped at him when he was against a lad who looked about 6'3" and still made a fist of it. Came close to scoring two or three times.

Negatives, H) Wheater and Beevers got the run around in the box from a lad who I think was technically a dwarf. Lost him several times and he managed to win headers.
A) Got lots of tactical options now - no good at using them? Needs an offensive co-ordinator
B) Great news - switch to centreback someone suggested?
C) Good to hear his defensive side
D) I thought Wildscht would be on a level with SAmeobi
E) Effective enought to earn a contract? Be a starter over Lowe? Is he a DM or CM or AM in style?
F) So you see him in the Oz or Ireland role?
G) I think Alf just needs minutes his goalscoring rate has always been pretty high.
H) How about Hobbs? Is quick CB still a position of need?
I) What positions do we need most now? LB, CB, DM?

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm

What happened to "All eyes" on LeeAn?
Announcement Monday?
Hobbs, Walker, O'Neil, Ireland... all up in the air.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Okay game. They went 3-5-2 and their wing backs pushed right up, so our wide forwards ended up pinned in their own half most of the time. A) Parky being Parky, it took over an hour for him to change anything to try and get us up the pitch; but despite that we did okay.

B) Olkowski looked a class above every other defender on the pitch - solid tackling, positioned well, good touch and always looked for a forward pass. C) Wildschut did okay and tracked back a lot. E) O'Neil worked hard. D) When Ameobi came on he looked like a grown up playing against kids. F) Pritchard came on and his touch and movement were better than the three first teamers we started with.

Honourable mention goes to G) Alf, who had the ball lumped at him when he was against a lad who looked about 6'3" and still made a fist of it. Came close to scoring two or three times.

Negatives, H) Wheater and Beevers got the run around in the box from a lad who I think was technically a dwarf. Lost him several times and he managed to win headers.
A) Got lots of tactical options now - no good at using them? Needs an offensive co-ordinator
B) Great news - switch to centreback someone suggested?
C) Good to hear his defensive side
D) I thought Wildscht would be on a level with SAmeobi
E) Effective enought to earn a contract? Be a starter over Lowe? Is he a DM or CM or AM in style?
F) So you see him in the Oz or Ireland role?
G) I think Alf just needs minutes his goalscoring rate has always been pretty high.
H) How about Hobbs? Is quick CB still a position of need?
I) What positions do we need most now? LB, CB, DM?
A) Parky doesn't react well when the game goes against him tactically. He's a man manager, not a tactician. It's a major failing against better sides.
B) I've never understood why people want to move good players into other positions. He did really well at right back. Play him there.
D) He's a totally different player. Wildschut is about pace, Sammy is about power.
E) No idea. I've said before that I thought he was only ever about work rate and running. He doesn't have that in his locker anymore, so I'm not keen. Parky may want experience.
H) I think we are crying out for more pace at the back.
I) We NEED a LB, CB, ST all urgently and those three as a minimum. I've said already I'd like a passing mid, but I think "the three" is Lowe, Vela and Ozzy.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm

mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm
What happened to "All eyes" on LeeAn? Announcement Monday? Hobbs, Walker, O'Neil, Ireland... all up in the air.
Come on Mullayo, you have to allow for the management bullshxt factor. It's part of our history and heritage. Even Bill Ridding once told Alan Ball he was too small to be a footballer for Bolton and asked him if he'd thought about being a jockey, and that's a lifetime ago. It was still bullshxt. We (the fans) need bullshxt like the players need ping-pong tables.I fully expect more before we commence the season, it's our lifeblood. Look at our list of managers since the constant gardner left (and including him, of course), could you get more bullshxt ever? Be patient, I'm betting there's more to come :wink:

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:40 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm
mullayo wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm
What happened to "All eyes" on LeeAn? Announcement Monday? Hobbs, Walker, O'Neil, Ireland... all up in the air.
Come on Mullayo, you have to allow for the management bullshxt factor. It's part of our history and heritage. Even Bill Ridding once told Alan Ball he was too small to be a footballer for Bolton and asked him if he'd thought about being a jockey, and that's a lifetime ago. It was still bullshxt. We (the fans) need bullshxt like the players need ping-pong tables.I fully expect more before we commence the season, it's our lifeblood. Look at our list of managers since the constant gardner left (and including him, of course), could you get more bullshxt ever? Be patient, I'm betting there's more to come :wink:
I'l try Tango but patience not one of my many virtues.
I know I'll update the depth chart

3GK: Alnwick, Walker, Turner
3CB: Wheater, Beevers, Hobbs,
3RB: Olki, Little, Darby,
1LB: Taylor,
3DM: Lowe, Vela, O'Neil
3AM: Oztumer, Ireland, Pritchard
2RW: SAmeobi, Noone
2LW: Wildscut, Buckley,
3ST: Donaldson, ALF, Conor Hall,

Glaring hole at left back.
HOWEVER, I'm going to court controversy once again and say I'm okay with no new striker and would rather spend the money on energetic centreback or centre mid because I think those are bigger weaknesses and addressing them will make the most difference to our goal differential. I'm happy Donaldson and ALF can do the job. For me DM, CB, LB, TS in that order.