Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Reconstruction time again: the summer 2018 transfer thread

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:46 am

Milligan sounds promising. Seems his heart is set on playing in England, and we're the only suitable suitor - he's turned down Hibs already. Eligible because of World Cup upping their ranking. Just bickering over wages.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/australi ... k-milligan

Get him signed up and won't need O'Neil no more.
What could've happened; did.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am

I really hope we get Milligan. We really need somebody decent in defensive midfield. I don't think Vela will play there at all, I think he will be play in the same role he has played in the last two seasons and compete with Oztumer for the role in behind the striker. That only leaves us with Lowe and I am not yet convinced about him.

I am not sure about O'Neil either, but we really need some numbers in the centre of midfield and if he is cheap, he still seems decent enough to at least play some games. Hopefully we can get someone better but I would be happy to see him sign as a squad player.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:55 am

Bam! And here's our young centreback Watford's Tommie Hoban - according to Nixon in The Sun.

24-years-old, 6ft 2in coming off a torn ACL.
Injury prone - although he claims he's unlucky as all his injuries have been different - has only played 74 games in 7 years at Watford or Blackburn - six of which were played at left back. Having a variety of injuries makes you more injury prone in my book.

*Someone supposedly sniffing around Beevers too.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:02 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:51 am
I really hope we get Milligan. We really need somebody decent in defensive midfield. I don't think Vela will play there at all, I think he will be play in the same role he has played in the last two seasons and compete with Oztumer for the role in behind the striker. That only leaves us with Lowe and I am not yet convinced about him.

I am not sure about O'Neil either, but we really need some numbers in the centre of midfield and if he is cheap, he still seems decent enough to at least play some games. Hopefully we can get someone better but I would be happy to see him sign as a squad player.
Me too. Milligan might be an upgrade over Lowe who seems like an avid yellow card collector.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 am

https://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/ ... erland-efl

Wigan Wyke Charlie horse too!
$750K mentioned/guesstimated price.
Meanwhile Bradford looking at Billy Sharp, as a replacement?
Last edited by mullayo on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am

Hoban is a talented mess, as I understand it. A loan with favourable terms might suit all parties. He can cover left back if needed.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:48 am
Hoban is a talented mess, as I understand it. A loan with favourable terms might suit all parties. He can cover left back if needed.
What kind of mess? Injury mess or mental mess? A dodgy sporadic defender?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am

mullayo wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Injuries. A bit like Joey O'Brien. Everyone knows he's a good player, just can't get on the pitch for a season.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am
mullayo wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Injuries. A bit like Joey O'Brien. Everyone knows he's a good player, just can't get on the pitch for a season.
Fit the profile of more mobile ball playing?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:11 am

mullayo wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:37 am
mullayo wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fit the profile of more mobile ball playing?
Not sure even Hoban knows what kind of player he is, given how little he plays.

When he came through as a kid he was a great prospect. Good off both feet, defended well and had a bit of pace to him. Three bad injuries, though, that I remember. Did his ankle, then his shoulder and now his ACL. Could be more, by the sounds of it - I've not heard anything of him since he went on loan to Blackburn under Owen. That was meant to be his big come back season, but he dislocated his shoulder half way through the season. I know Owen saw him as a top prospect, but his opinion doesn't carry much weight amongst Bolton fans these days. For me, though, Owen knows a good player from a bad one - he's just not a great manager.

Thing is, Hoban's not wrong that they've all been unlucky injuries. His ankle was done by a nasty challenge. His shoulder dislocated. Then his ACL went when he took a hit to his standing leg, I think. They're all impact injuries, rather than his body just giving up under strain. His general fitness will depend on the quality of the work done by his surgeons and how bad the initial injuries were. Also whether they can be managed. Ledley King had no cartilage in his knees by the time he retired and he hardly ever trained. He did fitness work and then played matches. After each game he needed days off to prevent his knees swelling. I don't think Hoban is at that stage, so he might be okay. All guesswork, though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am

I will say that if we signed Hobbs and Hoban I'd be seriously concerned about an injury crisis at the back.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am

So Lee didn't end up announcing anything last night then, quelle surprise.

Colour me worried at the lack of progress right now. Very much expecting a last minute rush at the end of the window resulting in a load of rubbish players bulking out the squad.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:33 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am
So Lee didn't end up announcing anything last night then, quelle surprise.

Colour me worried at the lack of progress right now. Very much expecting a last minute rush at the end of the window resulting in a load of rubbish players bulking out the squad.
We've actually made 8 signings. I know three of them are "youth", but I actually think Joe Pritchard might be in contention to be one of the 6 first team midfield options - so call that 6. Even if we just count the 5, we're doing about as well as most other teams. I'm also worried about the numbers and it's a really serious problem; but the market is moving pretty slowly right now, even for people who have some cash.

I'm pleased with the business we've done, we just need to do more. Started off needing a 12-14 in. 6 (to my mind) down and reportedly PP wants 6 more.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:12 am
I will say that if we signed Hobbs and Hoban I'd be seriously concerned about an injury crisis at the back.
Would we sign both? I'd prefer Hoban because he's younger and quicker can cover left back a bit.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:48 am

3GK: Alnwick, Walker, Turner
3CB: Wheater, Beevers, Hoban,
3RB: Olki, Little, Darby,
1LB: Taylor,
3DM: Lowe, Vela, Milligan
3AM: Oztumer, Ireland, Pritchard
2RW: SAmeobi, Noone
2LW: Wildscut, Buckley,
3ST: Donaldson, ALF, Conor Hall,

Take out Hobbs for Hoban and O'Neill for Milligan and I'm a lot happier. Get a left back like Antonee/Daquon/Curico and then we only need a striker.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Still uninspiring, to my eye. I have no idea what's going on with Hobbs and Hoban, so dunno if we'd want both.

A striker will define everything. That team still seriously lacks goals. Ozzy could help out a lot, but we need more goals from the wide players and Vela than they've ever offered before. Those three players all need to step up in the final third for us to have a good season.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:12 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 pm
Still uninspiring, to my eye. I have no idea what's going on with Hobbs and Hoban, so dunno if we'd want both.

A striker will define everything. That team still seriously lacks goals. Ozzy could help out a lot, but we need more goals from the wide players and Vela than they've ever offered before. Those three players all need to step up in the final third for us to have a good season.
Walker = Howard
Hoban/Hobbs > Dervite
Olki > Little
Taylor < Antonee
Lowe = Pratley/Henry
Milligan > Derik
Wildschut > Buckley
OZ > Morais
Ireland > Karacan
Donaldson > Wilbrahaim

I think we're winning.
Only aiming for 21st or better.
I see an extra 10 goals and maybe 5 saved. Enough to move the needle.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 pm

Quit a few things worrying me about our chances of that, Ghost (and don't forget I'm an eternal optimist :wink: ) Still a lot of financial spookies (pardon) hovering around at Macron ground control headquarters. Ken is first and foremost a businessman/profit chaser and unlikely to go beyond the bargain basement/bogoff section of the Footballers-R-us market.In fairness, he can't do much about things without putting the club back at risk with the Revenue bully boys. Sport itself is less owned by the public than it's ever been (Witness our very own British Open Championship being played as I write, owned by the money grasping Skyway men, with the best the good old B.B.C can do is show replays when it's all over) and every footballer's agent thinks his man's a combination of Messi, De Bruyn and Ronaldo. We're very small potatoes right now and we'll have to be glad of table scraps from anywhere. I hope it changes and I'm totally wrong, but I think we'll have to battle for every point to stay in the mid-section this season. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 pm

Nixon saying we might be taking a young Prem striker on loan although 'surely not a starter'. Fingers crossed this is someone of a decent calibre.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:10 pm
Nixon saying we might be taking a young Prem striker on loan although 'surely not a starter'. Fingers crossed this is someone of a decent calibre.
If they're "surely not a starter" in the Championship then you'd imagine they're not any good. That could mean the Alf story has legs.