Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12592
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:13 pm
I see some real tough guy Farnworth knxb heads have savaged and twisted up a sculpture to the dead of the First World War. Bet they felt real pleased with themselves. Will they be caught? Highly unlikely, and if they are, what will they get as punishment? Probably get blamed on their poor and underprivelliged upbringing. They need a lesson they'll remember not a joke punishment delivering leaflets.... always supposing they ever do get caught. Morons.....

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... -memorial/
Probably from the branch of youth that would paint over murals in Southampton Uni because it didn't suit their ideals, you know, the real fascists and Nazi's.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Just discovered that the Christmas advert by Iceland has been banned!
Why? Because it is too political. It depicts the suffering of orang-utans through the destruction of the rainforests because of palm oil plantations. Absolutely outfxckinrageous!

By the way, the advert can still be seen on Youtube, just put in Iceland Christmas advert 2018.
Clearcast (who approves or rejects adverts for broadcast) can fxck right off...
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25480
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Just discovered that the Christmas advert by Iceland has been banned!
Why? Because it is too political. It depicts the suffering of orang-utans through the destruction of the rainforests because of palm oil plantations. Absolutely outfxckinrageous!

By the way, the advert can still be seen on Youtube, just put in Iceland Christmas advert 2018.
Clearcast (who approves or rejects adverts for broadcast) can fxck right off...
How is pointing out a factual world problem "too political"?

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:56 pm
Just discovered that the Christmas advert by Iceland has been banned!
Why? Because it is too political. It depicts the suffering of orang-utans through the destruction of the rainforests because of palm oil plantations. Absolutely outfxckinrageous!

By the way, the advert can still be seen on Youtube, just put in Iceland Christmas advert 2018.
Clearcast (who approves or rejects adverts for broadcast) can fxck right off...
How is pointing out a factual world problem "too political"?
Well, precisely.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19814
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Because it was made by a body whose aims are mainly or wholly political (Greenpeace).

I think it's fine, broadly. It's an odd result here, but the broadcast rules broadly do their job and are why we don't have Fox News et al. They're draconian in isolation, but the best way to protect viewers.

Where there is the odd esoteric case like this, suddenly it's viral on the internet and more people have seen it and care about it than if it had just been on TV. Overall result seems fine to me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25480
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Because it was made by a body whose aims are mainly or wholly political (Greenpeace).

I think it's fine, broadly. It's an odd result here, but the broadcast rules broadly do their job and are why we don't have Fox News et al. They're draconian in isolation, but the best way to protect viewers.

Where there is the odd esoteric case like this, suddenly it's viral on the internet and more people have seen it and care about it than if it had just been on TV. Overall result seems fine to me.
I would dispute that claim. Personally. Unless you use the modern very distorted definition of "politics".

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Because it was made by a body whose aims are mainly or wholly political (Greenpeace).

I think it's fine, broadly. It's an odd result here, but the broadcast rules broadly do their job and are why we don't have Fox News et al. They're draconian in isolation, but the best way to protect viewers.

Where there is the odd esoteric case like this, suddenly it's viral on the internet and more people have seen it and care about it than if it had just been on TV. Overall result seems fine to me.
Greenpeace's aims are not mainly or wholly Political. Not unless you have the same mindset of the Wankers who sank their ship - which you have in spades.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19814
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm

I must say it seems blindingly obvious to me that Greenpeace are a political organisation.

Not party political, or parliamentary political, bit definitely political.

I also think their work and aims are clearly good and worthy, but the point of these rules is that there is no judgement about the worth of this kind of thing. There's no place for political advertising on broadcast media. There certainly is in the press, save online, where the advert is doing very well and good for it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25480
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm
I must say it seems blindingly obvious to me that Greenpeace are a political organisation.

Not party political, or parliamentary political, bit definitely political.

I also think their work and aims are clearly good and worthy, but the point of these rules is that there is no judgement about the worth of this kind of thing. There's no place for political advertising on broadcast media. There certainly is in the press, save online, where the advert is doing very well and good for it.
Why do you think it’s political? I’d say the are campaigners and lobbyists for an environmental cause. But the cancer charities are the same for funding cancer research, treatments and nurses etc....but they are allowed ads.....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19814
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 am

Think of it in terms of policy. Greenpeace try to effect policy. They hope to pressure governments into taking action on environmental issues. They might also want to pressure the public/private bodies to take action but hence "wholly or mainly" (and even that is arguably political in that it relates to civic life).

Cancer research, say, on the other hand, are trying to raise money for cancer research. There's no policy in that. I wouldn't be surprised if they do bits here and there that are political but certainly their whole or main aims are simply fundraising. On the other hand, an NHS pressure group, whilst in the same broader sphere (and probably about as popular with the general public) would be political and so not allowed in broadcast media.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 am
Think of it in terms of policy. Greenpeace try to effect policy. They hope to pressure governments into taking action on environmental issues. They might also want to pressure the public/private bodies to take action but hence "wholly or mainly" (and even that is arguably political in that it relates to civic life).

Cancer research, say, on the other hand, are trying to raise money for cancer research. There's no policy in that. I wouldn't be surprised if they do bits here and there that are political but certainly their whole or main aims are simply fundraising. On the other hand, an NHS pressure group, whilst in the same broader sphere (and probably about as popular with the general public) would be political and so not allowed in broadcast media.
Cancer Research is one small part of Cancer Charities. Most Cancer Charities have been opposed to Big Tobacco since the 1950s. Without Cancer Charities advertising during the long decades since I was born, cigarette ads would still be on TV, cig packets would still show jolly naval heroes rather than pictures of blackened lungs. And yes, anti-smoking adverts have been broadcast by cancer charities...
In fact your entire argument is wrong, all advertising is directed towards changing people's habits. Peoples' habits directly influence government policies, therefore All adverts are aimed at changing Policy. Therefore All Adverts are Political. All Adverts Should Be Banned, by your logic.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25480
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:33 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 am
Think of it in terms of policy. Greenpeace try to effect policy. They hope to pressure governments into taking action on environmental issues. They might also want to pressure the public/private bodies to take action but hence "wholly or mainly" (and even that is arguably political in that it relates to civic life).

Cancer research, say, on the other hand, are trying to raise money for cancer research. There's no policy in that. I wouldn't be surprised if they do bits here and there that are political but certainly their whole or main aims are simply fundraising. On the other hand, an NHS pressure group, whilst in the same broader sphere (and probably about as popular with the general public) would be political and so not allowed in broadcast media.
Cancer Research is one small part of Cancer Charities. Most Cancer Charities have been opposed to Big Tobacco since the 1950s. Without Cancer Charities advertising during the long decades since I was born, cigarette ads would still be on TV, cig packets would still show jolly naval heroes rather than pictures of blackened lungs. And yes, anti-smoking adverts have been broadcast by cancer charities...
In fact your entire argument is wrong, all advertising is directed towards changing people's habits. Peoples' habits directly influence government policies, therefore All adverts are aimed at changing Policy. Therefore All Adverts are Political. All Adverts Should Be Banned, by your logic.
Yep - agree with this. To me political ads mean ones that directly speak to party politics. If an ad isn't allowed to tackle an issue then I think you can ban an awful lot of them on the grounds of being "political".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19814
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:33 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:51 am
Think of it in terms of policy. Greenpeace try to effect policy. They hope to pressure governments into taking action on environmental issues. They might also want to pressure the public/private bodies to take action but hence "wholly or mainly" (and even that is arguably political in that it relates to civic life).

Cancer research, say, on the other hand, are trying to raise money for cancer research. There's no policy in that. I wouldn't be surprised if they do bits here and there that are political but certainly their whole or main aims are simply fundraising. On the other hand, an NHS pressure group, whilst in the same broader sphere (and probably about as popular with the general public) would be political and so not allowed in broadcast media.
Cancer Research is one small part of Cancer Charities. Most Cancer Charities have been opposed to Big Tobacco since the 1950s. Without Cancer Charities advertising during the long decades since I was born, cigarette ads would still be on TV, cig packets would still show jolly naval heroes rather than pictures of blackened lungs. And yes, anti-smoking adverts have been broadcast by cancer charities...
In fact your entire argument is wrong, all advertising is directed towards changing people's habits. Peoples' habits directly influence government policies, therefore All adverts are aimed at changing Policy. Therefore All Adverts are Political. All Adverts Should Be Banned, by your logic.
I think the polite word for that is a "stretch" :D !

The aims/motives relate to the oranisation not the advert. So an advert by an organisation that aimed to ban smoking wouldn't be allowed.

I can see there are arguments for allowing an ad like this, but I think they are outweighed by the broader aim of preventing political organisations (even if I agree with them as I do here) from advertising on broadcast media. Particularly it our world of "fake news" where the line between news and commentary is blurred. Broadcast media is kept as "neutral zone".

So while I can see arguments that an ad like this *should* be allowed, i.e. the rules should be changed, I disagree. But my initial point was that under the rules as they are this was the correct decision.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:04 pm

The aims/motives relate to an organisation?
Really. The advert is by and on behalf of Iceland. A food retailer.
On your argument, as an individual I could pay for an advert relating to any subject I like, including one on how shit Polish coal burns in my wood burner.
Bollox.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38100
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm

Apropos of not much and outside it all, poor old David the chimp gets beaten to death by two of his own kind. All life is a jungle, not just the bits with greenery.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3520
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by malcd1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:45 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:13 pm
I see some real tough guy Farnworth knxb heads have savaged and twisted up a sculpture to the dead of the First World War. Bet they felt real pleased with themselves. Will they be caught? Highly unlikely, and if they are, what will they get as punishment? Probably get blamed on their poor and underprivelliged upbringing. They need a lesson they'll remember not a joke punishment delivering leaflets.... always supposing they ever do get caught. Morons.....

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... -memorial/
Probably from the branch of youth that would paint over murals in Southampton Uni because it didn't suit their ideals, you know, the real fascists and Nazi's.

Well Emily Dawes (described by herself as a feminist activist) has finally 'fallen on her sword' (before she was pushed) after an online petition was signed by more than 21,000 people. I don't like all this pitchfork waving witch hunts that happens online but I will make an exception for this horrible, ignorant cow. Am I allowed to say that or am I being a woman hating misogynist?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h ... e-46274283
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19814
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 pm

I mean but that's exactly f*cking it though, isn't it? Everyone is against pitchfork mobs until it's a pitchfork mob they agree with.

She's a bit of a nice person, clearly hadn't thought it through, has apologised. Isn't the world we want where that's enough?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12592
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by Hoboh » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 pm
I mean but that's exactly f*cking it though, isn't it? Everyone is against pitchfork mobs until it's a pitchfork mob they agree with.

She's a bit of a nice person, clearly hadn't thought it through, has apologised. Isn't the world we want where that's enough?
Mmm like most of the crap people of a certain age connected with Uni's don't think through maybe?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12963
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm
I must say it seems blindingly obvious to me that Greenpeace are a political organisation.

Not party political, or parliamentary political, bit definitely political.

I also think their work and aims are clearly good and worthy, but the point of these rules is that there is no judgement about the worth of this kind of thing. There's no place for political advertising on broadcast media. There certainly is in the press, save online, where the advert is doing very well and good for it.
Why do you think it’s political? I’d say the are campaigners and lobbyists for an environmental cause. But the cancer charities are the same for funding cancer research, treatments and nurses etc....but they are allowed ads.....
Cancer charities don't turn up at Military port bases and throw shit at soldiers for a start ;-)
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25480
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Man's Inhumanity to Inhumans...

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:42 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 am
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 pm
I must say it seems blindingly obvious to me that Greenpeace are a political organisation.

Not party political, or parliamentary political, bit definitely political.

I also think their work and aims are clearly good and worthy, but the point of these rules is that there is no judgement about the worth of this kind of thing. There's no place for political advertising on broadcast media. There certainly is in the press, save online, where the advert is doing very well and good for it.
Why do you think it’s political? I’d say the are campaigners and lobbyists for an environmental cause. But the cancer charities are the same for funding cancer research, treatments and nurses etc....but they are allowed ads.....
Cancer charities don't turn up at Military port bases and throw shit at soldiers for a start ;-)
That doesn't make them political. Greenpeace probably don't buy ridiculously expensive equipment with donation money and use it to contract out private research.........does that make some cancer charities "political"?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests