Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19901
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am

They tried that Mondeman thing for a few years somewhere over here. Accidents dropped significantly... for a bit. Then rocketed and they had to abandon it.

Which seems to suggest (and makes sense to me) it's being comfortable that makes people generous. Mandatory variable (and random) speed limits, heftily enforced the only answer!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4025
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am
They tried that Mondeman thing for a few years somewhere over here. Accidents dropped significantly... for a bit. Then rocketed and they had to abandon it.
Where did you get that from?

There are currently more than 50 towns in the UK with schemes in place. The one I know personally has been a great success from day one.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am

Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
Last edited by Lost Leopard Spot on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:59 pm

By the way. An apology on the stats. We set up three stations where the speed cameras were to cover the maximum amount of traffic with limited resource.
It has been pointed out to me that many of the recorded traffic will have been counted twice if they either came in on the Via Gellia and exited on the A6 southwards, or came in on the A6 from the north and exited via the Hill or Via Gellia. We can't seperate those numbers out as each road was totalled without cross reference to the other roads.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38282
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
If you can get fish and chips for £1 Spots, I may well pop down in the summer..
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:26 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
If you can get fish and chips for £1 Spots, I may well pop down in the summer..
It's an average Tango. You can get large cod and chips for £6.50 but you have to share it with five others. Fresh mind, driven in each morning. Costas is particularly recommended (by me).
PS there are 15 Fish & Chip shops in Matlock Bath. It's 50 miles away from the nearest coast. You cannot get any further from the sea in England. It nevertheless, paradoxically, probably holds the record anywhere on Earth for the most fish and chip shops per head of population ..
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
Been there many times mate and yes bikers had to pay look it up there was actually some protest about it.
A pound for fish and chips? Feck me I might come back cafes and the ice cream outlets were a lot more than just a few chippy and they were always full when we went.
Tbh I prefer Bakewell except for that bloody roundabout.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38282
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:09 pm

Don't know Derbyshire outside of "Pride and Prejudice", and I don't know what it's like today as I haven't been there for a while, but the Cod and chips at the top of Main Street Haworth were well worth the uphill walk back a ways, and that's 55 miles from Lake Windermere, never mind the sea. :D
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38282
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Thought I'd stick this here to avoid venturing into other topics elsewhere. From today's Bolton News.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17 ... ual-crime/
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:04 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
Been there many times mate and yes bikers had to pay look it up there was actually some protest about it.
A pound for fish and chips? Feck me I might come back cafes and the ice cream outlets were a lot more than just a few chippy and they were always full when we went.
Tbh I prefer Bakewell except for that bloody roundabout.
There was a protest about something that never happened. The Labour led District Council proposed parking fees. Before they could instigate said fees (during which a protest was held), the incoming new Tory led District Council scrapped the plans. Then instead of raising revenue, they cut back on expenditure, and closed all the public toilets instead.

I live here, I don't need to look it up... Bikers never had to pay, and still don't. There's nowhere to piss though, so you need a big bladder.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12634
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:04 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
Been there many times mate and yes bikers had to pay look it up there was actually some protest about it.
A pound for fish and chips? Feck me I might come back cafes and the ice cream outlets were a lot more than just a few chippy and they were always full when we went.
Tbh I prefer Bakewell except for that bloody roundabout.
There was a protest about something that never happened. The Labour led District Council proposed parking fees. Before they could instigate said fees (during which a protest was held), the incoming new Tory led District Council scrapped the plans. Then instead of raising revenue, they cut back on expenditure, and closed all the public toilets instead.

I live here, I don't need to look it up... Bikers never had to pay, and still don't. There's nowhere to piss though, so you need a big bladder.
Grrrr well we paid twice to use that pavilion car park!!! maybe we should sue? They' shut the bogs? how bloody stupid can they get.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 25604
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:59 pm
By the way. An apology on the stats. We set up three stations where the speed cameras were to cover the maximum amount of traffic with limited resource.
It has been pointed out to me that many of the recorded traffic will have been counted twice if they either came in on the Via Gellia and exited on the A6 southwards, or came in on the A6 from the north and exited via the Hill or Via Gellia. We can't seperate those numbers out as each road was totalled without cross reference to the other roads.
Makes more sense as those numbers did seem insanely high.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:26 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:04 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am
Well we no longer take our bikes to Matlock bath, the buggers charge for parking, local businesses don't like It either though I guess it suits spots.
You quite obviously have not been here. It's the same as it's always been, free parking all along the promenade.

As for 'local businesses', there are two 'biker' shops left in Matlock Bath, failing businesses because despite over a quarter of a million motorbike journeys ending in Matlock Bath a year (some say 500,000), the parsimonious beggars spend about £1 each on fish and chips and 0.5p each on biker gear.
They cost the local parish council more than the revenue generated.
Been there many times mate and yes bikers had to pay look it up there was actually some protest about it.
A pound for fish and chips? Feck me I might come back cafes and the ice cream outlets were a lot more than just a few chippy and they were always full when we went.
Tbh I prefer Bakewell except for that bloody roundabout.
There was a protest about something that never happened. The Labour led District Council proposed parking fees. Before they could instigate said fees (during which a protest was held), the incoming new Tory led District Council scrapped the plans. Then instead of raising revenue, they cut back on expenditure, and closed all the public toilets instead.

I live here, I don't need to look it up... Bikers never had to pay, and still don't. There's nowhere to piss though, so you need a big bladder.
Grrrr well we paid twice to use that pavilion car park!!! maybe we should sue? They' shut the bogs? how bloody stupid can they get.
Ahh, the Pavilion car park and the Matlock Bath Station car park always have and still are pay and display. The protests were about the mile of free parking along the Promenade.
One of the bogs (Pavilion end) is still shut. The other end (by the Midland) has just been taken over by the Parish Council and local businesses ... costs 20 pence a piss now though ..
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 am
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:59 pm
By the way. An apology on the stats. We set up three stations where the speed cameras were to cover the maximum amount of traffic with limited resource.
It has been pointed out to me that many of the recorded traffic will have been counted twice if they either came in on the Via Gellia and exited on the A6 southwards, or came in on the A6 from the north and exited via the Hill or Via Gellia. We can't seperate those numbers out as each road was totalled without cross reference to the other roads.
Makes more sense as those numbers did seem insanely high.
The stats for the speed guns are still the same.
92,506 motorised vehicles were targeted. 65,409 were above the speed limit.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Rampant Casual Roaduser Criminality

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:44 pm

Rampant Road Rage... And Criminality...

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/cr ... -1-5868729

Norwich is the place to be.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests