Tennis, anyone.....?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply

Will Andy Murray ever win a Grand Slam?

He will never ever win, lot's of runner ups though.
12
31%
He should at least get 1, surely!!!
12
31%
He will come good, winning a few!
9
23%
He will have bagel set wins many a time!
0
No votes
He should do doubles, at least then he has a chance!
6
15%
 
Total votes: 39

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4025
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Glad to see there was nothing much to miss there.
It was certainly a day for going to the wire.

Quality final. Two great champions.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19902
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am

Undoubtedly so, though I've never been able to warm to Djokovic. I think he's probably the one who is the best of all time, but feel nowhere near the investment as with Federer or particularly for me Rafa.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12677
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
Undoubtedly so, though I've never been able to warm to Djokovic. I think he's probably the one who is the best of all time, but feel nowhere near the investment as with Federer or particularly for me Rafa.
This best of all time strikes me as a bit over the top (and you said earlier the best 3-5 of all time are still playing). The joker is possibly the greatest player of his generation, but I wonder how he would do with a wooden racket, catgut strings and plimsolls against a Rod Laver, definitely the greatest player of his generation. I don't think you can compare different generations in any meaningful way.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.
:pray:Image

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:10 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 am
Undoubtedly so, though I've never been able to warm to Djokovic. I think he's probably the one who is the best of all time, but feel nowhere near the investment as with Federer or particularly for me Rafa.
This best of all time strikes me as a bit over the top (and you said earlier the best 3-5 of all time are still playing). The joker is possibly the greatest player of his generation, but I wonder how he would do with a wooden racket, catgut strings and plimsolls against a Rod Laver, definitely the greatest player of his generation. I don't think you can compare different generations in any meaningful way.
I totally agree Monty. In any sport you cannot possibly compare across generations. It's especially unmeaningful when technology plays a hand, as it undoubtedly does in tennis.
I remember the visceral arguments that used to take place between two of my uncles as to who, between Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali and Rocky Marciano, was the undoubtedly best heavyweight champeen of ze world ever. And there was no technological advantage even...! Just different generations who never met. It's impossible to tell, and therefore utterly totally meaningless to say that any percentage of today's top players are all-time best - that's just bollox.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19902
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm

You certainly can't come up with a definitive unarguable answer but you can definitively have the conversation. It certainly is not "just bollox".

It seems a particularly odd line to take as well on a football forum. No room for qualitative, subjective bar-room type debate here!

I think Djokovic probably is the best tennis player of all time. I also think he almost certainly isn't the most loved or lovable. So ner.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm
You certainly can't come up with a definitive unarguable answer but you can definitively have the conversation. It certainly is not "just bollox".

It seems a particularly odd line to take as well on a football forum. No room for qualitative, subjective bar-room type debate here!

I think Djokovic probably is the best tennis player of all time. I also think he almost certainly isn't the most loved or lovable. So ner.
Well Mr sensitive, did I deny you room to develop an argument? By stating something is "just bollox" doesn't stop an argument dead, as you've just proved, so why get precious about it?
My argument is that it's absolutely impossible to prove across generations who is better at whatever - it's not even a particularly pretentious or controversial or right-wing or 'anythingyouinparticularhateism' view for fxck sake. Obviously upset you though. So ner to you.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19902
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm

I mean, you've taken what I said and you've run with it, for sure.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18439
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 11:14 am
Location: In the long grass, hunting for a watering hole.

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm
I mean, you've taken what I said and you've run with it, for sure.
I'm glad we agree.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7024
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:34 pm

I think Djokovic probably is the best tennis player of all time. I also think he almost certainly isn't the most loved or lovable. So ner.
He wasn't even the best player in Wimbledon yesterday! He's a cracker, undoubtedly but behind Federer & Sampras (also quite unloveable) for me.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4025
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Enoch » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Bollox or no, there is no debate as to who was the greatest tennis player of all time.

Here.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19902
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tennis, anyone.....?

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Go on Andy lad! He almost certainly won't get back close to where he was, but to win an ATP final against a proper top 10 player in Wawrinka 9 months after hip surgery is yet another phenomenal achievement.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests