General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23778
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 pm

The stupidity never stops, it just moves about a.bit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36114
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:00 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?
Double barrelled surnames used to be the preserve of the landed gentry. Now it appears to be the exact opposite.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20233
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 am

Very confusing for Jamie Redknapp too.

Does he talk about "your Alexander-Arnolds, your Oxlade-Chamberlains", or is it Alexanders-Arnold and Oxlades-Chamberlain?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12881
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?
Agreed but some really do suit,

Wrong-Daily springs to mind :D

Just as an aside, apparently due to her large forehead she is now being referred to as the Klingon :lol:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7434
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?
Not that I’m advocating doing it because I totally see your point but what is the answer? In this day and age why should a woman take a mans name? It’s all very outdated and sexist yet it’s nice for children to have the same name as both their parents and it makes things less confusing. Perhaps people should just agree which out of the two surnames they prefer when marrying and stick to that?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20233
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm

Go Dawn Porter and Chris O'Dowd.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36114
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:59 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Not that I’m advocating doing it because I totally see your point but what is the answer? In this day and age why should a woman take a mans name? It’s all very outdated and sexist yet it’s nice for children to have the same name as both their parents and it makes things less confusing. Perhaps people should just agree which out of the two surnames they prefer when marrying and stick to that?
My younger brother's wife still goes by her maiden name. Not sure how it stacks up legally though. In fact, I've never actually thought about it until now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23778
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?
Not that I’m advocating doing it because I totally see your point but what is the answer? In this day and age why should a woman take a mans name? It’s all very outdated and sexist yet it’s nice for children to have the same name as both their parents and it makes things less confusing. Perhaps people should just agree which out of the two surnames they prefer when marrying and stick to that?
I'm not suggesting that a woman should necessarily take the mans name, I'm just pointing to the fact it's going to get bloody messy when two double barrelled offspring can't agree so they take both... :-) I was asking the same question in a round about way - what's the answer. :-)

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

The answer, Worthy, is the stupidity never ends. :D

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.

By the by, after marriage the onus is on the individual to notify releveant departments, passport, DVLA etc. If one doesn't want to take the other"s name no action is required, business as usual.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36114
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.
Cheers, Enoch. A friend of mine has a 'stage name'. On important documents it usually states his real name then (Known professionally as....)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7434
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?
Not that I’m advocating doing it because I totally see your point but what is the answer? In this day and age why should a woman take a mans name? It’s all very outdated and sexist yet it’s nice for children to have the same name as both their parents and it makes things less confusing. Perhaps people should just agree which out of the two surnames they prefer when marrying and stick to that?
I'm not suggesting that a woman should necessarily take the mans name, I'm just pointing to the fact it's going to get bloody messy when two double barrelled offspring can't agree so they take both... :-) I was asking the same question in a round about way - what's the answer. :-)
I know you weren’t suggesting they should. Seems neither of us know the answer :D

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20233
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.
Cheers, Enoch. A friend of mine has a 'stage name'. On important documents it usually states his real name then (Known professionally as....)
Martin Sheen is Ramon Estevez on his driving licence (though his dipshit son is "Charlie Sheen", and t'other is Emilio Estevez).

Which reminds me of one of my favourite Twitter jokes:

I'm looking to get into contact with Emilio Estevez. Does anyone know his Emailio Addresstevez?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:55 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.
Cheers, Enoch. A friend of mine has a 'stage name'. On important documents it usually states his real name then (Known professionally as....)
Martin Sheen is Ramon Estevez on his driving licence (though his dipshit son is "Charlie Sheen", and t'other is Emilio Estevez).

Which reminds me of one of my favourite Twitter jokes:

I'm looking to get into contact with Emilio Estevez. Does anyone know his Emailio Addresstevez?

:lol:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.
Cheers, Enoch. A friend of mine has a 'stage name'. On important documents it usually states his real name then (Known professionally as....)
Gary Glitter? :grin:
...

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4267
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Enoch » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:36 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.
Cheers, Enoch. A friend of mine has a 'stage name'. On important documents it usually states his real name then (Known professionally as....)
Gary Glitter? :grin:

:lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36114
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:23 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm

In this country, Bruce, one can legally call oneself anything one chooses. Only on certain legal documents will you be refered to by your 'legal name'. Be that the one you were registered at birth with, or have subsequently legally changed it to.

The rules however are not completely set in stone. I imagine Elton John has a passport in the name of Reg Dwight, yet Robert Smith may well have one in the name of Bob.
Cheers, Enoch. A friend of mine has a 'stage name'. On important documents it usually states his real name then (Known professionally as....)
Gary Glitter? :grin:
:lol:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12881
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Hoboh » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:44 pm

'Bottom line: Meghan/Harry wanted to have their cake and eat it, but the Queen just took the cake back to the royal kitchens.'
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12732
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 12:45 am
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:34 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Double barrelled surnames. It's going through a bit of a vogue when people get married to retain both parties' name as a new surname (all a bit fdcking stupid in my book). Anyone knows wtf happens when their offspring Chantel Widget Handler marries Kyle Jones Smith? Do their kids end up getting called Snuffkins Widget Handler Jones Smith? Where approximately does the fcuking stupidity stop?
Not that I’m advocating doing it because I totally see your point but what is the answer? In this day and age why should a woman take a mans name? It’s all very outdated and sexist yet it’s nice for children to have the same name as both their parents and it makes things less confusing. Perhaps people should just agree which out of the two surnames they prefer when marrying and stick to that?
Over here a woman cannot no longer take her husband's name legally. She remains with her birth name on all legal documents. As in England we can call ourselves anything we want, of course, and many anglophones use Mrs. and their husband's surname in day to day life. However, on the driving license, the medicare card, etc., etc, the maiden name is used. This can cause confusion. I went to the hospital to visit a sick colleague whom I had known for years. However, I could not trace her because I didn't know her maiden name. This problem will of course fade away eventually one supposes.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 36114
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Iceland has the best system on this front.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests