Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38521
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
Whatever you wish. I watched the game on T.V. I was just surprised at such an attendance, nothing more.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20054
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
Was also billed as a "sell out" which even by the most generous of definitions of "sell" it quite plainly isn't.

Mr Goldacre? If you haven't read his Bad Science I'd heartily recommend it. Top 5 in my pop science books. But more importantly on the theme of doctors turned authors you absolutely have to, have to read This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.

The funniest book I have ever read, hands down, by a million miles. I'll personally pay you £50 if you don't love it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3554
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by malcd1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:44 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
Was also billed as a "sell out" which even by the most generous of definitions of "sell" it quite plainly isn't.

Mr Goldacre? If you haven't read his Bad Science I'd heartily recommend it. Top 5 in my pop science books. But more importantly on the theme of doctors turned authors you absolutely have to, have to read This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay.

The funniest book I have ever read, hands down, by a million miles. I'll personally pay you £50 if you don't love it.

I was speaking to a Man City fan last night. He mentioned that all season ticket holders could watch the Man City v Man U womens match for free back in September. The attendance for that game was 31,000. Pretty good but how many paid?

Man City have an average crowd of 9,092 yet Everton (Bottom of the 'Super League') only 565. Tickets for Man City women are between £6.50 and £8.50 per game but there does not appear to be any public record of how many are actually paying.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20054
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 pm

Fascinating to be alive in the time when we took the world's best game and decided to ruin it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:04 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:44 am

Mr Goldacre? If you haven't read his Bad Science I'd heartily recommend it. Top 5 in my pop science books.
Indeed. He does seem to be coming across a little like Martin Lewis though, viz, knows his stuff but can put it across in a very patronising manner. Will definitely check out Bad Science though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7363
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Crowd at England v Germany Women's football tonight,77,700 plus. Just mentioning.
I'm reading this wonderful book just now, entitled 'I Think You'll Find It's a Bit More Complicated Than That'.

So, shall we break this marvellous 77,700 figure down into paying categories then? :D
Whatever you wish. I watched the game on T.V. I was just surprised at such an attendance, nothing more.
It’s nice to see the women’s game get such interest Tango, regardless of how much or not people pay.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:13 pm

I'd be happy to pay double to watch this cake and arse party :D

May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38521
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 pm

England knocked 7 past Montenegro the other night and 4 past Kosova tonight. The latter was more than a bit "false feathers" and a much better game. Kosovo impressed by their determination, good aggressive play and no small skill and we sure weren't 4 goals better than them..Granted we're experimenting with newer and younger players, but Stirling only woke up in the second half and Kosova had good possession and a very good passing game. Fortunately, we took our chances when they came. Rashford and Kane are England's best players right now, McGuire is really solid in defence and Chilwell is really impressing at left back. 11 goals in two games is still very creditable.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:47 pm

Well done, Serie A :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Image
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 pm

Can Mo Salah really have meant that ball to Mane for Liverpool's 2nd? If he did then it goes down as one of the most amazing 'put-ins' that I've ever seen.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23383
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 pm
Can Mo Salah really have meant that ball to Mane for Liverpool's 2nd? If he did then it goes down as one of the most amazing 'put-ins' that I've ever seen.
Did you see their first three goals when they beat Everton 5-2, Brucie? All contenders for the same accolade. The first of the three from Mane was like watching a crown green bowl steal round the back of the blockers to land on the Jack...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:49 pm
Can Mo Salah really have meant that ball to Mane for Liverpool's 2nd? If he did then it goes down as one of the most amazing 'put-ins' that I've ever seen.
Did you see their first three goals when they beat Everton 5-2, Brucie? All contenders for the same accolade. The first of the three from Mane was like watching a crown green bowl steal round the back of the blockers to land on the Jack...
I haven't, Worthy, but I'll dig them out.

Cheers for the heads-up, Marra, and all the best.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: On a shelf

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Jugs » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Wtf is happening to football when goals like the West Ham one last night are now disallowed.

Enoch
Icon
Icon
Posts: 4255
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: The Garden of England.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Enoch » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:43 pm

Verlinden gets on as an 80th minute sub.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20054
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:09 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm
Wtf is happening to football when goals like the West Ham one last night are now disallowed.
Idiotic rule. And a fecking nightmare for referees who don't have VAR.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7363
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 am

Really hope Liverpool get stuffed in their Fa Cup replay. I quite like Klopp as it happens, but think he’s being a bit of a knob snubbing the cup like this. Pretty insulting for Shrewsbury.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7363
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 am
Really hope Liverpool get stuffed in their Fa Cup replay. I quite like Klopp as it happens, but think he’s being a bit of a knob snubbing the cup like this. Pretty insulting for Shrewsbury.

* though if we happen to draw them in another round he’s welcome to play his U9’s ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:05 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 am
Really hope Liverpool get stuffed in their Fa Cup replay. I quite like Klopp as it happens, but think he’s being a bit of a knob snubbing the cup like this. Pretty insulting for Shrewsbury.
I read also that Accrington's chairman was sounding off about this, claiming it's the greed of Premier League clubs that's leading to situations like this. I'd counter that it's the greed of lower league chairmen who expect the reigning European champions to show up just so that they can have a bumper payday. Surely Klopp has the right to pick who he wants, when he wants, no?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7363
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:17 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:05 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:20 am
Really hope Liverpool get stuffed in their Fa Cup replay. I quite like Klopp as it happens, but think he’s being a bit of a knob snubbing the cup like this. Pretty insulting for Shrewsbury.
I read also that Accrington's chairman was sounding off about this, claiming it's the greed of Premier League clubs that's leading to situations like this. I'd counter that it's the greed of lower league chairmen who expect the reigning European champions to show up just so that they can have a bumper payday. Surely Klopp has the right to pick who he wants, when he wants, no?
Maybe he does have the right to pick who he wants - though I’d argue he should be there himself rather then leaving the managing to someone else, I think that’s just rude and disrespectful, but as a fan of a club that would definitely profit from a bumper pay day isn’t this how some of the small clubs actually keep in business? Bolton wouldn’t turn down the cash a game against some of the bigger clubs would bring? Not really going to get the same turn out if people know it’s the reserves or youth team they are sending. By all means rest some players but to send out a totally different team? 😕 Not like he knew the replay wouldn’t be when it is. Should have sent out a stronger team to get the job done to start with. There’s very few teams (possibly only Liverpool because they are guaranteed pretty much to win the league) that aren’t that fussed about progressing in the FA Cup.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests