Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 am

Lindfield U10 football training has been moved to tomorrow due to the weather here in Sussex. It’s grim down south currently! Sure you tough northerners will be fine with a bit of rain though. It’s not like BP’s playing...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat May 08, 2021 9:03 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:02 am
Lindfield U10 football training has been moved to tomorrow due to the weather here in Sussex. It’s grim down south currently! Sure you tough northerners will be fine with a bit of rain though. It’s not like BP’s playing...

😡 Pretty grim up north!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat May 08, 2021 9:19 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:35 am
I feel sick. Absolutely bricking it!

Same here. I feel a long walk coming on at 3pm.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 08, 2021 9:31 am

I’m as calm as I’ve ever been. I think we will do the job. If we don’t then we’ve only got ourselves to blame and I guess if the character of the team isn’t up to this best we find out now.

It will be reet.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 am

The character of this team is different by a long way, to the character of the team before Christmas. 5 of the starters v FGR in the first game no longer get starts.

No team wins all big games, regardless of how used to winning, being mentally attuned or how much "bottle" they have.

Nervous 1-0

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 am

Will be called off for water logging, but Bradford will win sending us up and then we'll lose 8 nil on Tuesday night after being on the piss for 3 days.

I need a lie down.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 am
The character of this team is different by a long way, to the character of the team before Christmas. 5 of the starters v FGR in the first game no longer get starts.

No team wins all big games, regardless of how used to winning, being mentally attuned or how much "bottle" they have.

Nervous 1-0
The character is found out on the biggest of days. Many many teams do great in the chase but not so well when they need to get over the line. We will find out today.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:31 am
I’m as calm as I’ve ever been. I think we will do the job. If we don’t then we’ve only got ourselves to blame and I guess if the character of the team isn’t up to this best we find out now.

It will be reet.
I was alright until I found out you were calm and confident 😉

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 08, 2021 10:02 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:54 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It will be reet.
If we are properly focussed and play to our potential we will be fine. It’s ours to throw away.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:53 am
Worthy4England wrote:

Nervous 1-0
The character is found out on the biggest of days. Many many teams do great in the chase but not so well when they need to get over the line. We will find out today.
Character is found in many places. If we'd, played the first 4 months like the last 4, it wouldn't have come to a coin toss. Comebacks against Carlisle and Mansfield, outplaying Cambridge, beating FGR to go into the playoff spots, getting a result at Morcambe, playing till the final whistle at Southend, big defensive performances under pressure at unbeaten at home Salford, Bradford, Carlisle. All showed character. The fact you have been setting a "bottlers" narrative around some particular games, which you put down to luck when we win them and bottle when we don't isn't going to change where character is found.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 08, 2021 10:09 am

officer_dibble wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It will be reet.
Don't worry he's only setting it up to say I told you so later. The narrative is set, it's just how we get there.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 08, 2021 10:18 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:09 am
officer_dibble wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It will be reet.
Don't worry he's only setting it up to say I told you so later. The narrative is set, it's just how we get there.
I thought there was only me spotted the "How could anyone calling themselves footballers not win that?" Plot... :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am

I was more nervous at this time last week.

That result has at least prepared me for the worst today but its not needed. We'll feckin shit em!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat May 08, 2021 10:45 am

Maybe it’s living in a temperate country but I genuinely don’t know of any postponements among games which have to be played simultaneously for sporting integrity (ie final games in a league) since 1982’s Anschluss game in which West Germany and Austria stitched up Algeria in a stupid three-team World Cup group. Postponements might have happened since, but I don’t know of it. Can you imagine the piss and wind from the Morecambe fans if we had the advantage of knowing what we had to do?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Nervous 1-0
Character is found in many places. If we'd, played the first 4 months like the last 4, it wouldn't have come to a coin toss. Comebacks against Carlisle and Mansfield, outplaying Cambridge, beating FGR to go into the playoff spots, getting a result at Morcambe, playing till the final whistle at Southend, big defensive performances under pressure at unbeaten at home Salford, Bradford, Carlisle. All showed character. The fact you have been setting a "bottlers" narrative around some particular games, which you put down to luck when we win them and bottle when we don't isn't going to change where character is found.
Football is a series of often one off games that define you. The best teams rise to these occasions. We had two chances. I don’t think we will blow the second today. We will be focussed and do the job surely.

But there are plenty of examples of teams looking great then blowing it at the end. See Leicester last season. And potentially from an even better position this season. You just don’t want it to become a habit for sure.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am

That result has at least prepared me for the worst today but its not needed. We'll feckin shit em!

I wasn’t nervous at all last week. I was going around the house singing, ‘we are going up’. That went well!

Bricking it today. No singing, but wearing my home top from 2005-07 which miraculously still fits!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 am

Find something else to do. There's no chance we'll be playing today.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:49 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:29 am

I wasn’t nervous at all last week. I was going around the house singing, ‘we are going up’. That went well!
Same. But not today. Had to double check start time, was hoping for 1pm.

Make it stop...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 08, 2021 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 10:08 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Nervous 1-0
Football is a series of often one off games that define you. The best teams rise to these occasions. We had two chances. I don’t think we will blow the second today. We will be focussed and do the job surely.

But there are plenty of examples of teams looking great then blowing it at the end. See Leicester last season. And potentially from an even better position this season. You just don’t want it to become a habit for sure.
I've given you a whole list of "one off games" where we showed plenty of character - they are part of what defines us. We had two chances, because of the character we showed in the 44 games that got us there (some bad pre-Christmas and some good post-Christmas). As for Leicester last season, I don't think any of our starting eleven was even at the Club last season. So hardly a two season trend forming here at the minute.

You're trying to set up a "we lost two important games running, therefore it's a habit" story, and hedging your bet behind "I think we'll win"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat May 08, 2021 11:16 am

Like a bad psychic.

"You don't know anyone called Gary do you?...see I said you didn't!"
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.