January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:36 am

Mar wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:29 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:14 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:26 pm
one extended (Amaechi).
Another where you're left scratching your head as to when he gets games.
I didn't think that was the case. I thought Amaechi was one of our stand out targets over the summer and we got him rather late after we found out he was available
Not what I meant, Mar.

I mean it's hard to see him forcing his way into a team that now seems to have so many players ahead of him.

When everyone is fit, I make him as often 2 players outside the 11 in both systems - maybe only one in the 4-3-3 depending, but still not playing much.

If he's a 10 in the current system he's probably behind Sadlier, Lee and Dapo. If he's a forward he's behind Charles, Kachunga when fit, Dad Bod and Baka (probably also Dapo) for those positions.

In the 4-3-3 we have Dapo and Sadlier as obvious wide options now, with Dad Bod, Kachunga, Baka and Izzy as other options when all are fit. If we assume Izzy is out most of the season he's still competing with at least 4 and maybe 5 other players for the roles out wide. Again, maybe we start playing a full 10 in that system - but in that case you'd think the first choice would be Dapo, Sadlier and then one of Kachunga/Dad Bod/Baka.

I like Amaechi, from watching him as a kid and his cameos for us; but it is hard to see how he gets regular football here. It's not impossible to see him playing and I have no doubt he will get minutes, but he'll do very well to become a regular.

That said, it's hard to know what Evatt sees in training and how ruthless he will be. It could well be that Evatt sees Amaechi as a player who can play in the Championship and who we should bring in permanently in the summer, at the expense of one of the other players.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:18 am

I’m out walking the dog and thinking of ways to fit all out new players in, either with a back three or four, and it’s not easy - especially if you include Amaechi and even more so if you also presume Dempsey comes, as Friday’s murmurs have it.

It can be done, but if leaves out some players you’d have assumed at Christmas were surefire starters.

I guess it means we actually have competition in midfield and attack. Interesting that we’ve strengthened so much there considering nobody denied our defence needed improving…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:25 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:10 am
So Gordon, Tutte, Delf, Sheehan and Isgrove could all be de-registered if need be to free up spaces.
Sort of.

Gordon is our only cover for LB and certainly LWB, unless we force Johnston or an unwilling Sadlier out there, and we know from last season how that can hurt.

Tutte is arguably our only cover at No.6.

Delf, totes. It’s surely who Evatt was referring to.

Sheehan, aye, unless he’s hoping to be back by end of season; I doubt he will be.

Isgrove - a bit like Sheehan except he might be back a tad earlier.

But I reckon we’ve still got two spaces left anyway…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:29 am

^^ Think I saw Sheehan targeting "pre-season" in one of BN's articles

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:38 am

Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:18 am
I’m out walking the dog and thinking of ways to fit all out new players in, either with a back three or four, and it’s not easy - especially if you include Amaechi and even more so if you also presume Dempsey comes, as Friday’s murmurs have it.

It can be done, but if leaves out some players you’d have assumed at Christmas were surefire starters.

I guess it means we actually have competition in midfield and attack. Interesting that we’ve strengthened so much there considering nobody denied our defence needed improving…
I still don't deny our defence needs improving... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:57 am

The fact Senior has gone on loan means we are one short at the back on numbers, never mind quality. Meanwhile we look like being 5 beyond the "2 per position" in midfield and defence (not including Sheehan).

It's odd, I agree.

The squad looks like a 4-2-1-2, but the current system is 5-3-2.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:06 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:38 am
nobody denied our defence needed improving…
I still don't deny our defence needs improving... :-)
I’d be happy with continuity of clean sheets. So would Evatt:

“Last season our really good run was all from a solid base, clean sheets, being hard to beat and we’d nick the odd goal.

“We’re more attacking and expansive this season but we’ve come away from that solid base and foundation.

“George Johnston comes in with weird and crazy statistics every single day. He told me there are six teams who haven’t lost after going ahead this season.

“We’re one of them and Sunderland are also one, so that’s 0-0 this Saturday! But yeah, the first goal in games is pivotal and I think too many times this season, we haven’t got it.

“When we do get it, we seem to build and grow in confidence and we manage to see things out, so hopefully we can score a bit earlier than we did last week and make this game more enjoyable. But this is as tough as it gets.”

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:13 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:57 am
The fact Senior has gone on loan means we are one short at the back on numbers, never mind quality. Meanwhile we look like being 5 beyond the "2 per position" in midfield and defence (not including Sheehan).

It's odd, I agree.

The squad looks like a 4-2-1-2, but the current system is 5-3-2.
We clearly haven’t recruited with 5-3-2 in mind, making me think it’s just a stop gap to settle us down.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 am

In todays Bolton News he's still mentioning getting another two in wth no reference to Sadlier being one of the two. If that's the case it could be Dempsey then quite possibly a defender.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 am

Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:25 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
So Gordon, Tutte, Delf, Sheehan and Isgrove could all be de-registered if need be to free up spaces.
Sort of.

Gordon is our only cover for LB and certainly LWB, unless we force Johnston or an unwilling Sadlier out there, and we know from last season how that can hurt.

Sheehan, aye, unless he’s hoping to be back by end of season; I doubt he will be.

I think this is where the system makes a difference. If we are mainly playing 3 at the back then Sadlier could for now act as LWB cover. He may be reluctant but presumably gets to play elsewhere normally in the side.

And in a 4 I think we could try Johnston and LB over Gordon. So I’d say perhaps Gordon could go or be deregistered.

When back Isgrove would be our best RWB cover too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:28 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:22 am
In todays Bolton News he's still mentioning getting another two in wth no reference to Sadlier being one of the two. If that's the case it could be Dempsey then quite possibly a defender.
Duh? Important stuff please. How did the kettle train this week? No twinges? In his element?

It could be potentially Dempsey and that huge NL CB maybe?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:31 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Not sure. The BN has got into the habit of splitting up Evatt’s quote torrent into several days’ pieces. That’s fair enough but it wouldn’t surprise me if those quotes were from his pre-match presser, which would have been Thursday, ie pre-Sadlier. (Could check vs MEN or offish site, but CBA.)

That said, it wouldn’t surprise me to see some late juggling, bits and pieces around the edges. Young loanee LB in and Gordon out, for example.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:31 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:25 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
Sort of.

I think this is where the system makes a difference. If we are mainly playing 3 at the back then Sadlier could for now act as LWB cover. He may be reluctant but presumably gets to play elsewhere normally in the side.

And in a 4 I think we could try Johnston and LB over Gordon. So I’d say perhaps Gordon could go or be deregistered.

When back Isgrove would be our best RWB cover too.
Not sure in a 4, whether we have cover for Jones. I know it's nominally Fossey but wasn't convinced with him as RB (defensively)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:31 am
Not sure in a 4, whether we have cover for Jones. I know it's nominally Fossey but wasn't convinced with him as RB (defensively)
Heh, just been struck by the amusing thought of Evatt having to field a Pulis back four entirely made of centre-backs - Johnston-Santos-Aimson-Baptiste. I reckon he’d probably rather play Fossey - or a back three…

(I agree Foz didn’t look rock solid at RB, but it was early days in a nervy defence.)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 am

Talking of loanee left backs I see Ben Jackson went to Doncaster the other day. I would keep an eye on him - if he’s available in the summer I would have him in to provide proper competition to John.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:39 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 am
Talking of loanee left backs I see Ben Jackson went to Doncaster the other day. I would keep an eye on him - if he’s available in the summer I would have him in to provide proper competition to John.
He signed a three-year extension in summer and is now contracted until summer 2024. Doesn’t mean he won’t be available, like, but… They’re obviously judging him by nudging him up through the divisions, see where his ceiling is. If they were to get shut, it would mean they don’t think much…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:50 am

Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:35 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:31 am
Heh, just been struck by the amusing thought of Evatt having to field a Pulis back four entirely made of centre-backs - Johnston-Santos-Aimson-Baptiste. I reckon he’d probably rather play Fossey - or a back three…

(I agree Foz didn’t look rock solid at RB, but it was early days in a nervy defence.)
Yeah, not going to hang him for it at this juncture (same with Traf in goals)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:53 am

I’m out walking the dog and thinking of ways to fit all out new players in, either with a back three or four, and it’s not easy
I've put something akin on it's own thread. There's lots of I can see it in this formation (or that one) but we can only play one of 'em...at any one time...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:54 am

Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:39 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:36 am
He signed a three-year extension in summer and is now contracted until summer 2024. Doesn’t mean he won’t be available, like, but… They’re obviously judging him by nudging him up through the divisions, see where his ceiling is. If they were to get shut, it would mean they don’t think much…
Shame! I thought he signed a one year deal last summer for some reason. Suppose they are in with a play off shout at the moment so a lot depends on that. I think he’s a good un but time will tell!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I'm thinking "reluctant" may be a tad understated for a player who left his club because of being forced to play as L.W.B.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?