Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Deal or no deal? - Summer 2022 Transfer gossip!

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed May 04, 2022 5:44 pm

The nature of the LWB depends on the oppo. In games we expect (or want) to dominate, they're essentially just a winger - as noted, Dapo seemed to be in that role (on the right) for the latter stages at Cheltenham. Ghost wants Cadden, who to me just looks like a winger - a willowy No.11 - but it's worked for FGR.

Against the better sides, a more solid LWB could be Iredale.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 04, 2022 6:02 pm

John was excellent after October at left back and left wing back. Said he had some personal stuff on at the start of the season somewhere I think. He starts u less injured for me… Iredale is a Johnston upgrade and a cover left back I think. Could still see another centre half signing but as a right side to upgrade on Aimson/replace the Baps.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed May 04, 2022 6:49 pm

Page 27 of this thread and not a single signing? Boo. Evatt out.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 04, 2022 6:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 5:44 pm
The nature of the LWB depends on the oppo. In games we expect (or want) to dominate, they're essentially just a winger - as noted, Dapo seemed to be in that role (on the right) for the latter stages at Cheltenham. Ghost wants Cadden, who to me just looks like a winger - a willowy No.11 - but it's worked for FGR.

Not for me. Wingbacks have to be attacking in nature. Putting LBs there just means you end up with 5 at the back. Your only outlet in this system out wide have to be able to get forward and offer you shape.

Putting LBs or CBS there is a mistake, if you feel the need to do so I’d go 4 at the back to get your width higher up the pitch with more solidity. But playing conventional defenders at wing back is a mistake in my view. No matter the opposition.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 12:52 am

Wed May 04, 2022 5:44 pm
Ghost wants Cadden, who to me just looks like a winger - a willowy No.11 - but it's worked for FGR.

I think Cadden fills a tactical niche - but I also think Evatt may believe he's already filled it with Sadlier.

The way I view it we need the lads down the flanks to work in stages. Some are better centre backs, but can be fullbacks. Some are better fullbacks, but can be centre backs or wing backs. Some are better wing backs, but can be fullbacks and (in an ideal world) wide midfielders. Some are at their best as wide midfielders, but can also play wingback or as forwards.

In theory, that kind of versatility means you can always put some kind of side out that isn't square pegs in round holes, even during a crisis.

So defensively down our left that would look like: Johnston, Iredale, John, *signing*....but *signing* might be Sadlier.
Down our right it'd be (making one assumption): *signing*, Jones, Fossey, Isgrove...again, Sadlier can fill in here.

Anyone up to the third player can play in a flat four. Anyone down to the second player can play some role on the wings. So you've basically got at least 3 options per position defensive in each system.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 05, 2022 8:27 am

Random Fossey related thought: would he have a shot of making the US World Cup squad playing in League One? I’d suggest not, and I believe that was an ambition of his, however, given his recent injury perhaps he needs to lower his expectations slightly.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 8:55 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:27 am
Random Fossey related thought: would he have a shot of making the US World Cup squad playing in League One? I’d suggest not, and I believe that was an ambition of his, however, given his recent injury perhaps he needs to lower his expectations slightly.
This next world cup? No.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu May 05, 2022 9:44 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:55 am
The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:27 am
This next world cup? No.
Just for interest sake, there are currently 24 x League One players who play for their country. America are not Brazil.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:44 am
Just for interest sake, there are currently 24 x League One players who play for their country. America are not Brazil.
That's why I specified the next world cup.

Fossey has been earmarked for senior caps by the US set up for ages, but his injuries have held him back.

If he were pulling up trees in League One next season I could easily see him being capped after the World Cup. I could also see some of our lads getting capped by Wales, Australia etc.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu May 05, 2022 10:16 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:44 am
That's why I specified the next world cup.

Fossey has been earmarked for senior caps by the US set up for ages, but his injuries have held him back.

If he were pulling up trees in League One next season I could easily see him being capped after the World Cup. I could also see some of our lads getting capped by Wales, Australia etc.
Even if he were pulling up trees in League One I think he’d have a hard time. Sergiño Dest will be first choice, and presumably Yedlin will be back-up. I think Fossey would need to be excelling at Championship level to have a chance, barring injuries.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 10:39 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:16 am
Even if he were pulling up trees in League One I think he’d have a hard time. Sergiño Dest will be first choice, and presumably Yedlin will be back-up. I think Fossey would need to be excelling at Championship level to have a chance, barring injuries.
I think they'd cap him. If his knees crumble we may never find out.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 11:46 am

Matt Butcher to leave Accrington - he turned down a new contract. Was strongly linked to hometown heroes Pompey.

Stanley have also released Stephen Sama, Lewis Mansell, Ben Pleavin, Luke Stowe and Kevin Spinelli, whoever they may be.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61332705

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 pm

Thu May 05, 2022 11:46 am
Matt Butcher to leave Accrington - he turned down a new contract. Was strongly linked to hometown heroes Pompey.

Stanley have also released Stephen Sama, Lewis Mansell, Ben Pleavin, Luke Stowe and Kevin Spinelli, whoever they may be.

Butcher would tick some boxes on paper at least.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 12:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:31 pm
Thu May 05, 2022 11:46 am

Butcher would tick some boxes on paper at least.
I'm particularly interested that Ghost nudge-winked about him ahead of the home game... but it sounds a lot like Pompey is where his heart is. (Butcher's, not Ghost's.)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 12:44 pm

Thu May 05, 2022 12:41 pm
but it sounds a lot like Pompey is where his heart is. (Butcher's, not Ghost's.)
I am having a secret affair with that wanker with the bell and top hat....I can no longer deny it.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 12:46 pm

Interesting that Stanley have been able to trigger extensions on Sykes and Bishop. I wasn't aware those clauses existed and that makes sense of why things were being said about Butcher behind the scenes and not those two.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu May 05, 2022 12:52 pm

Callum Camps amongst others been released by Fleetwood

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu May 05, 2022 1:00 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:52 pm
Others being Kieran O'Hara, Anthony Pilkington, and Harrison Biggins - Wayne's lad, for those of longer tooth.

They've given Toto Nsiala a two-year deal. Each to their own.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu May 05, 2022 1:10 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:52 pm
Callum Camps wouldn't be my pick, but I do think he'd make a certain amount of sense.

When we brought Dempsey in we tried him at a #10 and it didn't work, but Camp is the kind of #10 we seemed to want Dempsey to be.

Fleetwood have been using him as an 8, because he can get stuck in and works hard - but he's very much a pressure 10.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:27 pm

I’d take Camps - good L1 player at a good age - but do we really need him? Does he really elevate our midfield options. Not sure 🤔