Trotters v Charlton - Time for the Sorting Hat - (H) 15:00 3rd Sept

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Trotters v Charlton - Time for the Sorting Hat - (H) 15:00 3rd Sept

Post by The_Gun » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:38 pm

The six league goals in six seasons man is exactly who we need when struggling to put the ball in the net…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:45 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:38 pm
The six league goals in six seasons man is exactly who we need when struggling to put the ball in the net…
Precisely. They'll never see it coming 8)

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:07 pm

Ah, the old lulling them into a false sense of security ploy. Alas, I feel this is too advanced a tactic for our glorious leader.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:37 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:09 pm
Yeah, I have him as a last 20 player tbf.
I think I tend to agree with that. However, I also think we've seen a lot of lax displays from lads this season and, purely personally, I'd put Kachunga out because I don't think he's one of them. I'd personally (mostly) put an 11 out that has earnt the start through application, to make a point.

I'm happy for other people to disagree with that approach and I don't anticipate it being what Evatt will do, but it would be my view of it.
Kacha isn't any sort of slacker for me. Good, honest fella, puts in lots of hard yards, if you watch his chasing back...agree with earned start principle, which sorta suggests some players might need to get their fingers out

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:31 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:09 pm
Yeah, I have him as a last 20 player tbf.
I think I tend to agree with that. However, I also think we've seen a lot of lax displays from lads this season and, purely personally, I'd put Kachunga out because I don't think he's one of them. I'd personally (mostly) put an 11 out that has earnt the start through application, to make a point.

I'm happy for other people to disagree with that approach and I don't anticipate it being what Evatt will do, but it would be my view of it.
On that basis what is the 11 you’d pick?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:03 pm
On that basis what is the 11 you’d pick?
The 11 I'd pick is: Trafford, Jones, Santos, Iredale, Bradley, Williams, Morley, Beck, Sadlier, Kachunga and Charles.

Rationale being that I'd send both Jones and Santos out there as captain and vice captain having been told that any malaise on the pitch will have me asking them questions and that I'm putting my faith in them to set the tone. Jones takes no crap and Santos, in my view, needs to be told he's backed to play well.

Beck I'd have straight in both tactically and to make a point.

Iredale, Bradley, Williams, Morley, Sadlier, Kachunga and Charles I think are the players who have most played how Evatt demands - specifically in terms of bravery in possession and wanting the ball.

Johnston hasn't played badly defensively, but he's hidden a couple of times when pressed. Lee is a player who everyone knows can start any game and doesn't need anyone "showing confidence" in him - so he'd easily be a merit pick, but I don't think he needs it.

For me, that's the group that's shown the most willingness to directly apply what Evatt wants regardless of whether everything is hunky-dory or not.

Like I say, it's not what Evatt will do. He'll continue to try and pick based on his own tactical analysis. His methodology is almost certainly better than mine.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:53 pm

I'd go

Traf; Bradley, Santos, Iredale, Beck (or Johnstone/Iredale if he's not ready); Morley, MJ, Dempsey; Sads, Charles, Dapo.

I think he'll go:

Traf; Jones, Santos, Johnstone, Bradley, Morley, MJ, Dempsey, Iredale; Dion, Dapo
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:06 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:53 pm
I'd go

Traf; Bradley, Santos, Iredale, Beck (or Johnstone/Iredale if he's not ready); Morley, MJ, Dempsey; Sads, Charles, Dapo.

I think he'll go:

Traf; Jones, Santos, Johnstone, Bradley, Morley, MJ, Dempsey, Iredale; Dion, Dapo
So we're sorta back on a two that don't work up front, but if you went 4-3-3, might? Tricky with 2 WB's from Liverpool, methinks.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:15 am

I've an optimistic hunch that tomorrow is where Sadlier gets a look.in and Charles' season really takes off. 2-0

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:06 am
Prufrock wrote:
I'd go

I think he'll go:

So we're sorta back on a two that don't work up front, but if you went 4-3-3, might? Tricky with 2 WB's from Liverpool, methinks.
Given Liverpool have played a back 4 basically Klopps whole time there I'm pretty sure the youth teams do too. Bradley is a full back certainly (who can obviously also play WB), I'm assuming Beck the same.

And Dapo and Charles are good players, but Dapo is a left winger. Best player should be playing his best position.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:18 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:35 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I'd go

I think he'll go:

Given Liverpool have played a back 4 basically Klopps whole time there I'm pretty sure the youth teams do too. Bradley is a full back certainly (who can obviously also play WB), I'm assuming Beck the same.

And Dapo and Charles are good players, but Dapo is a left winger. Best player should be playing his best position.
Agree, Pru. I'll tee it up, yadda yadds.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:39 am

Prufrock wrote:
Dapo is a left winger. Best player should be playing his best position.
If we move to a 4-3-3 it solves one issue and creates others. Dapo gets the role he needs, but then Charles, Santos etc fall out of their best roles.

The squad itself has been pretty well designed to be the flexible group Evatt said he wanted. If we go to a 4-3-3 we've still only 9 defenders for the 8 positions. However, any time you build a squad to be flexible you'll end up with some players who better suit one system than the other.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:09 am

Anyone having any issues with the online ordering service today? I'm trying to get additional tickets and being told I don't have the required permissions. Ticket office isn't currently answering the phone.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:22 am

Ticket office will sort in person - obvs give it enough time to get down there beforehand.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:50 am

"When Saturday Comes" . This particular Saturday is a bit on the critical side because there are obviously an element of the "Divine right" fan base who aren't fully convinced it won't be the same-old story despite transfers, loans and new faces. A draw won't fully convince, a loss some howls of protest.

So, Charlton then. Trafford will undoubtedly be guarding the jumpers, but will I.E risk an early start for both the youth club boys as Chariots of fire boom out from the tannoy? Beyond central defence (is even that a banker bet?) its all seems a bit "roll the dice" selection. With Jon Bod unlikely, Dion Charles looks certain on the sheet, but the rest is in the lap of the boss man. It will certainly take more experience than I currently have to know. I'd certainly have Kachunga up front with Charles despite doubts from some areas as he may save Dapo for later. Place your bets ....COME ON YOU WHITES.. :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:54 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:22 am
Ticket office will sort in person - obvs give it enough time to get down there beforehand.
Yeah, that'll end up being it. The issue is I'm going over with some infamous worriers and I won't hear the end of it in the car on the way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:05 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:18 am
Prufrock wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
I'd go

I think he'll go:

Agree, Pru. I'll tee it up, yadda yadds.
Doh!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:10 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:39 am
Prufrock wrote:
Dapo is a left winger. Best player should be playing his best position.
If we move to a 4-3-3 it solves one issue and creates others. Dapo gets the role he needs, but then Charles, Santos etc fall out of their best roles.

The squad itself has been pretty well designed to be the flexible group Evatt said he wanted. If we go to a 4-3-3 we've still only 9 defenders for the 8 positions. However, any time you build a squad to be flexible you'll end up with some players who better suit one system than the other.
I'm not sure there's much of an etc. And I'd dispute your Santos (or while middle of a 3 might be ideal, he has still played very well in a 4 for us). Charles and Johnstone are the only two I think suit the current formation better, and I think Charles would be fine anyway (under this manager).

I half think the desire to stay flexible is part of the problem. We've got no number 10, and 4 players who's best position is on the wing. I am a little surprised we haven't given 343 a proper go tbh. Legs in central midfield I assume is part of it, but it seems worth at least a proper go to me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:18 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:10 am
I'm not sure there's much of an etc.
That's fair enough, but I think every "striker" we have is better suited to a 2 than as a lone front man. Dad Bod is probably the most capable in that role, but even he is better with a partner in and around him.

I could talk about others too, but in the end it's all just opinion until we see it in action. I think our best formation is the current one. If we end up mainly playing a 4-3-3 I think we will need to make changes in January to facilitate that.

If and when we put of the 4-3-3 I may change my mind, who knows.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:02 am

You would hope Sadlier and Dapo would be decent forward support in front 3 - Charles as well but he’s not a natural out wide. Bakayoko wouldn’t work in itIMO.