January 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:10 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:06 pm
Not sure how solid our rumoured interest was, but looks like we can put this one to bed…
We definitely wanted him and definitely baulked at the price. Same with Rudoni.

At that price, you can understand why we went nowhere with it. Twice what we were willing to pay for him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:22 pm

Deleted my last post as I realised that Maghoma is on loan from Brentford, rather than a Wombles player, so we're probably looking at him with a view to future potential Prem loans.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm

Seemed like it would be one out and one in at the start of the week. Doesn't look like the case now, unless we're counting Adam Senior going out on loan to the be the one thats out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 pm

Mar wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm
Seemed like it would be one out and one in at the start of the week. Doesn't look like the case now, unless we're counting Adam Senior going out on loan to the be the one thats out.
I mean, as DSB said the other day, it's good we're hearing nothing as that's what you want when you're working - zero leaks.

As a fan, though, you just want it done.

I've been sat at home with a sick kid (nothing serious), so I've been a bit more focused on it this week than usual, but regardless I'd like an idea that we're doing (what I think) are the right things to give Evatt a good shot at going up this season.

We've started to see some of those injury issues I worried about at the start of the season come into the squad, so we could use the depth pretty sharpish.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:08 pm
Mar wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:54 pm
I mean, as DSB said the other day, it's good we're hearing nothing as that's what you want when you're working - zero leaks.

As a fan, though, you just want it done.

I've been sat at home with a sick kid (nothing serious), so I've been a bit more focused on it this week than usual, but regardless I'd like an idea that we're doing (what I think) are the right things to give Evatt a good shot at going up this season.

We've started to see some of those injury issues I worried about at the start of the season come into the squad, so we could use the depth pretty sharpish.
Weve been very leaky in the past few seasons and the leaks have pretty much been coinciding with completed transfers as opposed to speculation. So I'm not concerned over the leaks usually, although the delay in this one has me a tad concerned.

The club has been fantastic at recruiting lately so I would genuinely like to think that we'll see more of the same.

I suspect however that there are other factors at play here. If we are in for the guy from Wimbledon and there is a fee attached, the speed at which that deal could be done would largely be dependent on the speed at which the Dapo outbound deal would be done. So I suspect the delay isn't necessarily on our end.

Weve cleared up Bakas wages and I doubt our loan acquisition is on the same level, so that may have opened up some deal to be done.

I suspect we may see some players sitting out their contracts like John and Dixon. Dixon understandably as he's playing second fiddle and if he were to get a transfer it wouldn't be first choice, John on the other hand could quite easily have a case for a first team slot elsewhere but I suspect we'd tried to offload him in the summer and failed to get a club to match terms so he's sitting on his deal. Not that I blame him of course, just business being what it is.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:23 am

Mar wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:37 am
Weve been very leaky in the past few seasons and the leaks have pretty much been coinciding with completed transfers as opposed to speculation. So I'm not concerned over the leaks usually, although the delay in this one has me a tad concerned.

The club has been fantastic at recruiting lately so I would genuinely like to think that we'll see more of the same.

I suspect however that there are other factors at play here. If we are in for the guy from Wimbledon and there is a fee attached, the speed at which that deal could be done would largely be dependent on the speed at which the Dapo outbound deal would be done. So I suspect the delay isn't necessarily on our end.
If Assal is really going for a million quid and similar in wages then he is very much gone.

We have leaked and Evatt has mentioned that, but less so than most other clubs and usually towards the end of things. I'm sure he and Markham are very frustrated by it, that's normal, however it doesn't seem to be like the old days where certain staff members had a side-line selling stories. Seems to mainly be agents who leak our stuff, looking for better deals - as is pretty common on our budgets.

Hopefully those leaks they are having don't cost us any players and I'm pretty sure that if any of us actually heard something concrete we'd shut up. As things stand, all we have is conjecture and gossip that is very much "out there" for anyone who cares to know it. Hopefully we're all talking crap and a couple of signings take us completely by surprise.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:37 am

The ultra rare early morning deal done. Dapo to St Pauli official

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2023/januar ... -you-dapo/
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:37 am

Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:41 am

Shame. Enjoyed watching him - hope we negotiated as hard as AFC Wimbledon…

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:20 am

Wonder if that'll tip a domino for an incoming, today/tomorrow? Good luck to Dapo, been generally a pleasure.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:38 am

Sad to see we're losing a player of the season to a 2.Bundesliga relegation threatened side.

Still, given contract situations and all I suspect its all part of a master plan. 500k seems a bargain for a player of his calibre.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:39 am

^^ Where's 500k come from?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:42 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:39 am
I'm convinced someone in Germany has pulled his valuation off the website Transfermarkt and that's just been re-circulated. I asked Iles on Twitter, but dunno if I'll get a response.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:41 am
Shame. Enjoyed watching him - hope we negotiated as hard as AFC Wimbledon…
They had already sold Rudoni for £1m plus sell=on clauses, so they could afford to sit tight on Assal. I think a few (possibly including us) had hoped relegation would change things, but they are a tightly run club and it apparently didn't pose any meaningful changes on their budgets.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:58 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:42 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:39 am
I'm convinced someone in Germany has pulled his valuation off the website Transfermarkt and that's just been re-circulated. I asked Iles on Twitter, but dunno if I'll get a response.
We'll almost certainly not find out, and if you get a number we have little idea whether that's cash or cash plus add-ons, unless someone has some ITK...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:03 am

I reckon it’s a million, I’m not having he’s gone for £500k less than some league two geezer when he has 18 months on the contract.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:09 am

Dunno about the figure but it’s possible his valuation has been reduced by his relative positional inflexibility. He’s best described as inconsistent or limited at 10 or 9.

Which is not to say I haven’t loved having him at the club. I’ll miss him. But it’s the same as with any exit: the club goes on.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:11 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:03 am
I reckon it’s a million, I’m not having he’s gone for £500k less than some league two geezer when he has 18 months on the contract.
Mind the BEN article is saying £500k in the headline - missed that bit :-(

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:12 am

Doesn't really matter now. At worst he's paid for a new pitch, at best a new pitch and a bit more in the war chest for next season. There's a sell-on clause and my understanding is over half a million (euros) was the base fee, but there are add-ons too. Don't know if the base is all up front or just guaranteed payments. Just going off a chat with someone who works in recruitment in that league. Pinch of salt recommended, as ever; but that's the calculation one of their rivals is making when they try to figure out what else they might do.

If that is correct, we need to hope St.Pauli stay up, I suppose. If they get promoted whilst he is there, or sell him for a profit, we should get a bit of a windfall.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:23 am

Yes loved watching him play , at times, but i suspect he thought he was better than he actually was.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.