Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed May 31, 2023 11:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:45 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:37 pm
But I mean obviously the same striker scores more goals in a good team than a bad. That's what the xG is trying to get at.

It's obviously crude but, sceptic that I am, I'm more convinced by it that the obviously reductive goals per game.
Are you saying Adeboyejo has played in worse teams than Stockton?
Stockton, May and JCH all failed to score goals at league level before they got picked up by clubs who understood what they needed and where their potential was.

By your reasoning you can only spot a decent player after they've already played well for 2-3 seasons, but that's never been how the game has worked.

It's always been about professionals spotting potential. All data does is remove a lot of the bias from that assessment. You still need to be able too read the available data, understand what the team/coach needs and know what is and isn't coachable.

I've no issue with buying players who have proven themselves for years, but they cost more. You have to be able to get in there earlier and then stick by your pick whilst you work on them. Stockton's first season with Morecambe he scored 5. May got 9 in 44 in his first full season in League Two for Cheltenham.

You'd have been calling for them both to be drummed out of the club and replaced.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 31, 2023 11:54 pm

It's all relative isn't it, and there's a decent argument. Haaland would've scored more goals for Burnley this year than he would have for Southampton.

Stockton has got double figures 3 times in his career (and by Vic's age had never done it). One was in a team getting promoted from L2. The other lower mid table in league 1.

Vic has done it once, lower mid table in L1.

If you're looking at goals per game, you need to weight firstly for the level, goals in the Champo count for way more than in L2. Then you need to account for the standard of the team, goals for a team in the bottom 3 count for more than top of the league, plus position, harder to score from out wide than up top.

Essentially xG is trying to account for at least part of that, albeit it's flawed.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 am

Probably worth noting that Hart has whipped off the fig leaf and is now just saying The Bond is primarily being spent on players. Infrastructure spending is "secondary."

So we've crowdfunded a transfer budget and (from my experience talking to people) mislead a lot of people about what they were buying into.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:08 am

I have t seen the Hart comments but for me that’s not a good look. If you’ve given a chunk of your savings to a transfer kitty and don’t like the signing it’s not going to generate a good feeling between club/player/fan. “I paid for you - you are shite- where’s my refund” etc

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:20 am

34 pages with barely a sniff of an actual transfer rumour is pretty good going.

As enthralling as the debate over the merits of a striker we’re not going to sign has been, I’m quite up for having some more meaty links thrown our way.

The best Iles can do this morning is bring up the name of Lee Bonis once again, this time in relation to him being called up to a Norn Iron training camp. Whether he’s trying to drop a hint, or is merely dragging up an old rumour is uncertain.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:24 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 am
Probably worth noting that Hart has whipped off the fig leaf and is now just saying The Bond is primarily being spent on players. Infrastructure spending is "secondary."

So we've crowdfunded a transfer budget and (from my experience talking to people) mislead a lot of people about what they were buying into.
On the website on the launch of the bond it states…
Funds raised from the Wanderers Bond will be used to supplement sporting enhancements including player recruitment, training facilities and advanced sports science, and to the development of revenue generating facilities at the University of Bolton Stadium and for improving connectivity at the stadium.
Anyone who claims to be mislead either didn’t read the information. Or did read it and just ignored it and pretended in their own head it didn’t say what it clearly did.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:25 am

Nothing you don't already know, but...If Lee Bonis highlights well in the coming Northern Irish side (along with Charles and Toal) training trials, it's highly likely his profile will draw more attention than just us. A good performance level from him might well shut us out of a bidding war. Being one of those rare animals that didn't want to see Kachunga go, it does raise the question as to are we chasing moonbeams to prove points that new brooms sweep cleaner than Trigger's old brush? I obviously don't expect an answer, but the thought remains...just wondering. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:25 am
Nothing you don't already know, but...If Lee Bonis highlights well in the coming Northern Irish side (along with Charles and Toal) training trials, it's highly likely his profile will draw more attention than just us. A good performance level from him might well shut us out of a bidding war. Being one of those rare animals that didn't want to see Kachunga go, it does raise the question as to are we chasing moonbeams to prove points that new brooms sweep cleaner than Trigger's old brush? I obviously don't expect an answer, but the thought remains...just wondering. :)
Kachunga made 38 league appearances last season playing over 1300 minutes of league football.

He scored 0 goals.

I get that someone is going to come along and say his 0 goals was impressive based on his expected xG or something but for me as much as he did for us at Wembley etc - you just can’t carry a forward who in the last two seasons in 70 league appearances he’s scored twice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:51 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 am

Not sure this is one for the transfer thread but, there's 600 people put dosh in. If you've managed to get through the sign-up process which in and of itself confers a certain amount of nous - then I'd suspect you weren't the sort to be easily misled by the Offer documents.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:10 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:08 am
I have t seen the Hart comments but for me that’s not a good look. If you’ve given a chunk of your savings to a transfer kitty and don’t like the signing it’s not going to generate a good feeling between club/player/fan. “I paid for you - you are shite- where’s my refund” etc
Plenty folk say that anyway. And worse...

Hart comments are in this piece.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... n-2023-24/

Sonds like we'll have snazzy LED ad boards between the upper and lower tier.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:51 am
Not sure this is one for the transfer thread but, there's 600 people put dosh in. If you've managed to get through the sign-up process which in and of itself confers a certain amount of nous - then I'd suspect you weren't the sort to be easily misled by the Offer documents.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to have stopped at least a few.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:26 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 am
Worthy4England wrote:
I'm not entirely sympathetic. This was not a simple sign-up and hand over your cash transaction. There wasn't any opportunity to "create a login and just transfer £500"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:43 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:26 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 am
Worthy4England wrote:
I'm not entirely sympathetic. This was not a simple sign-up and hand over your cash transaction. There wasn't any opportunity to "create a login and just transfer £500"
Aye this. It weren’t easy. And the offer document and associated press spelled out clearly what the bond was raising funds for. Nobody can possibly have been mislead.

Mislead would be not fronting player recruitment in the offer but introducing it now. That didn’t happen though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:47 pm

As I say, I've spoken to people who were surprised by what Hart had to say (and have put money in). There's a reason that the advertising rules are so strict around financial instruments in other industries, including where emphasis in placed.

Thankfully 3000 whittled down to 600, so you'd think the majority of "I'm a fan and putting money in" types got filtered out. Given the number of people in the pot vs the money the majority won't be small sums. That hopefully means most were careful to review everything fully.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Kachunga made 38 league appearances last season playing over 1300 minutes of league football.

He scored 0 goals.

I get that someone is going to come along and say his 0 goals was impressive based on his expected xG or something but for me as much as he did for us at Wembley etc - you just can’t carry a forward who in the last two seasons in 70 league appearances he’s scored twice.
Football isn't entirely about who scores goals as long as someone does the spadework. Thought you might have said that somewhere?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:06 pm
Football isn't entirely about who scores goals as long as someone does the spadework. Thought you might have said that somewhere?
There was a lot to like about Kacha, but ultimately forwards have to offer more raw numbers than he did.

Kev Davies was a "spadework" player, but he also chipped in with a few goals and assists.

Kacha did the tactical work really well and we need to try and get that side of things out of Adeboyejo and any forwards we bring in this summer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:30 pm

Charlton have made a formal bid for Alfie May.

May and Leaburn as a pairing would terrify League One.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

He scored 0 goals.

Not every player needs to score 20 goals a season but a forward needs to get some. I’m not sure that’s controversial.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:38 pm
Not every player needs to score 20 goals a season but a forward needs to get some. I’m not sure that’s controversial.
Its a post-season Thursday afternoon and there are no transfer rumours.

We might as well make everything controversial.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:46 pm

COVENTRY
Fankaty Dabo, Julien Dacosta, Todd Kane, Sean Maguire, Michael Rose, Martyn Waghorn and Tyler Walker will all leave the Sky Blues following the conclusion of their contracts.

Under-21s players Will Bapaga, Tom Billson, George Burroughs, Ricardo Dinanga, Aidan Finnegan, Jay McGrath, Harrison Nee and Blaine Rowe will also leave the Club.

Captain Liam Kelly has been offered a new one-year contract.

Jonathan Panzo (Nottingham Forest), Callum Doyle (Manchester City), Brooke Norton-Cuffy (Arsenal), Josh Wilson-Esbrand (Manchester City) and Luke McNally (Burnley) return to their parent clubs following the end of their loan deals with the Sky Blues.
BARNSLEY
Players aged 24 and over as of 30 June 2023 who have been released: Clarke Oduor.

Players aged under 24 as of 30 June 2023 who have been released: Jack Butterfill, Keegan Hartley, Kareem Hassan-Smith, Jordan Helliwell, Will Lancaster, Rudi Pache, Jason Sraha.

Players aged 24 and over as of 30 June 2023 who have been retained or have a contract offer pending: Mads Andersen, Nicky Cadden, Brad Collins, Barry Cotter, Robbie Cundy, Devante Cole, Herbie Kane, Aaron Leya Iseka, Conor McCarthy, James Norwood, Adam Phillips, Oli Shaw, Luke Thomas.

Players aged under 24 as of 30 June 2023 who have been retained or have a contract offer pending: Joe Ackroyd, Josh Benson, Danny Benson, Luca Connell, Paul Cooper, Kieren Flavell, Adam Hayton, Liam Kitching, Aiden Marsh, Jasper Moon, Harrison Nejman, Jon Russell, Jamie Searle, Fabio Jalo, Callum Styles, Eduino Vaz, Jordan Williams, Charlie Winfield, Matty Wolfe.
Still no public word from Cardiff, Sheffield United and Watford - although as I understand the rules, they will have had to submit their list to the EFL by the third Saturday in May - or Luton and Sheffield Wednesday, who as play-off contenders get until four days after their last game (yesterday for the Hatters, tomorrow for the Owls). The EFL has to publish the lists by next Saturday (10th).