Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Snog, Marry, Avoid: Summer 2023 Transfer Window

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:47 am

It wasn't Bolton who made it public. Bristol told local reporters, who reported it so it was in the public domain. Evatt couldn't just put a couple of pencils up his nose. He had to approach it head on with the media when asked about it
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:57 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:53 pm
Back to borrowing a teenage wingback then :-D
Aye - until someone bids big money for Dion.....
There seems to be some links with Stoke and Watford, dunno if they're "real"...wouldn't want to lose Dion right now.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:27 am

No realistic amount of money we'd get for Dion would be worth our while selling, surely

Our top scorer. Probably the 'face' of the team. Fans favourite and his goals could be the difference between going up and not. For the sake of what, a couple of million?

There's nobody within our reach that could replace him

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:39 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:27 am
No realistic amount of money we'd get for Dion would be worth our while selling, surely

Our top scorer. Probably the 'face' of the team. Fans favourite and his goals could be the difference between going up and not. For the sake of what, a couple of million?

There's nobody within our reach that could replace him
As Evatt says every player has a valuation on them. If someone meets that valuation its up to the player.

One assumes Dion's valuation is suitably high but as you say the difficulty is that it's a bit like selling Kane - no matter what you get finding another proven 20 goal a season striker down here who does the work required by IE is going to be very hard.

Bottom line though - we are a business and player trading is a key part of that. At some point someone will come in for a key player and we'll ultimately have to sell them. As good as Santos has been this season thus far - I think we could arguably bridge his loss more easily than Charles. Toal I think could do a job there for now and we could find other promising centre backs to learn the role. Will they be as good? Maybe not. But I think finding a Charles replacement in August is basically a non starter.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:56 am

Yeah, a hefty 7 figure bid would be a real tester for the board. Everyone has a price, and you'd think silly money (£5m+) they'd probably feel they have to sell. Something more like £3m, you can see makes sense to the business but not the football side of things. Hopefully it's nonsense.

Would be interesting to see how Dion reacted too. Not been averse previously to toy chucking.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:33 am

£2-3m guaranteed for the player, or a possible £7-8m for the promotion prize?

That's the gamble

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:57 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:56 am
Yeah, a hefty 7 figure bid would be a real tester for the board. Everyone has a price, and you'd think silly money (£5m+) they'd probably feel they have to sell. Something more like £3m, you can see makes sense to the business but not the football side of things. Hopefully it's nonsense.

Would be interesting to see how Dion reacted too. Not been averse previously to toy chucking.
Quite so. Strong-willed, which is a boon when he's inside the tent p!ssing out.

He seems happy and valued. I suspect (if it's true, which it may not entirely be) he might "do a GT" and turn it down. But he is older than GT, has been prepared to up sticks, and may (I dunno) have more family to look after. Is he a wanderer or a Wanderer? Guess we'll see.

He would certainly be a big loss, even if he's a big profit.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:24 am

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:33 am
£2-3m guaranteed for the player, or a possible £7-8m for the promotion prize?

That's the gamble
This is the crux of the matter.

We’d have to be confident that we could bring someone else in who wouldn’t diminish our chances of promotion.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:25 pm

Thomason signs a new contract to 2027. Presumably Evatt was hoping the pen would break…. :wink:

https://x.com/officialbwfc/status/16914 ... o4TppbHkNQ

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm

Haha I did wonder if this would be in the offing shortly after.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:25 pm
Thomason signs a new contract to 2027. Presumably Evatt was hoping the pen would break…. :wink:

It does look like Evatt wanted him to stay, however it also looks like GT has basically said I'll stay if you give me a pay rise.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:36 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:25 pm

It does look like Evatt wanted him to stay, however it also looks like GT has basically said I'll stay if you give me a pay rise.
Wasn't it not long ago that he signed a deal already.

Makes sense to sign him on a longer deal if he and the club are happy. His contract value should represent his contribution so hopefully this puts him closer to the rest of the first teamers. He's not a youth team player anymore and that should be reflected accordingly.

Just goes to show a positive sign for all those potential players looking to sign for us. Transitional pathway and not just there to be sold.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:53 pm

The pay-off from keeping Thomason will be due summer '25. So a contract to '27 makes loads of sense.

The calculation will be that we go up this year and his value matures after a year in the Championship. Then with 2 years left on his contract you hope to have him at the peak of his value.

We keep getting all the big decisions right when it comes to contracts.

Charles needs to be next, if he stays. You don't want to risk one of the top EFL goal scorers getting promoted to the Championship with one year left on his deal. Or leaving on a free after a year at that level. He needs an extra year. It might cost us £150-200,000 to tie him down, but the potential benefit is in the millions.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:53 pm
The pay-off from keeping Thomason will be due summer '25. So a contract to '27 makes loads of sense.

The calculation will be that we go up this year and his value matures after a year in the Championship. Then with 2 years left on his contract you hope to have him at the peak of his value.

We keep getting all the big decisions right when it comes to contracts.

Charles needs to be next, if he stays. You don't want to risk one of the top EFL goal scorers getting promoted to the Championship with one year left on his deal. Or leaving on a free after a year at that level. He needs an extra year. It might cost us £150-200,000 to tie him down, but the potential benefit is in the millions.
IMO he wouldn't get a game for us should we go up, let's be honest if we continue playing well and getting results he won't get that many starts this season in the League. It's a move by the club to potentially get a higher transfer fee should other clubs come in for him that are nearer to home. Also if most are honest with themselves he's a decent mid table League 1 midfielder & personally I don't think that he's got that much more development in him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:10 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:08 pm
IMO he wouldn't get a game for us should we go up, let's be honest if we continue playing well and getting results he won't get that many starts this season in the League. It's a move by the club to potentially get a higher transfer fee should other clubs come in for him that are nearer to home. Also if most are honest with themselves he's a decent mid table League 1 midfielder & personally I don't think that he's got that much more development in him.
The club clearly feels differently. As did Bristol City's recruitment team.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:40 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:10 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:08 pm
The club clearly feels differently. As did Bristol City's recruitment team.
So we don't now need a new DM in this window, as Thomason is a championship level defensive midfielder all of a sudden & there's me thinking he's probably currently our 6th choice midfielder.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:02 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:40 pm
So we don't now need a new DM in this window, as Thomason is a championship level defensive midfielder all of a sudden & there's me thinking he's probably currently our 6th choice midfielder.
Were we a more transitional side Thomason would be starting most games.

We're a possession side, so he's having to pick up skills. That's improving him as a player, but it takes time. A young player can come into a side as a regular if their natural attributes fit the style, but when they don't the player has to learn new tricks.

What sets Thomason apart from most young mids is that he seems to be picking up those skills he needs, rather than just developing his existing skill set to a higher level. He's becoming a better possession player.

He started 15 games last season at 21. We do need another player in, because it's about having different tools for different problems; but that's no comment on Thomason. The player we need in doesn't look like Thomason, nor do the players we have signed.

Thommo isn't currently 6th choice anything. He's first choice 2nd-ball mid, when we need that option. Hence why Evatt put him in the play-off 11. The squad we've built offers Evat different tools to win games and we will need them all.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:06 pm

Well, I'd argue that he's not great on the 2nd ball. It looks like one of his biggest weaknesses to me - And "first choice 2nd-ball mid" sounds like something you've made up

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:11 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:06 pm
Well, I'd argue that he's not great on the 2nd ball. It looks like one of his biggest weaknesses to me - And "first choice 2nd-ball mid" sounds like something you've made up
Evatt specifically said Thomason was included in the play-off semi to help us win 2nd-balls against Barnsley.

The manager picked him for the biggest game of the season for that role, so I'm not sure how I'm making it up.

If you don't like the phrase...what would you prefer?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:17 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:11 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:06 pm
Evatt specifically said Thomason was included in the play-off semi to help us win 2nd-balls against Barnsley.

The manager picked him for the biggest game of the season for that role, so I'm not sure how I'm making it up.

If you don't like the phrase...what would you prefer?
Christ I agree with Ghost. To me it’s pretty obvious that if you expect more transitions you pick Thomason over Sheehan or Morley because he’s going to cover the ground better and win the ball back better.

If you expect to dominate possession then Sheehan and Morley are more comfortable on the ball.

I would say though that Thomason for me is better at tempo on the ball…he is more of a move the game along type and at times that is where Morley and Sheehan get it wrong.

But Evatt in his summer coaching podcast was pretty clear about different skills sets for each position and I’m certain Thomason is that anticipate and react to the transitions pick.